The Champions League Final Thread

Liverpool deserved it on the night, AC Milan have probably deserved it over the year. 3/4 semi finalists yet still no British winner, boo-urns to that. 3 minutes was scandalous though, 30 seconds per sub, there were 5 subs (maybe 4, not sure whether Kewell came on at half-time or early in the second half) and 2 goals, that's 3 and a half minutes, then he was pulling the ball back everytime an attacker touched a defender plus all the time Inzaghi wasted. Also, to play less than the "minimum of 3 added minutes" is something I always hate and don't understand.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gutted, but proud of how we played. I'd say we deserved it, but you can't win matches without finishing properly.

Lady luck was Milan's side.

As Stevie said, we'll be back, we're the best English team in Europe at the moment. And tonight certainly wasn't the end for us.

Maldini has won as many European Cups as Liverpool. That's one sick achievement.

Was it a decent match? I caught the last 30 seconds on TV as I came through the door and listened to the last 5 minutes on my way back from basketball.

I was praying for a second Liverpool goal so I had some football to watch when I got in.

I heard that the first goal was a bit of a fluke, is that right?

Maldini has won as many European Cups as Liverpool. That's one sick achievement.

Was it a decent match? I caught the last 30 seconds on TV as I came through the door and listened to the last 5 minutes on my way back from basketball.

I was praying for a second Liverpool goal so I had some football to watch when I got in.

I heard that the first goal was a bit of a fluke, is that right?

Yes, very lucky shot. Liverpool had it coming though for not capitalizing on more or less 45 minutes of dominance.

Oh shut up. They paid the price for that. They have been a great side this season, the best in Europe and they got what they deserved.

Don't know whether you mean because they've won the trophy or if you think they've literally been the best team in Europe. If it's the latter though then I'd disagree. They'd have been raped tonight by a Chelsea or Barcelona side. Heck, had Liverpool had a top quality in form striker, I would haven't have been surprised if they'd got two or three by the end of the first half.

If that's true then why didn't Man Utd beat them comfortably? Milan would've run riot over Barca especially and possibly Chelsea to, we made them look average in attack - it's just a pity ours was average as well.

I was saying on tonights performance, not the Man United game.

And as I said, if you'd had a striker who sticks them away regularly, like Chelsea or Barcelona, Liverpool would probably have got many more chances. Milan weren't that impressive tonight, and other than their win against United, I don't think they've been any better than Liverpool in Europe. So I'm saying that they didn't get what they deserved as the better team lost, not just on the night, but in Europe all season.

There's 100% no chance no way Eto'o is going to sign with Liverpool. Villa or Torres perhaps, but no way is Eto'o coming.

I'm not his agent, although I clearly have all the credentials ¬_¬, but he's just not coming. :P

Oh shut up. They paid the price for that. They have been a great side this season, the best in Europe and they got what they deserved.

Don't know whether you mean because they've won the trophy or if you think they've literally been the best team in Europe. If it's the latter though then I'd disagree. They'd have been raped tonight by a Chelsea or Barcelona side. Heck, had Liverpool had a top quality in form striker, I would haven't have been surprised if they'd got two or three by the end of the first half.

I don't know about that, especially Chelsea. One of their main strengths is stifling the oppositions creative sources using a Makelele or an Essien but that's all hypothetical, like pretty much the entire discussion.

Still, back on topic. Congrats to AC, but I'm more interested in what Liverpool do now. Like Benitez said a few days ago, a second final in three years is massive for them and will be influential in the players they can attract to sign. I love me some big name signings I do.

Edited by Mr. Mistoffelees

I don't know about that, especially Chelsea. One of their main strengths is stifling the oppositions creative sources using a Makelele or an Essien but that's all hypothetical, like pretty much the entire discussion.

Well yeah. Take away any teams first choice goalkeeper, first choice centre half pairing (one of which is captain) and you're going to drop points. That's common sense. Not to mention the injury table which has seen various members of the squad on it throughout, particularly Joe Cole.

Edited by Mr. Mistoffelees

Oh please, the injury excuse when defending Chelsea is pathetic. They've spunked enough money on players in the last two years to have good cover in every position, they made their bed by letting Gallas/Huth go without bringing in a replacement.

Well yeah. Take away any teams first choice goalkeeper, first choice centre half pairing (one of which is captain) and you're going to drop points. That's common sense. Not to mention the injury table which has seen various members of the squad on it throughout, particularly Joe Cole.
Edited by Lost Soul

I'm not saying they spent their money wisely, but the reason they dropped points is the loss of those three players pretty much simulatenously. Denying that is denying the truth. Losing one is unlucky, two is hard to take but manageable, but three (especially the goalkeeper) then it doesn't matter who you bring in, it's going to hurt you when they're you're first choice. Especially in one of the best three domestic leagues in the world where anyone can beat anyone on their day, and playing in four competitions right to the wire. I'm not a Chelsea fan, but I still see that's why they've dropped points, just like every pundit and reporter seems to.