SmackDown vs. Raw 2008

Riceman 4K

I don't get the point of this new submission system. I'm glad they're revamping it, but why would you NOT want to just pull back as hard as you could as long as you could hold it? Where's the advantage to letting off a little bit?

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the point of this new submission system. I'm glad they're revamping it, but why would you NOT want to just pull back as hard as you could as long as you could hold it? Where's the advantage to letting off a little bit?

What if you don't play with the stamina bars on though? I do, I like 'em, but most of my friends who have the game turn them off, so where's the advantage in not pulling back as hard as you can then?

Guest digrind

What if you don't play with the stamina bars on though? I do, I like 'em, but most of my friends who have the game turn them off, so where's the advantage in not pulling back as hard as you can then?

I suppose it might be a pain in the ass (I don't do it) But if you REALLY wanted custom themes, all you'd have to do if your on Xbox is play it in the background while the guy's coming out...

And unless you're one of those that plays all entrances every single time they play (which most people I know of don't) then doing that once or twice should be good enough.

So I've been playing a lot of Fight Night Round 3 when an idea for Smackdown vs. Raw came to me. It's derived from the create your own legend career mode.

It's a pretty simple concept, but could add some more depth to season/gameplay in general. Basically, you create a CAW, and start at the bottom of the barrel with him. They start you fighting jobbers (randomly generated workers, Steve Marsh or something generic) in smaller arenas and house shows. Basically, you work your way up until you're getting matches with guys like Stevie Richards or Val Venis (well, whomever took their spot in Smackdown vs. Raw as low rated workers). As you work your way up past weaker competition you'll earn attribute points so that you are ready for tougher workers.

Then of course, if you pick a guy like the Undertaker for your season, you wont have to deal with all of that. You'll be instantly ready to contend.

I know that not everybody would enjoy that idea, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Personally, I'd like to be able to build my caw up that way. It's sort of derived from the Attitude season mode, except that the Attitude season mode made everybody go through this route, Undertaker or CAW.

Smackdown 4 had that didn't they? I remember if you created a CAW he'd have to start at Heat and face the likes of Maven and Spike Dudley and then if you impress the General Manager calls you up to the full roster.

Actually, you can lose all your matches and you'll be called up. You're down for two months.

I wish they wouldn't fuck up season mode, I hate GM mode, and never play it, I don't like the new seasons, prefer HTCP and before style better, but at least Season is playable. WWE24/7 doesn't entice me. Unless this is just their way of saying we're dumping GM mode and going to a new season mode without all the GM hassle.

But I think they should work on CAW changes, make them more superstar like, I hate the way CAW's compare to the guys in the game. I also hate the clothing and appearance options that the SDvR games have to them. And what about CAE? Create an Entrance should have more features like that of RAW and RAW 2. And CUSTOM ENTRANCE THEMES! And I wouldn't mind some allowance of letting you change the superstar outfits as well, or give us two or three a person, and not suits.

All in all though, some of the changes look like they'll add more to the game, and I hope it does. Although I hope their not all having to do with the new grapple system, as I still don't use it.

• 2 months later...

It's not a great screencap, but Sandman looks fucking BADASS. And Bobby Lashley looks entirely nonplussed by the situation.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of moveset guys like Sandman are given, because I've always found that its difficult to put together a decent moveset for brawlers/hardcore workers on the previous games.

This looks great anyway. Hopefully they'll let you have custom themes, or at least throw in a mix of original music, and maybe some real songs that aren't just generic nu-metal and bad rap, and a less linear season mode...either way, I'm psyched. Not that there was ever a possibility of me not buying it, anyway.

It's not a great screencap, but Sandman looks fucking BADASS. And Bobby Lashley looks entirely nonplussed by the situation.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of moveset guys like Sandman are given, because I've always found that its difficult to put together a decent moveset for brawlers/hardcore workers on the previous games.

This looks great anyway. Hopefully they'll let you have custom themes, or at least throw in a mix of original music, and maybe some real songs that aren't just generic nu-metal and bad rap, and a less linear season mode...either way, I'm psyched. Not that there was ever a possibility of me not buying it, anyway.

That's another interesting point, when it comes to stuff like the White Russian Legsweep; hopefully that'll lead to the inclusion of more weapon finishers. I'd love that, and I'd uber-mark for the inclusion of Steve Blackman's old Kendo Stick Back Suplex. And, yeah, if we don't get Rolling Rock and Heinekenrana...

That's another interesting point, when it comes to stuff like the White Russian Legsweep; hopefully that'll lead to the inclusion of more weapon finishers. I'd love that, and I'd uber-mark for the inclusion of Steve Blackman's old Kendo Stick Back Suplex. And, yeah, if we don't get Rolling Rock and Heinekenrana...

I really dig seeing Sandman as a character in a WWE game. Could Tommy Dreamer finally make his presence known on a Smackdown game!?

I'll also be very disappointed if they don't add custom themes for this years model. There is absolutely no reason not to have it when they did it on regular X-Box for those Raw games. I'd love to have a CAW roll out to the ring to the tune of G.G. Allin, or something equally perverse.

Wouldn't Heinekenrana constitute some kind of copyright issue?

Still, Sandman looks fucking awesome, although I hope the screenshot was just poorly timed, and victims of attacks don't just like there indifferent.

It's all sounding good so far, but as with previous years, they're just chatting bollocks. I doubt it'll be anywhere near our expectations, but we'll all buy it anyway, and it'll be generally enjoyable, but we all know it could've been so much more.

Do you think WWe are going to want to take Benoit out if they had already included him?

And Sandman does look fucking bad ass in that picture, now I'm just hoping for Dreamer, Mahoney, Stevie and CM Punk from ECW to come.

I was actually thinking about this and if they were to remove Benoit it'd be fair enough. The thing i'm worried about is them trying to sever all ties and taking out stuff like the Crossface and his German Suplexes. We need to keep moves in, we had enough go last year.

Also, Sandman has raised my interest in this game. If they put in some nicer weapon mechanics and custom music then I am so there.

Edited by TheEllisComplex