The Final Countdown

EddieG

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erm, Liberty City IS New York City.

I imagine this time it'll be the whole New York state, though. I really wasn't bothered where they'd take this game, out of the choices of New York and UK/Europe, as both has advantages. What I'm concerned with is that obviously the game area is again going to be much bigger than the game before and we all know that San Andreas was made so massive by all that countryside. New York has no (or very little?) countryside, so I'm interested to see what they do with that. It probably just means an absolutely HUGE city-covered game, covering all aspects of NY state. Also glad that there's a major sign of the Russians being back in the game. It also probably means that the game will again be heavily gang influenced like GTA3 and include the Mafia, Yakuza, Triads, Cartels etc.

Is there any clear indication of what year this is set in?

erm, Liberty City IS New York City.

I imagine this time it'll be the whole New York state, though. I really wasn't bothered where they'd take this game, out of the choices of New York and UK/Europe, as both has advantages. What I'm concerned with is that obviously the game area is again going to be much bigger than the game before and we all know that San Andreas was made so massive by all that countryside. New York has no (or very little?) countryside, so I'm interested to see what they do with that. It probably just means an absolutely HUGE city-covered game, covering all aspects of NY state. Also glad that there's a major sign of the Russians being back in the game. It also probably means that the game will again be heavily gang influenced like GTA3 and include the Mafia, Yakuza, Triads, Cartels etc.

Is there any clear indication of what year this is set in?

I don't see why it wouldn't be present day. GTA III was "present day." So IV would have to be "present day" as well or it wouldn't really be a sequel, now would it?

I don't think that's important. Vice City was obviously '80s and San Andreas early '90s. If you just mean sequel as in GTA3 to GTA4, then I don't think it's important that it takes places later on.

I don't see why it wouldn't be present day. GTA III was "present day." So IV would have to be "present day" as well or it wouldn't really be a sequel, now would it?

I don't think that's important. Vice City was obviously '80s and San Andreas early '90s. If you just mean sequel as in GTA3 to GTA4, then I don't think it's important that it takes places later on.

..but it does look present day. Or at least early '00s. There was no clip of the Twin Towers or anything.

Another disadvantage of this setting then, for me at least is that I think Tommy Vercetti was referred to as dead in San Andreas by the lawyer, so I wanted it to take place in between Vice City and SA.

Uh, Vice City and San Andreas were just stand alone games so what do they have to do with this? This is GTA III to GTA IV. Of course it has to take place after the setting in GTA III ortherwise calling it GTA IV is stupid.

Well, GTAIII wasn't a direct follow on from GTA 2, was it? I thought 2 was set in the future or something. That being said, the trailer was too short. I know it's only a teaser, but damnit I want to see more. Looks great, I can't wait just roaming around exploring everything.

One thing I'm unsure of though is how it could be Liberty City. Is the basic map going to be the exact same as in III, i.e. the same roads, corners and streets etc? The only way I can see it being of real value and not just another Liberty City Stories is if it is indeed a whole state type deal, and what we know as Liberty City from GTAIII is just the centre part or something. I hope I'll still have a job come October >_>

Looks incredible. And we're going back to Liberty City, baby! I love that it actually feels like NYC with the rampant advertising and eclectic architecture.

But... Liberty is a conglomeration of NYC, Chicago and Jersey. It's quite possible that it's taking the San Andreas route and making the game world an entire state and this is just part of it.

Looks incredible. And we're going back to Liberty City, baby! I love that it actually feels like NYC with the rampant advertising and eclectic architecture.

But... Liberty is a conglomeration of NYC, Chicago and Jersey. It's quite possible that it's taking the San Andreas route and making the game world an entire state and this is just part of it.

Liberty is a mix of NYC and Jersey only. In the Rockstar universe, Carcer City is the Chicago/Detroit analogue.

No shit, I didn't know that. Now I wish I had Manhunt still, I sort of want to take a more in depth look at the designs of the cities involved, and maybe the police cars. I was sort of hoping they'd do a GTA based on Detroit at some point, though I'd call it something cliche like GTA: Motor City.

Liberty is a mix of NYC and Jersey only. In the Rockstar universe, Carcer City is the Chicago/Detroit analogue.

Now that you mention that, I could see Liberty and Carcer being cities you play in. Carcer could have the really shady underworld and be much more dangerous to travel to at night.