MMA News and Discussion Thread

BJ Penn vs. Clay Guida? Guida wouldn't be able to take BJ down. He has good wrestling, but BJ has the best takedown defense at Lightweight by far. He can't win at 170 hardly, but he's the man at 155. I don't even see Guida making it an interesting fight. Anyone watch UFC Fight Night tonight?

Fight Night thoughts

Joe Lauzon had some excellent reverses and submission attempts in there. He looked really good. Just a great display of jiu jitsu in there by him.

The stoppage for Matt Veach over Matt Grice was weird. Veach looked more hurt than Grice before. Shouldn't have ended there, but what can you do? Anyways, both guys came out to have a good fight and it was a hard hitting fight right there.

Cain Velasquez is easily going to be a top contender in the heavyweight division. Everything he does from the clinching and throwing knees, those downward knees to the thighs, leg kicks, punching, it all looks crisp.

Mac Danzig and Josh Neer put on a really good fight.

Anthony Johnson continues to look good in there. Would like to see him in there with Swick, Lytle, Condit, or Davis next. Any of those would be good, I think.

So as someone who only watches MMA from time to time, I've been watching a little bit the last few days and some of it is older-ish matches... And I've seen three fights with Evan Tanner now, all losses to Kendall Grove (his last match), David Loiseau and Rich Franklin... and the announcers hype him up as a real top guy... obviously seeing three loses has made me a bit confused... Was he actually as good as they say at one point?

So as someone who only watches MMA from time to time, I've been watching a little bit the last few days and some of it is older-ish matches... And I've seen three fights with Evan Tanner now, all losses to Kendall Grove (his last match), David Loiseau and Rich Franklin... and the announcers hype him up as a real top guy... obviously seeing three loses has made me a bit confused... Was he actually as good as they say at one point?

Yes. He was the Middleweight Champion, he beat on David Terrel who had just smoked Matt Lindland. Evan Tanner also holds wins over Robbie Lawler, Phil Baroni, Chris Haseman, Elvis Sinosic, Travis Fulton, Ikuhisa Minowa, Justin McCully, Paul Buentello, and Heath Herring.

When Tanner lost to Crow he was on the downside of his career why Loiseau was on an upswing. The Grove fight was his second fight back after a huge layoff. And Franklin beats everyone not named Machida or Silva. (he got screwed in the Henderson Fight, but thats a whole different story.)

Yes. He was the Middleweight Champion, he beat on David Terrel who had just smoked Matt Lindland. Evan Tanner also holds wins over Robbie Lawler, Phil Baroni, Chris Haseman, Elvis Sinosic, Travis Fulton, Ikuhisa Minowa, Justin McCully, Paul Buentello, and Heath Herring.

When Tanner lost to Crow he was on the downside of his career why Loiseau was on an upswing. The Grove fight was his second fight back after a huge layoff. And Franklin beats everyone not named Machida or Silva. (he got screwed in the Henderson Fight, but thats a whole different story.)

Thanks. I just took an interest due to his...somewhat interesting look...y'know, cornrows one time... long bushy hair the next... a beard to rival Kimbo's the next. :P

And because he seemed to have a lot of guts, he was just somewhat unlucky and slipped up a few times.

Edited by RazorsEdge

An interesting main event is lined up for April 11 for Strikeforce. Nick Diaz vs. Frank Shamrock according to fiveouncesofpain.com. Not sure what weight class this'll take place at. I don't see Shamrock competing at welterweight and I don't see Diaz going up to middleweight so a catchweight between those two weight classes seems most likely.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Various tidbits from the new Observer:

-Shamrock/Diaz will be at 179 lbs...shocked to see Nick agree to something that high, although Meltzer mentions that they both walk at around 190.

-The *second* Showtime show will be in May, from Seattle or Tacoma. Phil Baroni will be on the show.

-42 of the 100+ EXC fighters had their contracts bought by Strikeforce.

-They are trying to put together Josh Thomson vs. KJ Noons for the first show. Scott Smith vs. Benji Radach is a definite for the undercard.

-Tentative lineup for UFC 99 (6/13 from Germany) includes Penn/Florian and a Wanderlei match.

-UFC 94 was the biggest-selling PPV (including boxing or wrestling) in Canadian history

-Christian Wellisch, Rich Clementi, and Luigi Fiorvanti have all been cut from the UFC roster.

Cue the speculation wheel!

Is Frank really planning on fighting? I heard he might back out! Wait, now I heard he is going to fight with a scratched cornea. What's that? The fight will be fixed and is planned to end in the 3rd via injury, then they'll rematch sometime in 2013?!?

All joking aside, I'd love to see this fight. In a perverted way, I want Frank to win. I used to love Frank Shamrock, then I realized he is more than little flakey. The word "douchebag" comes to mind.

And fuck you Ontario, dilly-dallying on this MMA shit. I don't know the specifics, I don't care, but when Ireland and Germany and get cards sent their way, it's not sitting well with me.