MMA News and Discussion Thread

Some questions I'd like to discuss about UFC 92 and the aftermath of it...

1. When do you guys think Brock Lesnar will fight the winner of Nog vs Mir. Is UFC 96 (march 7) too early? Main-event for UFC 97 looks to be Anderson Silva Vs Thales Leites so that would postpone the heavyweight title fight to UFC 98. Or do you think they will keep it reserved for the UFC 100?

2. Which upcoming fight is the N°1 contender for Light Heavyweight? Jackson Vs Wanderlei Silva? Or Machida Vs Thiago Silva? Or do you guys think the guy of those 4 that makes the best impression will get the shot?

3. Any predictions on matches that will be on the card of UFC 100? I think Dana is allready thinking about this card so... Anderson Silva is probably fighting at UFC 97. GSP Vs Penn at UFC 94. So an Anderson Silva Vs GSP could happen at UFC 100 (if Anderson isn't badly injured after his Leites-fight)?

1. March has been the date touted for the final of this mini-tournament since it started, so barring injury I imagine that is what they'll look to do. Dana has learnt the hard way recently that it is best to do the money fights as early as possible so nothing untoward can happen and stop it from happening or being as big as it could have been. Right now, I imagine the match with Mir would get a bigger buyrate, but a match with a Nog won't be too far behind, depends what happens in the match between the two.

2. Neither has really been designated the number one contenders match as far as I'm aware, but I imagine Jackson/Silva is being seen as the title contenders match. Machida, while awesome, isn't a big name despite beating Tito and isn't the most exciting fighter which really holds him back in the LHW division, which is often seen as the exciting centerpiece of the company.

3. Wasn't the rumour for UFC 100 that it would have as many title matches on as possible? If that is the case, I imagine we'll have to wait and see who the champs are closer to the time before we can speculate on the card.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

It's kind of scaring me how little buzz there seems to be for 92...it's the stacked card to end stacked cards, but I'm hearing nothing. Maybe I'll feel differently after tomorrow (which I'll be spending around very casual MMA fans).

Yeah, I agree that it hasn't been talked about much and doesn't seem to be promoted as well... It could be the combination of a few things. UFC 91 was overhyped, IMO, because Couture was coming out of retirement and it would put to rest the question of whether Lesnar was deserving of his "push" (not sure what the MMA equivalent is, lol) or not... And also yesterday was Christmas, New Years is coming up... so I think those two things put a bit of a damper on the festivities.

It's still going to be kickass (hopefully). Here's to Wandy making it 3-0! :D

Some questions I'd like to discuss about UFC 92 and the aftermath of it...

2. Which upcoming fight is the N°1 contender for Light Heavyweight? Jackson Vs Wanderlei Silva? Or Machida Vs Thiago Silva? Or do you guys think the guy of those 4 that makes the best impression will get the shot?

The scenarios I think are likely are;

If Forrest and Page both win, I think Page will get the next title shot, regardless of the outcome of Machida/Silva.

If Forrest, Wandy, and Machida win, then I can see Machida finally getting a shot.

If Forrest wins, Wandy wins, and Lyoto loses, somebody named Silva will get the next title shot... I'm quite proud of coming up with this last one. I'm a deductive reasoning wiz.

I think it's a real toss up who gets the next shot if Rashad walks out with the title.

The UFC and Joe Silva can throw down which ever opponent they want, but I'm sure Rashad's means of victory over Forrest and also how the calender will look in the New Year, which cards need to be filled with what caliber of a bout, would have something to do with it.

Rashad isn't quite the star that Forrest is, so if you are looking for an opponent with name value, it only makes sense that he gets the winner of Silva/Page. Likely a top billed main event in itself, Rashad vs. Silva/Rampage is easily a more attractive sell, with bigger potential gains for Evans, but also greater odds for the new champ. Both Page and Rashad have KO'd Chuck, so that makes even more sense. If Rashad can have success standing again with Forrest, possibly KO'ing him in the end, then going with the scenario of Rashad continuing to showcase his stand up against another skilled striker would add to the intrigue.

Now, Rashad may benefit from getting a crack at a much lesser experienced and tested Machida or Thiago Silva. It would also come at the cost of fan interest and would need to be co-promoted with another main event. Nothing wrong with that, there are enough high profile bouts that should come to life in 09, I'm sure you could find a suitable spot for it. Forrest, much like Machida, has been pegged with description of being "ELUSIVE". If Rashad can go in and physically impose his will, utilize his wrestling skill to control Forrest, and if Machida beats Thiago, then the scenario of Rashad attempting to have similar success against Machida is intriguing as well.

I hope Forrest wins. The story is just too good to end this soon. Forrest Griffin, a nobody to TUF champ, to UFC champ, to successful defending champ. I'd like that. I think it's really the best fit for the UFC. Forrest is the guy UFC wants as it's poster boy. He's not too young, he's not too old, he doesn't look overly threatening, but nobody is going to deny he won't whoop ass, he's got the heart of champion and it gets proven every fight, he's entertaining, he's skilled, he's charismatic, and most importantly, he always comes off as a good ol, everyday, American guy. As great as a road back to the title story is, having Forrest further continue down the road of a legend is much more fun to watch right now. Plus, there are many more elite bouts I'd rather see Forrest in there for five round for than Rashad.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

UFC veteran Justin Eilers was shot and killed at a family get together on Christmas night in Nampa, Idaho.

Eilers, 30, died of a single gunshot wound from James Robert Malec, 48, who has been charged murder in the second degree, according to the Canyon County Sheriff's Office.

The incident happened around 10:30 p.m. and Malec was booked at 2:06 a.m. in the Canyon County Jail.

The Sheriff's Office is calling the incident a "domestic disturbance."

"We had multiple people that were at the house that we talked to this evening and on all accounts a disturbance that escalated to an unfortunate end." Lieutenant Marv Dashiell was quoted on Idaho's news outlet KTVB.

There were family, friends and children in the house at the time of the shooting.

Eilers (13-7-1) is a longtime member of the Miletich Fighting Systems and in his most recent fight, challenged for the first-ever EliteXC heavyweight title in a losing effort against Antonio Silva.

Eilers, who competed for the UFC from August 2004 to February 2006, also challenged for the UFC heavyweight belt at UFC 53 in June 2005 against then-champion Andrei Arlovski.

http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2008...rs-shot-killed

Terrible news...

So can we admit that Nog's far past his prime now?

No... but we can admit that he cannot continue to fight the way he has throughout his career. He's taken too many good shots, and just can't take too many more. He needs to start being the aggressor in his fights, and he needs to develop a better striking game.

The days are gone, where Nog could take a pounding and then submit you. He needs to be assertive and control his fights from here-on out.

Frank Mir looked absolutely fantastic though. I don't think there's a Heavyweight in the UFC who could have beaten the Frank Mir that showed up tonight.

No... but we can admit that he cannot continue to fight the way he has throughout his career. He's taken too many good shots, and just can't take too many more. He needs to start being the aggressor in his fights, and he needs to develop a better striking game.

The days are gone, where Nog could take a pounding and then submit you. He needs to be assertive and control his fights from here-on out.

Frank Mir looked absolutely fantastic though. I don't think there's a Heavyweight in the UFC who could have beaten the Frank Mir that showed up tonight.

Was it a case of Frank Mir looking great or was it a case of Nog looking shitty? I'm still not sure, to be honest.

Was it a case of Frank Mir looking great or was it a case of Nog looking shitty? I'm still not sure, to be honest.

I really think it was a mix. Mir's striking was FANTASTIC tonight, the best it's ever been, and his gas tank didn't need to be tested. I was pretty pissed at first at the early stoppage, but once I saw the replay, it was pretty clear. I am so shocked that Nog lost. The guy has taken shots from some of the best in the world, but he's not the fighter he was in 2005.

Tonight was a night of surprises. I had Wandy, Griffin, and Nog, and well... I am still kind of in awe right now.

Edited by Master Shakespeare

I really think it was a mix. Mir's striking was FANTASTIC tonight, the best it's ever been, and his gas tank didn't need to be tested. I was pretty pissed at first at the early stoppage, but once I saw the replay, it was pretty clear. I am so shocked that Nog lost. The guy has taken shots from some of the best in the world, but he's not the fighter he was in 2005.

Tonight was a night of surprises. I had Wandy, Griffin, and Nog, and well... I am still kind of in awe right now.

and that would be the key statement. I agree about Mir wholeheartedly.

I really think Wanderlei is done... I don't know if he can continue in the UFC. He's lost to Liddell and Rampage, pretty much securing the fact that he's not a top 10 light heavyweight. I don't know who he could even fight. Besides a possible rematch against Keith Jardine, nothing really stands out to me. I feel bad because I really love Wanderlei, but he's been knocked out now, and a lot of the mystique and the hype is gone...

Meanwhile, I think Rampage is going to get a crack at Evans now, and that should be a really good fight. Griffin will probably either fight Liddell, or possibly the winner of Machida/Thiago Silva or the winner of Henderson/Franklin. The Light Heavyweight division is STACKED, probably the most stacked division in the UFC right now, especially considering Diego Sanchez just dropped down to 155 and Jon Fitch is apparently getting some bitch treatment by being put on the undercard...

My top ten heavyweights right now:

Fedor
Arlovski
Mir - Seems kind of high, but he's beaten both Lesnar and Nogueira
Lesnar
Nog/Barnett - I know Nog beat Barnett more recently, but I don't know if I can really put one of these guys on top of the other
Couture
Sylvia
Gonzaga
Dos Santos or Ben Rothwell

Top ten light heavyweights:

Evans
Rampage
Griffin
Machida
Liddell
Jardine
Thiago Silva
Hendo
Matyushenko
Wandy

I really don't think Wanderlei is near done in the UFC. The casual fan loves the style of fights he produces, win or lose. He hasn't lost to anyone who isn't a top 5 UFC 205er, so it's not like he's losing to guys he should be steamrolling.

The division is stacked, and there are plenty of potential fights for Silva in the UFC still. He'll bounce back, just like Forrest Griffin will.

In fact, right there... Silva/Griffin... there's a fight I'd like to see, somewhere down the road. Not right now, but sometime.

I really don't think Wanderlei is near done in the UFC. The casual fan loves the style of fights he produces, win or lose. He hasn't lost to anyone who isn't a top 5 UFC 205er, so it's not like he's losing to guys he should be steamrolling.

The division is stacked, and there are plenty of potential fights for Silva in the UFC still. He'll bounce back, just like Forrest Griffin will.

In fact, right there... Silva/Griffin... there's a fight I'd like to see, somewhere down the road. Not right now, but sometime.

Silva versus Rampage tonight was uncharacteristically boring... of course, it was also uncharacteristically short.

But yeah, Silva's lost to Cro Cop, Hendo, Liddell, and Rampage over the last few years. He's only won one out of his last five fights...

I don't know. I just don't think the guy is going to be able to rebound... maybe I'm also buying into what Joe Rogan said, about how once a guy is knocked out that way, it's going to really change him and it's easier to be knocked out in the future.