MMA News and Discussion Thread

Now that is going to be fun to watch. I really like the way Swick fights, but Kampmann is a Dane so I will obviously be rooting for him. Plus, I like him as well, his technic is really crisp. Dont know how either of them will do against St. Pierre or Alves, though. But if Kampmann can pull out all the stops I'll be overjoyed.

It'll be a solid fight. Swick didn't get the Hughes fight he wanted though, I'd imagine Hughes wants to see what Thiago does and possibly get a rematch if he is true to his word. And Swick wanted a contender and Kampmann is the only available one not affliated with AKA.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Good match, but what the hell can they use as a main event? They must be hoping GSP or Alves is ready to go again on a less-than-three-month layover, because the other matches I can come up with are stuff like Diego Sanchez vs. Gray Maynard or Rich Franklin vs...I have no idea, neither of which are a decent main event. Anderson/Forrest, which is second from the top on 101, could easily carry a show by itself. Why does UFC keep shooting themselves in the foot like this?

On another note, saw the first issue of UFC Magazine today. Surprisingly good.

103 Main Event has been rumored to include Rich Franklin in some form. A popular fan bout was vs. Chuck Liddell but I can't see that happening.

In news for UK'rs. Virgin 1 is the front runner for UFC 100, and it was confirmed that UFC 100 will air LIVE.

Not Virgin! :( No theres no way I'll be able to see it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one either - Virgin isn't as widespread as Setanta is it?

Virgin is free, so stop moaning :w00t:

That's awesome news and means I'll be able to watch it the easy way, rather than the usual hard way. Setanta was a pure rip off anyway, so thank god for all of that. I'm surprised they're showing this free other here though, but I'm not complaining. I'm guessing they'll end up moving it back to paying within time though.

The UFC has banned more sponsers, which I'm fine with as they are a business. However, this 100,000 fee that is to be paid to the UFC in order to sponsor a fighter is utter bs.

Banned:

Dethrone

One More Round

Rolling Stone

Full Tilt Poker

Ultimate Bet

Party Poker

So what's left, just condom depot?

Also who will sponsor Stitch and the rest of the cut men now?!

And Nick Diaz vs. Joe Riggs might rematch at August 15 for Strikeforce...not really liking this fight since it seems like a step back for Diaz. I'd much rather see Diaz vs. Lawler II.

Edited by Fitzy

Virgin 1 would be freakin' phenomenal news, especially after I missed their showing of TUF 9 Finale due to a drunken girlfriend. When does it fall? 20th July or something similar?

Diaz is the one free agent at the minute I would love to see in the UFC again. Just an awesome fighter all-round, I don't think there is too many fights outside of the UFC that makes him look better than he does already.

July 11. And Nick Diaz has a contract with Strikeforce. But yeah, he really needs to be in the UFC. Though at what division? I don't know. He looked really good against Shamrock and Smith at 185, and if this fight with Riggs happens it will be at 170 ...

Edited by Fitzy

Rolling Stone write a bad article or something?

They have their own clothing line, they sponsored Kongo at 99.

So what's left, just condom depot?

Clothing sponsors that are approved for UFC 100 include Cage Fighter, MMA Authentic, Familia Gladitoria and MMA Elite. [/fiveounces]

20th July or something similar?

UFC 100 is on the 11th.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Why would you ban sponsors? Not paying you enough? It's silly, they support your athletes, people come to watch your athletes perform. I could understand if, say, PRIDE wanted to sponsor someone, or put a big picture of Cro Cop on someone's trunks or something stupid like that, but, yeah, banning a handful of poker sites and Rolling fucking Stone seems pretty random.

They banned Full Tilt a couple events ago because they signed an exclusive deal with another poker site. But banning Rolling Stone, One More Round make no sense. The banning of Affliction way back when I understood - they went off to create their own promotion, but I don't think either of the others are. The only possible reason I can see is they refused to pay this obscene 100k unofficial license right to the UFC.

I understand their point about it being their telecast, but they are sponsoring the fighters and helping them make well over their contract, and now you are drastically reducing this. If there is ANYTHING that can hurt the UFC and drive fighters out... this is it.

Shane Carwin vs. Cain Velasquez is looking like it will be on UFC 104. I am really looking forward to this.

UFC 107 looks to be headlined by Jackson vs. Evans and takes place in Memphis. Apparently the "big event" that usually happens in December will now take place on January 2 instead for UFC 108.

Edited by Fitzy