MMA News and Discussion Thread

Just filled in the gaps from Affliction last night and while it was a good show no doubt, I had more fun with UFC 91 & 92.

- I genuinely thought Arlovski was going to do it. About thirty seconds in he hits a nice right and from then on Fedor kind of goes on the defensive. Counter-Fedor, not something you see very often. Still a great KO win for Fedor but it's not going to do a lot for him, but lets not get into that argument again. Strange decision to go for a flying knee though.

- Josh Barnett bores me to tears.

- Vitor is a striking machine when he's focused and on-form. I get as bored by Lindland as some other people, but there's no denying his ability to control fights and stay out of danger. So to be decimated like that was pretty special.

- What next for Soku? DREAM maybe?

I think Soko just needs to ease himself back into the game. Beating Lil Nog, then Arona, was the best and worst thing that happened to his career. He went from fighting lower tier fighters to being catapulted into facing competition levels above guys he fought before. The shift happened after only three fights.

The jump up clearly happened way too soon, by no fault of his own. On the bright side, Soko is only 24 and has solid experience against quality opponents. As long as he keeps working and stays focused, the best of Soko is probably yet to come.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Just filled in the gaps from Affliction last night and while it was a good show no doubt, I had more fun with UFC 91 & 92.

Agreed. It was okay, nothing special. I also liked UFC 93 more than this too. Some good knockouts from Fedor and Vitor, though.

Also, did anyone else think the commentary was awful? Absolutely awful from all three. Josh Barnett really hit a nice "souffle" didn't he? :shifty: I know he meant to say "su-play" but yeah. :shifty:

Edited by Fitzy

WEC 38

Faber's win was perfectly definitive. I haven't been on the net for more than 15 minutes today, but apparently KID was there last night. SPECULATION!

Anyways, Cerrone vs. Varner was fucking rocketbuster until the end. Jesus, a perfect FOTYC and it all ends with a knee grazing Varner's eye. Fuck.The knee was as much of a grazing blow as you could imagine, it could have cut slices of turkey so thin you wouldn't even been able to see them. I was giving Varner the benefit of the doubt, it looked weak, but it wasn't me on the receiving end of it. But post fight, I'm almost convinced Varner is going to win an Oscar next year. He seemed too over the top in trying to convince everybody he couldn't see.

Both men were impressive, classic striker vs. wrestler/GnP vs. grappler. The fight was Varner's on the scorecards, the take downs giving him the slight edge, IMO, but the ending does not sit well with me at all. Cerrone still seemed to have enough zip on the feet that if he was going to turn it on in round 5, he could have possibly pushed for the finish. At least we get an excuse for a rematch very soon.

Tremendous fight. Disappointing ending.

Regardless, still worth watching if you can

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

WEC 38

Faber's win was perfectly definitive. I haven't been on the net for more than 15 minutes today, but apparently KID was there last night. SPECULATION!

Anyways, Cerrone vs. Varner was fucking rocketbuster until the end. Jesus, a perfect FOTYC and it all ends with a knee grazing Varner's eye. Fuck.The knee was as much of a grazing blow as you could imagine, it could have cut slices of turkey so thin you wouldn't even been able to see them. I was giving Varner the benefit of the doubt, it looked weak, but it wasn't me on the receiving end of it. But post fight, I'm almost convinced Varner is going to win an Oscar next year. He seemed too over the top in trying to convince everybody he couldn't see.

Both men were impressive, classic striker vs. wrestler/GnP vs. grappler. The fight was Varner's on the scorecards, the take downs giving him the slight edge, IMO, but the ending does not sit well with me at all. Cerrone still seemed to have enough zip on the feet that if he was going to turn it on in round 5, he could have possibly pushed for the finish. At least we get an excuse for a rematch very soon.

Tremendous fight. Disappointing ending.

Regardless, still worth watching if you can

Yeah I watched this last night and it was great seeing Faber come back and finish Pulver this time. It was great. Sucks for Pulver as this is his third loss in a row. I hope they don't cut him as he is always a guy I like to see fight.

I agree with the Varner/Cerrone fight. Very good stuff. Cerrone was taking some good shots to the chin and kept coming back. He even had Varner backing up a lot and he kept on stalking him. It's not like they have a list of challengers for the lightweight title that they can't go for an immediate rematch so why not put them back in there again.

Also, I want Todd Harris back. I think he was in Colorado stuck with a snow storm I think I read? He and Frank Mir are pretty good together. Either way the guy who usually hands interviews in and out of the cage was not good. Hell, he isn't even good at doing his normal interviewer job.

Fiveouncesofpain.com is reporting that Condit/Larson II for the WEC Welterweight title, scheduled for WEC 39, is canceled, and that they are likely eliminating the 170 pound weight division in WEC now. I guess with the news that they might be adding a 125 pound weight class, and with really no one left to challenge Condit, it makes sense to eliminate this division as well.

They are also reporting that Condit will debut with the UFC at Fight Night 18 against Martin Kampmann.

I wonder if the lightweight division will eventually be dropped to completely focus on non-overlapping weight classes...

Also Jeremy Stephens takes Hermes Franca's place against Joe Lauzon at Fight Night 17. Should be a much more exiciting fight now.

And on Spike, going head to head with Affliction Day Of Reckoning, the UFC 91 Couture vs. Lesnar replay peaked with 3.3 million viewers for the main event and averaged 2.3 million viewers for the show.

Edited by Captain Fitzy

Guest Lt Gen Potato Head

The 3/7 match I was really looking forward to despite thinking it was way too soon is off - Dustin Hazelett got injured in training, so Ben Saunders will destroy some guy named Ryan Madigan instead.

Guest Lt Gen Potato Head

So anyone else worried about the lack of buzz for tomorrow? Mainstream media seems to consider it a big deal (thus lots of coverage), and obviously people are into it up here because GSP's turning into a relatively big name, but...there's NO Internet buzz. There hasn't been a single post in here debating who will win the main event.

My prediction, for what it's worth, is a GSP victory. They're both much better fighters than they were last time, but GSP's going to be coming into the cage with a 15-pound advantage (he's expecting to come in around 185, Penn around 170), and he's been far more dominant in his last few fights than Penn. This could be really, really bad for BJ.

Maybe it's television magic, but I think only GSP really knows that this is the biggest statement fight of his life. I see GSP slowly wearing out BJ, breaking him down, eventually finishing him. Two keys to victory for GSP; Don't like let BJ get too comfortable on his feet and make sure he is the one controlling the pace of the fight on both levels, ground and standing... by he, I mean GSP of course. Technically, obviously GSP is going to need to have the quicker hands and crisper combos, while proceeding with caution of course, BJ has got mean, powerful hands of his own to respond with. I'm thinking if GSP he can connect early and make BJ swing for the fences in return, it could start to wear BJ out mentally. Even if he can't take BJ totally out of the fight, he can definitely frustrate him, and if GSP can roll with that momentum, he can take clear control of the fight and wear BJ down physically as well... GSP by whatever he wants in the 4th round.

EDIT: I know that was a pretty square breakdown of a GSP victory, but there aren't many flaws in BJ Penn's game.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

GSP is definitely going to go in as the favorite and should win. He can't give Penn any openings. Just wear him down and finish him in the later rounds. Penn can win if GSP gives him an opening, then he can just have that aforementioned killer instinct go into effect and just beat him down quickly.

I know the main event is going to overshadow everything tonight, but what about Machida - Silva? That could be either a great fight with both men determined to preserve their record...or a borefest with both trying to preserve their record.

Can I get odds on someone screaming "Somebodies 0 must go!!!" during the build-up?

I know the main event is going to overshadow everything tonight, but what about Machida - Silva? That could be either a great fight with both men determined to preserve their record...or a borefest with both trying to preserve their record.

Can I get odds on someone screaming "Somebodies 0 must go!!!" during the build-up?

That's all but a guarantee!

I think the match is going to be very defensive with both guys fighting for a decision.

And the entire card for tonight is awesome, there won't be an event with this solid of a card until UFC 98.

Machida is awesome.

Oh and Penn/GSP is about to start, I think Penn to win and hope so too. Honestly not a fan of GSP. Really talented guy, just dislike him for some reason.

Great, GSP wins. Now I've got to keep hearing how he's the greatest fighter on the planet. Bullshit
Edited by Dirty Johnny 27