Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

Pedersen and Bentley aren't really strikers, they've both got poor scoring records for Blackburn. Rigters isn't prolific either, I know he's classed as a striker but whenever I've seen him he's been played in midfield. Roberts? Eh, reminds me of Heskey. He'll have a good game then be awful for the next six or seven. Derbyshire could possibly score quite a few, but again, I'm interested to see how he copes now that he's more of a known quantity. Cruz, like I said in the transfer thread, has struggled to stay fit and has an awful record at Bayern.

I don't know why you've taken issue with me putting Reading ahead of Blackburn. They finished ahead of them last season, and surely me pointing out why I don't think Blackburn will do much better answers your question about Reading? They've kept the majority of their squad together with the exception of Sidwell, although I think Harper's the more important central midfielder for them. Unlike all the others around them they've got a settled squad and no European commitments to distract them.

But in the same way that defenders will be more aware of McCarthy now, surely the same can be said about the two Reading lads Lita (7 goals last year) & Doyle (13 goals last year), who to be fair have nowhere near the quality of McCarthy. If McCarthy is going to struggle, where are Reading's goals coming from?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Pedersen and Bentley aren't really strikers, they've both got poor scoring records for Blackburn. Rigters isn't prolific either, I know he's classed as a striker but whenever I've seen him he's been played in midfield. Roberts? Eh, reminds me of Heskey. He'll have a good game then be awful for the next six or seven. Derbyshire could possibly score quite a few, but again, I'm interested to see how he copes now that he's more of a known quantity. Cruz, like I said in the transfer thread, has struggled to stay fit and has an awful record at Bayern.

I don't know why you've taken issue with me putting Reading ahead of Blackburn. They finished ahead of them last season, and surely me pointing out why I don't think Blackburn will do much better answers your question about Reading? They've kept the majority of their squad together with the exception of Sidwell, although I think Harper's the more important central midfielder for them. Unlike all the others around them they've got a settled squad and no European commitments to distract them.

But in the same way that defenders will be more aware of McCarthy now, surely the same can be said about the two Reading lads Lita (7 goals last year) & Doyle (13 goals last year), who to be fair have nowhere near the quality of McCarthy. If McCarthy is going to struggle, where are Reading's goals coming from?

Reading aren't relying on one person though, they've got Kitson whose back from injury as well as Doyle and Lita.

But Blackburn are hardly relying on one striker are they? McCarthy, Santa Cruz, Roberts & Derbyshire is a stronger line-up than Lita, Doyle & Kitson. Lita hardly set the Premiership alight last year (Pedersen scored more than he did in the league), Doyle is susceptible to the same "2nd season" syndrome as McCarthy surely, and Kitson is not going to give too many defenders nightmares to be fair

Whist on paper it seems like Blackburn rely on McCarty to score (a somewhat fair assumption considering the percentage of goals he scored for us), it is not quite the case. Benni McCarthy is not usually the type of player to score goals out of nothing. I remember alot of Rovers fans getting on his back because alot of his goals were "just" tap-in's. McCarthy wa able to score so many because of the excellent service from Pedersen and Bentley. That is the main reason for his good season, adding to the fact he is good anyway, and why we went for Santa Cruz as in theory he will add an aerial threat to our front line.

Reading aren't relying on one person though, they've got Kitson whose back from injury as well as Doyle and Lita.

Exactly, Derbyshire and Roberts were not regulars, yet they scored 5 and 4 in the league respectively, thats with Derbyshire coming on 14 times as a sub, Roberts 9 and being injured nearly all season. Bentley scored 4 league goals, Pedersen 6, McCarthy 18. So 37 goals between 5 players, 2 of which are midfielders, one of whom was out nearly all season, another who nearly played every match as a sub.

So saying that Reading use three players to score so they won't suffer from second season syndrom is a bit wrong, as they have sold one of their best players, and like you say, have 3 people who can score. Blackburn havn't sold any of our squad and have boosted our scoring options with the signings of Rigters and Cruz, who defenders havn't dealt with before, so using your theory, they should be able to score loads?

However using the Roque has a poor scoring record in a poor league excuse is fair, but wrong. Bayern wern't exactly known for their service into the box, which is the Blackburn game and the way Cruz plays, being a very good arial threat. He also was out for a full season with the injury Owen and Reid had, and last season should be written off because of this, as he hadn't played for a year before.

Reading and Blackburn scored the exact same amount of goals as each other last season (52). Like I said, I don't think Blackburn have added much more to their squad, but the difference is Reading had a much greater spread of players scoring. So, as I've said, Blackburn are relying on one player to score the bulk of their goals. So as far as your 'you said only three players can score' bollocks goes, stop twisting what I'm saying.

It's also worth noting that Blackburn conceded more than Reading (54 to 47), a problem which hasn't been addressed.

However using the Roque has a poor scoring record in a poor league excuse is fair, but wrong.

Reading and Blackburn scored the exact same amount of goals as each other last season (52). Like I said, I don't think Blackburn have added much more to their squad, but the difference is Reading had a much greater spread of players scoring. So, as I've said, Blackburn are relying on one player to score the bulk of their goals. So as far as your 'you said only three players can score' bollocks goes, stop twisting what I'm saying.

It's also worth noting that Blackburn conceded more than Reading (54 to 47), a problem which hasn't been addressed.

However using the Roque has a poor scoring record in a poor league excuse is fair, but wrong.

How can it be fair but wrong? He averaged a goal in every 5 and a bit games at Bayern, which is terrible. And even if you 'write off' last season, it still works out at a goal every four and a half games which isn't much better.

The bolded part: Our captain and defensive rock, Nelsen was out until the end of February with a torn hamstring, Lucas Niell left so no more stupid penalties being given away. We have a complete new defense compared to the one we had in the first half of last season, which is when most of our goal where conceded, so I'd say it was addressed in January tbh

I agree with most that Birmingham, Derby and Wigan will be going down. I also agree that Fulham, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Sunderland and Reading will finish in the bottom half. Unfortunately I think Chelsea will win. Man Utd 2nd, Liverpool 3rd, Arsenal 4th. Tottenham, Everton and Newcastle to finish in some order behind them at 5th-7th, followed by Portsmouth and Blackburn in some order at 8th and 9th. Villa, West Ham and Man City to finish in some order 10th-12th. I know I'm being general but I see so little difference between some of the teams that I think it'd be pointless placing exactly where they'd finish.

• Admin

Reading and Blackburn scored the exact same amount of goals as each other last season (52). Like I said, I don't think Blackburn have added much more to their squad, but the difference is Reading had a much greater spread of players scoring.

Doyle scored 13 of their goals, McCarthy scored 18 of ours. Where do you draw the line at reliance on one striker? 14 goals? 15?

As for the Pedersen / Lita comparison, which one plays up front, and which one plays left wing? I'd rather have a left winger getting 6 in 36 than a forward with 7 in 22.

Whilst you may think that Blackburn haven't added much more to their squad (though I'd argue the signing of Rigters & Cruz alongside the returns of Ooijer, Savage & Reid makes the squad a hell of a lot stronger), look at it the other way - what have Reading added to theirs? Reading have lost arguable their most creative midfielder and not really replaced him at all.

Derbyshire and Roberts were hardly regulars, they made less starts combined than Lita.

And yet between them they scored more than him, and we're the ones who are going to be struggling for goals?

Of course, this is all just conjecture and opinion, but it's always great fun debating about the upcoming season!

Will Tottenham hurry up and break into the Top 4 already. They've came so close and this is their big chance this season with Arsenal in tatters, to finally prove themselves to be the better of the two clubs.

I really hope they do, I like Spurs, but I have a sneaking suspicion they won't manage it for some reason. Still, I hope Berbatov continues his dominance and class, he's awesome to watch.

Will Tottenham hurry up and break into the Top 4 already. They've came so close and this is their big chance this season with Arsenal in tatters, to finally prove themselves to be the better of the two clubs.

I really hope they do, I like Spurs, but I have a sneaking suspicion they won't manage it for some reason. Still, I hope Berbatov continues his dominance and class, he's awesome to watch.

We can't do it until the season's underway ¬_¬

I too have the feeling we won't manage it, Arsenal always seem to get the better of us. You're right, though, if we're going to do it this is the best chance we've had.

But it's been season after season, it just seems there running out of chances before an Everton or somebody manages to step up, take their place as the 5th team trying to break the Top 4. In Tottenham's defence though, they really have bridged the gap between 4th and 5th, because it was fucking huge and long time ago, it's so much tighter now.

As it stands, Tottenham are the only one with the real shot of breaking that Top 4. They have a great manager, good support and a good squad. Of course if they manage it, Arsenal fans will moan that such and such happened "Henry was too indecisive and didn't give us his answer so we didn't have time to build our squad back", or something to that effect.

Guess it's only half the battle if they do make the Top 4 then, because then they have to stay there. Not sure where the likes of Everton, Blackburn, Portsmouth and Reading will finish this year, but I'm guessing Everton and Blackburn will fair the better of the four, with Portsmouth and Reading slipping a little.

My Sunderland? Well I can fit them from about 9th at a push to 20th, it's going to be really really scary because we don't have a clue how we'll fair. A tiny little bit of me thinks we're going to fall flat on our faces, and if we do I think a lot of people will have egg on their faces since a lot of people have backed us to do well. But still, loyal supporters (all teams brag about this I know, but Sunderland were regularly selling out their away ticket allotments last year, attendances were good (admittedly when we began to turn it around)). Not to mention these loyal supporters fill a very large stadium, we have a good manager whose really influence the sides. So we have to be positive and we'll see what kind of season we're in for come August 11th won't we, good test against Tottenham and I'm being positive.

Also who heard about Nugent whinging at Roy Keane? Nugent was saying how he was annoyed because when he was in talks with Sunderland he said he needed more time to think, so Keane withdrew the bid. No offence, because I understand it's a big decision for him, but I can't necessarily blame Keane because he wasn't prepared to sit around on a 'maybe'. Lets hope Chopra comes off well, yeah we paid a lot of money for him, and no success the Championship doesn't necessarily equal success in the Premiership, but we can but wait and see. Besides didn't Pompey pay more for Nugent than Chopra. Nugent's very very good yes, but Chopra scored plenty. Interesting to see how they compare this time next year I guess. Most people will side with Nugent I imagine, and I don't blame them really, but I hope Chopra is a success.

Doyle scored 13 of their goals, McCarthy scored 18 of ours. Where do you draw the line at reliance on one striker? 14 goals? 15?

Depends on what the other players are scoring. There's a bigger gap between Blackburn's top scorer and second highest scorer than Readings, so there's definitely more of a reliance on one player for Blackburn.

As for the Pedersen / Lita comparison, which one plays up front, and which one plays left wing? I'd rather have a left winger getting 6 in 36 than a forward with 7 in 22.

Guest Ringy Gainsbourg

On the topic of Santa Cruz, while he's not prolific, we mustn't overlook that the guy spend pretty much all but his first two seasons at Munich played out of position. He was either shunted on the wing or played in AMC, and even at that, he wasn't played too much. Overlooking his horribly shit season last year, he's got 1/4 goal ratio, which I think is great for someone like that. If Rovers keep him fit, he'll do splendidly.

Oh, predictions :D. I may edit this if someone lands in an awesome transfer though :shifty:

The top 7, imho:

1. Man Utd

2. Chelsea

3. Liverpool

4. Spurs

5. Arsenal

6. Everton

7. Blackburn

I'm not as sure that Man Utd will win the title this season as I was last. In 04/05, they played a midfield consisting of John O'Shea and Ryan Giggs and gave Chelsea a good run for the title. So, I only thought it was natural that in 05/06, with all their players fit they would win the league. Which was funny, because looking back at last August, they were the worst of the top 4 teams on paper. This year, they're definitely going to require a change in formation based on their new arrivals. But, because they're likely to use the 4-6-0 Roma formation, I don't see it being that big a change, and now that their team looks splendid on paper, I'd be surprised if they didn't win.

In the case of Chelsea, I don't see Drogba being as good this year as he was last year, in fact if they switch back to 4-5-1, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sheva overtake him in the starting eleven (if he stays that is). They're gonna go back to playing it safe, and that's when Chelsea are dangerous, but I just don't see them winning. I even expect them to be closer to 3rd than 1st. Liverpool, on the other hand, could easily wind up 2nd if all their players settled quickly.

As for Spurs/Arsenal, they way I look at it is this: I don't see why Tottenham won't score as much this season as last. Even if Berba falters, Keane is more than a match to pick up the pieces. The fact that Spurs now have a defender or two worth a fuck makes them more likely not to concede as much, IMO. This is why I'm predicting for the first time ever (:shifty:) that we'll be 4th.

As for the rest of the teams, well they're just the best of the rest.

Relegation:

16. Birmingham

17. Middlesborough

18. Fulham

19. Wigan

20. Derby

While I think 19-20 are kinda unavoidable, 18 isn't. What made Fulham a surviving team under Chris Coleman was the fact that they took risks. Rather than play for a draw, they went for a win, regardless of the team they played. Sanchez just plays long-ball. The last five games of the season really didn't give me any form of hope for them, in fact, had Liverpool not fielded a shitty team against them then they may not even be here right now. Also, I don't think the players they bought are gonna save them from relegation. I'd gladly put Boro in their place if they sell Yakubu/Downing by the close of the transfer though, I don't really see how they could survive without them.