MMA News and Discussion Thread

Monson d. Nelson 29-28. VERY close fight, I had it 29-28 for Big Country. Controversial decision as a lot of people thought Nelson won, but I can see it for Monson too. Prolly should have been a 29-29 draw.

Is that being shown anyway? I wanted to see it, Monson mark. :blush:

Sherdog's report on March Badness was hilarious.

Hilarious? I found it tasteless and unprofessional for a site is at the top of MMA coverage. That was just my opinion though.

Also, Bully Beatdown is on MTV which mean it is scripted. It hilariously obvious if you watch it.

You've never read many Sherdog articles by Rossen have you?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Observer notes...

-Mike Brown vs. Urijah Faber will be on Versus on June 7

-Miguel Torres wants to move to 155 and get into UFC

-Rumours now have Couture/Nog off until UFC 102 (8/29), with Penn/Florian headlining 101

-The GSP Gatorade commercial is meant only for Canada

-Tim Sylvia vs. Paul Buentello is being considered for Affliction's potential show going head-to-head with UFC 100, as well as Barnett or Fedor matches (not against each other)

-Miguel Torres wants to move to 155 and get into UFC

Just to clarify he states he wants to do this over time. He plans to move to 145 and possibly fight Faber or the champion in his career. But currently he is focused on finishing off the 135 division.

-Rumours now have Couture/Nog off until UFC 102 (8/29), with Penn/Florian headlining 101

101 had no date only that it was to be in August and in Portland. After Pennslyvania regulated MMA the UFC planned to go to Philly. They confirmed two August PPV's with one remaining in Portland for Randy. BJ Penn vs. Kenny Florian in Philadelphia at 101 (I forget the actual date), and Couture vs. Nogueira at 102 as stated.

Credits: wrestlinginc.com

Last weekend, former WWE superstar Bobby Lashley was victorious in his second professional MMA fight, defeating Jason Guida by unanimous decision at the “March Badness" MMA & boxing Pay-Per-View. Lashley was a guest on the Pro MMA Radio show last night and told host Larry Pepe that his ultimate goal is to be a player in the UFC.

“I’ve had dialogue with (the UFC) over the past few days. They know where my mind frame is. I hold the UFC in high regard and I believe the UFC is a place where you have to be at a certain level before you get there. I want to be a serious contender for a title before I go in there. When I get to the UFC, I want people to say ‘Bobby is good enough to go for the title.’ I would like to be holding a 5-0 or 6-0 record, somewhere around there before going into the UFC. If I can take what I do in practice and put that into a match — then you’ll see a whole different Bobby than what you saw the other day.”

Pretty sure that isnt a reliable source, but it seems like the kind of thing Lash would say.

Yeah, Lashley and his team are definitely looking at him being in the UFC within the next two years. One of his major problems is the moment is that when he isn't training for a match, he isn't training at all as he goes home to be with his family, which is a major reason why his team want him to fight five or six times this year. I finally got around to watching the Lashley/Guida match, it was nothing spectacular but it gave Lashley some much needed ring time and showed that he can be very dominant on the ground. Meltzer floated the idea of Lashley coming into the UFC through a season of The Ultimate Fighter in 18 months or so, which I believe would be a great way to establish Lashley to the audience, as even if he doesn't win he'll definitely stand out from the pack and be remembered.

All i want to see out of Lashley If/When he eventually makes it to the UFC is a showdown with Carwin. I'd say Lesnar or Cain, but both are in another league right now, both are better strikers then Lashley is and both are better wrestlers. If Lashley where to join the UFC right now he'd do good agains, Grove, Wain, McCully, Sanchez ect. But although Lashley is a very talented wrestler and just beat a good wrestler in Jason Guida, neither he nor Guida for that matter can hold a candle to the wrestling ability of Cain Velazquez and Randy Couture, and would be further behind Brock.

If Lashley enters the UFC soon the HW wrestler ranks are like this;

1. Brock Lesnar

2. Randy Couture

3. Cain Velazquez

4. Bobby Lashley

5. Shane Carwin

6. Other Former Wrestlers who have abandoned it (Herring and Mir)

7. Josh Hendricks

8. Justin McCully

9. Everyone else

So while he'd do well against guys with no ground game and limited wrestling or vice versa (Heath Herring, Sanchez, Kongo, McCully) he would get beaten by people like Nog, Mir, Hardonk, Gonzaga, Cain, Couture and Lesnar.

I believe that with more seasoning (which he plans on getting) Lashley is one of the top prospect at HW along with Cain. I think Lashley given who he is training with and how hard he reportably trains that he will pick up submissions and should learn some striking. Lashley is a scary prospect indeed, but although i think he will have a great career, i don't think it will be close to the guy everyone will/is comparing him too.

All i want to see out of Lashley If/When he eventually makes it to the UFC is a showdown with Carwin. I'd say Lesnar or Cain, but both are in another league right now, both are better strikers then Lashley is and both are better wrestlers. If Lashley where to join the UFC right now he'd do good agains, Grove, Wain, McCully, Sanchez ect. But although Lashley is a very talented wrestler and just beat a good wrestler in Jason Guida, neither he nor Guida for that matter can hold a candle to the wrestling ability of Cain Velazquez and Randy Couture, and would be further behind Brock.

If Lashley enters the UFC soon the HW wrestler ranks are like this;

1. Brock Lesnar

2. Randy Couture

3. Cain Velazquez

4. Bobby Lashley

5. Shane Carwin

6. Other Former Wrestlers who have abandoned it (Herring and Mir)

7. Josh Hendricks

8. Justin McCully

9. Everyone else

So while he'd do well against guys with no ground game and limited wrestling or vice versa (Heath Herring, Sanchez, Kongo, McCully) he would get beaten by people like Nog, Mir, Hardonk, Gonzaga, Cain, Couture and Lesnar.

I believe that with more seasoning (which he plans on getting) Lashley is one of the top prospect at HW along with Cain. I think Lashley given who he is training with and how hard he reportably trains that he will pick up submissions and should learn some striking. Lashley is a scary prospect indeed, but although i think he will have a great career, i don't think it will be close to the guy everyone will/is comparing him too.

You are high as a kite.

One of his major problems is the moment is that when he isn't training for a match, he isn't training at all as he goes home to be with his family

Source? I haven't heard about this. Just wondering where you got the information from so I can read it. Very interesting.

ILP, I was with you until you said that Hardonk would be a legitimate threat. He hasn't done anything impressive and would EASILY be taken down by Lashley. Also, saying that Herring and McCully are not good on the ground is blasphemy. You said Mir would beat him yet you have him ranked higher than Mir would be?

I decided you really don't know what you are talking about.

One of his major problems is the moment is that when he isn't training for a match, he isn't training at all as he goes home to be with his family

Source? I haven't heard about this. Just wondering where you got the information from so I can read it. Very interesting.

Meltzer mentioned it on one of the radio shows last weekend, said he trains in Florida but returns home to Colorado (I think that's where he said) between fights.

ILP, I was with you until you said that Hardonk would be a legitimate threat. He hasn't done anything impressive and would EASILY be taken down by Lashley. Also, saying that Herring and McCully are not good on the ground is blasphemy. You said Mir would beat him yet you have him ranked higher than Mir would be?

I decided you really don't know what you are talking about.

I was ranking them on Wrestling ability not overall MMA talent. Lashley is a better wrestler then Mir (who is also pretty decent). And Hardonk is actually pretty good/ok on the ground and might beable to catch Lashley with a sub, hell he caught McCully in a triangle.

And i meant simply that Herring who used to be a fairly good wrestler doesn't really use it much and prefers to strike, yes he's pretty good on the ground i didn't mean he wasn't. And i meant that McCully won't hold a wrestling advantage, and i doubt that he would pull a sub from his back not that he isn't a capable grappler.

And i know what i'm talking about, i wasn't ranking them as fighters, but on wrestling ability. My list was very accurate on how UFC HW's stack up in WRESTLING ability.

If it was meant for talent i'd of had Mir at #1, Lesnar #2, Couture #3, Nogueria would have been listed ect...ect...ect..

EDIT:

In other news Travis Lutter has signed on to fight Dean Lister at MFC 21. The card is stacked really, but this fight should be awesome.

Other Fights on MFC 21

David Heath vs Travis Gailbraith

Aron Lofton vs Mike Nickles

Bryan Baker vs Solomon Hutcherson

Jake Ellenberger vs John Alessio

Marcus Auriello vs TBA

Edited by I Love Pokemon

Meltzer mentioned it on one of the radio shows last weekend, said he trains in Florida but returns home to Colorado (I think that's where he said) between fights.

Just listened to Lashley on Beatdown and this is what he said to add on to that news:

He stated that he is always down in Coconut Creek training at ATT, but it is hard with his family in Colorado. However, there is a new gym close to his house in Colorado where they are looking at the possibility at making it an ATT satellite gym where they will bring in top ATT trainers and fighters which will make it easier for him to train full-time. He is also looking at bringing in Shane Carwin and Nate Marquardt to train with who both live in Colorado (and train at Jackson's... so why don't you just train there Bobby :shifty:).

Edited by ACCBiggz

K-1 starts at 4am EST for those interested. Melvin Manhoef and Jerome LeBanner are on the card. The main event is Remy Bonjasky vs. Alistar Overeem. I love how Japan has over dramatised this fight, the press conference was glorious. Remy is going to defend K-1's honor and a loss could mean "The end of K-1." as stated by the K-1 promotor :lol:. Also Alistar said Remy's acting was excellent and his wife gave him an Oscar. Remy responded by telling Alistar he should lay off the "drugs" because even his clothes don't fit him anymore. This is gonna be good fun.

So a quick question for the UK members. The UFC website and Setanta Sports both say that the 9th Ultimate Fighter series will be premiered on Freeview channel Virgin 1 then repeated later on Setanta. Awesome news to me and those without Setanta Sports, but there's nothing about it on the Virgin 1 site and they still list that Sexcetera as the programming for 11PM on Sunday 5th April. I'm really positive that I'll get to see this season without delay but can someone confirm whether or not Virgin 1 are definitely showing it?

UFC & Setanta say its happening...

http://uk.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventdetail.home&eid=2102

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/other-s...sed/gnid-45953/

Virgin has nothing on it I can see...

http://www.virgin1.co.uk/tv-listings/?d=6&t=4

Edited by ZJ Penn