MMA News and Discussion Thread

UFC 95 Prelim Results as copied straight from Sherdog.

Junior dos Santos was no one-hit wonder.

In his first appearance since he stunned the world-ranked Fabricio Werdum four months ago, dos Santos spoiled the Octagon debut of Stefan Struve with a first-round technical knockout at UFC 95 “Sanchez vs. Stevenson” on Saturday at the O2 Arena in London. The end came 53 seconds into the opening frame in what amounted to little more than a light workout for the Brazilian.

The 25-year-old dos Santos (8-1) wobbled the 6-foot-11 Dutchman with a left hand and then put him down with a right. Referee Dan Miragliotta was quick to intervene, and though Struve (16-3) protested, he was clearly rocked by the blows. The 21-year-old Cage Gladiators heavyweight champion had won five in a row, all by submission, but his momentum grinded to a halt when dos Santos’ fists found their mark.

A training partner of former Pride Fighting Championships heavyweight titleholder Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, dos Santos will carry a three-fight winning streak into his next match.

In other preliminary action, England’s own Terry Etim posted his second win in as many fights, as he stopped Palace Fighting Championship lightweight titleholder Brian Cobb on second-round strikes. The defeat snapped Cobb’s nine-fight winning streak.

Etim (12-2), a one-time Cage Gladiators champion, had the arena in his corner and appeared to capture a competitive first round, as he attacked the former collegiate wrestler with low kicks. Cobb (15-5) scored with takedowns but failed to capitalize, as Etim avoided damage on the ground.

The 23-year-old Englishman roared out of the gate in round two and dropped Cobb with a head kick. Ten seconds into the period, the fight was over, much to the delight of the pro-Etim crowd.

File Photo

Mike Ciesnolevicz had

a quick Octagon debut.

Meanwhile, Evan Dunham staked his claim to UFC soil with an emphatic technical knockout victory against Sweden’s Per Eklund.

Rocked by an early right hand, Dunham recovered, re-established himself standing and landed a devastating left hook that dazed and floored his experienced opponent. Based out of Xtreme Couture Mixed Martial Arts in Las Vegas, the unbeaten Dunham (8-0) buried Eklund with ground strikes, forcing the stoppage 2:13 into the opening frame.

Dunham has finished his past six opponents. None of the wins were more significant than his TKO against Eklund (14-4-1), an accomplished European fighter who cut his teeth inside the Shooto, M-1 and Bodog-Fight circuits.

In a heavyweight duel between two UFC newcomers, International Fight League veteran Mike Ciesnolevicz made a memorable first impression, as he submitted the 6-foot-6, 263-pound Neil Grove with a first-round heel hook.

The 29-year-old Ciesnolevicz (17-3, 1 NC), the latest Miletich Fighting Systems student to reach the UFC, shot for an early takedown, and while his efforts were initially turned away, he managed to get the much bigger man on the ground. Once there, he had Grove’s number.

After Grove (7-2) took top position, Ciesnolevicz went to work on his legs and coaxed the tapout from the Ultimate Challenge UK heavyweight champion 1:03 into round one. He has rattled off four consecutive victories.

Finally, Paul Kelly wrecked Troy Mandaloniz in a lopsided welterweight affair.

Based out of the same Wolfslair Academy that produced middleweight contender Michael Bisping, Kelly (8-1) battered the overmatched Mandaloniz from top position. He opened cuts above both of the Hawaiian’s eyes with punches and elbows, and by the time the fight was over, Mandaloniz (3-2) was a mess. Judges awarded Kelly a unanimous decision by scores of 30-27, 30-27 and 30-28.

The 24-year-old Kelly rebounded nicely from his first professional defeat and reaffirmed his standing as a prospect worth watching in the UFC’s meat grinder of a welterweight division.

No, he was out cold. He got dropped, then didn't defend himself and got rocked as he fell. Thats more than enough to stop the fight. If his opponent wasn't an idiot and immediately shot in on him, it'd have looked alot cleaner, but Kos was definately knocked out.

Do you know anything about protecting a fighter? Ref sees him get rocked, sees him get hit again without defending and jumps in before he can get hit again. Perfectly legit stoppage, protected Koscheck, smart move.

As someone with a martial arts background and MMA experience, I think I know a bit protection, yes.

I'm not one of the guys to spit off at the mouth and start dropping stuff like this usually on a message board, no need to, but I think I know a bit about it.

Seriously, Maxx, I'm not sure what you're deal is with attacking and picking arguments, but save it for someplace more serious than the internet.

As for the fight, I stand by my decision that the fight wasn't over. I have seen worse shots on the way down and the referee let it fight. I am actually going to go and to find a fight I recall with the drop happening nearly the exact same as that and the fight continuing because the referee didn't stop it leading to the fighter who got dropped winning.

Also, before I get accused of being on Koscheck's jock, I'm not much a fan of him, but I am calling the stopped crap. He was clearly responsive and had worked himself into guard position.

Koscheck was done. his eyes rolled to the back of the head, he was out for about a second but thats all it takes, ala Rampage/Liddell II.

Kos lost the fight, it was a horrible looking uppercut but he got caught.

Where the fuck am I attacking you, you spaz? Holy shit I disagreed with you and you're whining like a bitch about it again. Did I insult you in any of those posts? Did I insult your intelligence? No, I disagreed with you and stated my reasons.

But oh god, that's reason for you to whine and cry. Please, point out where I "attacked" you. Just like the hyphen thread, someone disagrees with you or points out something you may have miss and you go mental.

You're worse than a guy who "spit off at the mouth and start dropping stuff like this usually on a message board" Because you do it and tell everyone about how you don't. Grow the fuck up, this is yet another debate you've blown completely out of the water because you can't take someone disagreeing with you. Or maybe its just me, whatever the case is, you're once again making a mountain out of well nothing, because NOTHING fucking happened.

Holy shit I don't care about your alleged martial arts background, or how much more you allegedly know because of it. I've watched plenty of MMA and I know what I saw. Fuck man, I even agreed with you to a certain extent, but I guess you missed it, what with all the verbal attacks I launched.

EDIT:

WHOA Wrath, calm down with all those attacks on Gene.

Edited by Maxx Is Awesome Teammate

Gene he didn't attack you and his argument made a lot more sense then you. Watching the fight it would clearly be reckless to continue it.

I don't care about your personal experience you probably sucked. You made the situation personal instead of about the facts, you sound like a 13 year old kid who got butthurt because someone disagreed with his opinion of the fight over the internet.

Really, I spit off at the mouth and drop stuff like that on a message board? Name ONE time where I have mentioned MMA experience before. Read this entire thread and you won't be able to find it once. Why? Because I haven't said it. THAT is what I was referring to with my "drop stuff like that" comment. Your last paragraph is the exact reason why I never mention stuff like that on an online forum. I even tried to elude to that and you still had to come with that last paragraph.

And yes, you came at me with you snide little "do you know anything about protecting a fighter?" comment like I didn't know what I was talking about. But I guess that is just me, not what you said.

Yeah, cause its nothing like this comment

Seriously, do you even know what 'out cold' really it?

And gee, it came before I said anything. But no, mine certainly wasn't a response to you being a twat, it was just me attacking you.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

And mine was a legitimate question because there's a big difference between being reckless and letting a fight continue, and protecting a fighter by stopping it.

Oh wait, it was a personal attack. Don't get your friend to kick my ass like he did to Chris Brown

Generally, when your eyes roll in the back of your head, you looked super dazed, your motionless, even for a second it gets stopped if it's caught. Thats what referees are told to be aware and protect the fighter. look at Iceman/Rampage II same thing.

And mine was a legitimate question because there's a big difference between being reckless and letting a fight continue, and protecting a fighter by stopping it.

Oh wait, it was a personal attack. Don't get your friend to kick my ass like he did to Chris Brown

That's funny that you mention that in here when it was from a topic in the Lounge. Now that is baiting, after my 'attacks' had stopped, and I'd call you a smarmy cunt for it but Rocksta already used that line on me. If you would like to have the Chris Brown discussion though, since you obviously have an opinion about that, we can do that over MSN.

I agree, there is a fine line between reckless and letting the fight continue, but Koscheck was fully responsive and actually went to stand before positioning himself back into guard. That is the point I was trying to make before. His shoulders were off the mat and he was positioned do defend himself on the ground. There was no hesitation or moment where he laid there or looked confused as to where he was. He instantly opened his eyes and went to continue from the ground/his back.

[EDIT]Yes, budding MMA star, because that is what I called myself. That is exactly what I said. Actually, I lied - what I meant to say is that next month Kris Sprules is booking me to face winner of Sanchez/Stephenson. Oh wait - it isn't what I meant to say because it isn't what I said. Never said I was a fighter, never said I was budding star, just mentioned that I had some background. It's actually training, rolling, and sparring, but pretend I said I'm fighting Mir next Summer.

And it's funny how you're saying that I am attacking you, but you continue to throw in comment after comment - even in response to Wrath, about me. You're replying to other posters with comments directed in my direction, but I am attacking? Read the post, Maxx, I tried to move back to the original topic, but you are dragging it out.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

Yes, I surely wasn't pointing out a time when you spit off at the mouth about your experiences.

Yes, you were trying to make that point before, but first you had to be a self righteous douchebag. Glad that's out of your system and the debate can go forth without a hitch.

And for the love of god Gene, man the fuck up and stop looking like a retard. Everything you accused me of doing, you did and did first. Stop trying to act like you aren't the reason this overflowed again, just like the fucking hyphen debacle. For some reason you take everything I say as a fucking personal attack. Yeah, there's been plenty in the last few points, but at the point where you started acting like a prick, there was nothing and you spazzed out again.

Edited by Maxx Is Awesome Teammate

That's funny that you mention that in here when it was from a topic in the Lounge. Now that is baiting, after my 'attacks' had stopped, and I'd call you a smarmy cunt for it but Rocksta already used that line on me. If you would like to have the Chris Brown discussion though, since you obviously have an opinion about that, we can do that over MSN.

I agree, there is a fine line between reckless and letting the fight continue, but Koscheck was fully responsive and actually went to stand before positioning himself back into guard. That is the point I was trying to make before. His shoulders were off the mat and he was positioned do defend himself on the ground. There was no hesitation or moment where he laid there or looked confused as to where he was. He instantly opened his eyes and went to continue from the ground/his back.

Dude,

I've watched it like ten times already, and that was momentum that initially sent him up. his eyes rolled back, he went out for a second and the ref did the right thing he did what he was taught to do, and thats protect the fallen fighter, it would be unsafe to let Kos fight on, hell i gaurentee he has a concussion right now and a major headache.