What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Spenser: Confidential on Netflix.

It's like two directors made two movies, one a gritty, dark cop corruption movie like The Departed and the other a ridiculous buddy cop movie like The Other Guys but somehow they got edited into each other. Tonally, it's all over the place.

This film has scenes where a man is hacked to death with machetes, a wife finds her husband shot to death in his car, a scene where Mark Wahlberg is attacked by a guard dog and escapes by slapsticking his way through a child's playhouse, then a cat is tortured to death and a woman is graphically beaten to death by a man, all in the first half hour.

Got to watch Onward, the latest Pixar film since they released it digitally early because of the virus. Really liked it, made me tear up a bit towards the end. Probably somewhere in the upper middle if we're ranking Pixar films, but it's great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Midsommar was straight up weird and I can't decide if it was brilliant or just unsettling.

I really liked it the first time around and then loved it on a re-watch. It's fucking brilliant and Florence Pugh is out of this world in it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Baddar said:

Onward

Really enjoyable. The 10 year old liked it too, I think. 

It's got a slightly clunky first act, IMO, but then the actual adventure aspect of it begins and the rest of the movie is really lovely. The ending got me a lot harder than most Pixar endings, and every Pixar ending gets me lol.

• Like 1

Gemini Man

Interesting concept, but ruined by lousy CGI. Should have spent more time and money on the CGI, or waited for advances in technology. I'm betting people seeing the CGI in the trailer and going "IT'S CRAP!" is what hurt the film at the Box Office.

8 hours ago, Benjamin said:

It's got a slightly clunky first act, IMO, but then the actual adventure aspect of it begins and the rest of the movie is really lovely. The ending got me a lot harder than most Pixar endings, and every Pixar ending gets me lol.

Yeah, it did seem to take a while to get going, so the overall length of the film ended up about right (1hr 40). If it had gone past 2hrs I'm not sure I'd have been as engrossed in it. I didn't feel bored at any point, and it had me laughing a couple of times too.

• Like 1

Under the stay at home order, the wife and I have embarked on watching all of the Star Wars films in chronological order (I'd only seen episodes 4-6 years ago) and we've watched Episodes 1-3 and Solo: A Star Wars Story so far. Holy shit, I never really believed that The Phantom Menace could be as bad as people said. It's sooooo boring, and Jar Jar Binks is as obnoxious as people claimed. Terrible. Two hours of bickering about trade routes. And how ineffective was Darth Maul?

Anyway, I enjoyed both Episodes 2 and 3 that followed. I was expecting Solo to be terrible based on reviews and social media posts I'd seen, but I didn't mind it and feel like fans will be missing out if they don't follow up with a sequel seeing as how it ended.

Midsommar was just ok - the actors all did pretty well, setting was great, but the plot was pretty lackluster. A good film to be sure but nothing mindblowing. 

5 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Watching the first episode of Tiger King, fucking hell it is mental 

Samesies! Just finished episode 2 though. It gets weirder.

I'm only a few minutes into episode 4 of Tiger King.

Spoiler

I'm really unnerved at how obsessed Joe Exotic is with Carol Lewis, and the stuff where he's reading her diary excerpts is just gross. I don't doubt that it's plausible she killed her husband, but the wild-ass conspiracy theories that people like Joe and Doc Antle and the rest keep throwing out there are just.. wild. If you believe them, literally everyone around Carol is involved in some massive coverup of her murdering her husband, right down to her husband's former handyman. It's mental. 

Also I went into episode 2 like "Doc Antle seems.. fairly sane for an insane person", then they talk more about him in episode 2 and I was like "I stand corrected."

2 hours ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

I'm only a few minutes into episode 4 of Tiger King.

Hide contents

I'm really unnerved at how obsessed Joe Exotic is with Carol Lewis, and the stuff where he's reading her diary excerpts is just gross. I don't doubt that it's plausible she killed her husband, but the wild-ass conspiracy theories that people like Joe and Doc Antle and the rest keep throwing out there are just.. wild. If you believe them, literally everyone around Carol is involved in some massive coverup of her murdering her husband, right down to her husband's former handyman. It's mental. 

Also I went into episode 2 like "Doc Antle seems.. fairly sane for an insane person", then they talk more about him in episode 2 and I was like "I stand corrected."

Spoiler

Joe is nuts but I feel like Carole definitely was involved in her husband's death. He didn't just disappear. I think he was straight up fed to the tigers and she had help from someone (probably his handyman or her brother) to make it look like he disappeared. Joe's attitude towards Carole keeps getting more and more insane as the episodes go on so strap yourself in!

The most "sane" people in the entire thing are the Tony Montana guy (who is still clearly insane "I mean I didn't do it but I was there when they used the circular saw"), the guy with the prosthetic legs and the girl with a missing arm (who both are still around all this insanity which says a lot about them as well.)