MMA News and Discussion Thread

Rampage isn't fighting in December? In Memphis, his hometown?

Wow. I'm kinda upset. I know Sanchez/Penn is more than enough as far as a replacement bout, but I was hoping to see Rampage/Evans. The crowd would have been electric.

I like it better out of someone's hometown. It doesn't help the fighters at all, and more often than not hurts one or both going into the fight. And I think it helps the UFC out with a big problem they were going to run into very soon - not having a legit main event for their "New Years" show on January 2nd. This allows them to put on a nice show there, and do UFC Primetime around this fight which they had planned on doing.

Also, I think in the coming weeks they'll change Mir/Kongo into Mir/Nog II for the co-main event as seemingly both want the fight and want it in December. Which opens up Kongo to put over another young ground talent, or test Duffee since he wanted fast-tracked.

In other news, Nate Marquardt is headed to Toronto for a small part in a film.

Them breaking it down like that with animated gifs is pretty awesome for someone who didn't see the fight, and it's a good point about the crowds; I used to hate when a great fight was going on in a ground based chess match, and everyone would boo because, to them, it didn't look like anyone was doing anything.

Kimbo didn't get as big of a reaction as I expected when he walked through that door.

I think w/ Shaub just outright saying "I f'n hate that dude" and so forth --- sets up a lot of tension. And I'll say this, I laughed, but his reaction is premature - sure MMA fans/fighters generally disliked how he was brought it, but that wasn't his fault. He trained MMA and just didn't go out there and throw haymakers. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. However, from previous interviews I thought Kimbo was on Rashad's team, maybe he takes him before Rampage to play some mind games.

Marcus Jones is HUGE.

Likes to stand, decent BJJ, but weak chin. Could cause problems for him early in the show.

Mousasi is off the Super Hulk tournament due to some kind of injury.

*Ahem* "Injury".

He injured himself in that "exhibition grappling match" against Fedor supposedly. Call me a skeptic, but, Mousasi joined this tournament way back when. I think after he won the Strikeforce title he didn't want to compete in that total farce and risk real injury and instead chose to pull out on the notion that he hurt his shoulder in that pathetic grappling match against Fedor. Overall, probably a smart move, but I don't believe his excuse for a second.

106 continues to get better. Marcus Davis will face Ben Saunders.

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin (for UFC heavyweight title)*

* Mark Coleman vs. Tito Ortiz*

* Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida*

* Ricardo Almeida vs. Jon Fitch*

* Dustin Hazelett vs. Karo Parisyan*

* Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders*

* Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah*

Also, Jon Jones will take on Matt Hamill at the Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale.

106 continues to get better. Marcus Davis will face Ben Saunders.

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin (for UFC heavyweight title)*

* Mark Coleman vs. Tito Ortiz*

* Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida*

* Ricardo Almeida vs. Jon Fitch*

* Dustin Hazelett vs. Karo Parisyan*

* Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders*

* Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah*

Also, Jon Jones will take on Matt Hamill at the Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale.

107 is also shaping up as a really awesome card. Think I'll be splashing out on both of them.