May I be the first to say..

I don't think you're really "the first to say"... :shifty:

Well, we'll see. I'm all for McClaren trying anything different from what he's done so far. I did enjoy watching his interview on Football Focus having to say how awesome a player Beckham is etc etc. when asked to justify why he's added him to the team now. Hi-larious.

Edited by stokeriño

meh....it's David Beckham not the second coming of Christ. Once he's playing in the MLS he's probably not going to be playing much if at all for England anyway, mostly due to the traveling.

meh....it's David Beckham not the second coming of Christ. Once he's playing in the MLS he's probably not going to be playing much if at all for England anyway, mostly due to the traveling.

The majority of England's games take place during MLS's offseason. Travelling wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by AD

Because he's called Lampard and until recently he's always been a big England name, and England are a big name team! No one wants to see Barry or Nolan, we want Lampard! No matter how piss poor he plays. >_>

Thing is, Lampard is a very, very good player. He just doesn't do much for England.

He hasn't done that much for Chelsea this year either. Has Lampard ever done well for England? Has he scored? (Note: They're serious questions, I don't recall either)

[insert your typical 16 goals this year response here]

He hasn't done that much for Chelsea this year either. Has Lampard ever done well for England? Has he scored? (Note: They're serious questions, I don't recall either)

It may be a typical response, but he does score a lot of goals for Chelsea and if you don't think that's not doing much for the club then you should re-read the aim of the game.

He hasn't been good for England for a long time though. He gets into space enough to take some of his pop shots but even those aren't coming close. I think it's been proven you should have Gerrard or Lampard and based on their performances at international level, you have to go with Stevie G.

But in fairness, most of those 16 goals would've been scored just as easily by other good players. I'm not denying Lampard isn't good, but this season he hasn't been at his best - nowhere near it. Yes he's still worthy of being in the squad, but the team... not unless he gets back to his best (ala Beckham).

13 times infact. 1 More than Wayne Rooney in just 15 games more, that's not bad for a midfielder.

& 1 more than Gerrard in less games

Edited by Dan

To continue the England theme....

Defensive duo Rio Ferdinand and Michael Dawson have been forced to pull out of the England squad to face Brazil and Estonia because of groin injuries.

Liverpool's Jamie Carragher could come in for Friday's friendly against Brazil at Wembley and the Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia in Tallinn on 6 June.

David Beckham is set to cap his England comeback by starting in both games.

The former captain is set to play after Tottenham's Aaron Lennon withdrew from the squad because of a knee injury.

Ferdinand and Dawson's withdrawal leaves England manager Steve McClaren with a defensive headache.

Gary Neville, Ashley Cole, Jonathan Woodgate and Micah Richards have already been ruled out, meaning McClaren is now without three of his four first-choice defenders.

Cole's back-up at left-back Wayne Bridge is also a major doubt for the Brazil game at the new Wembley Stadium, with Reading's Nicky Shorey standing by for his first full cap.

Carragher and Ledley King will compete for the right to partner skipper John Terry in defence and, if Carragher is chosen, Phil Neville is almost certain to come in at right-back.

Lennon was ruled out after twisting a knee during England B's 3-1 win against Albania last Friday.

This means coach Steve McClaren is ready to start with Real Madrid midfielder Beckham against the Brazilians.

Beckham has not played for England since he came off injured in the World Cup quarter-final defeat at the hands of Portugal last July, after which he announced his resignation as captain.

England will then travel to Estonia for a must-win Euro 2008 qualifier.

Victory in Tallinn is imperative, not only to England's chances of reaching next summer's finals in Austria and Switzerland but also to McClaren's hopes of remaining in a job.

Lennon is one of the players he has tried on the right but McClaren rejected claims he was merely hoping Beckham would save his own skin, insisting that the decision to resurrect his international career was taken after the friendly defeat by Spain at Old Trafford in February.