Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everton were robbed. Gerrard was caught outside the box seemingly, and went down a little easy (though I think it was a foul), and the two penalty shouts for Everton were perfect examples of challenges that would always get a free-kick anywhere else, but somehow didn't get them a penalty.

As for Fulham, if you can't beat Derby at home, who the fuck can you beat?

4-1 nicely does it.

In defence of Reo-Coker, I'm not convinced he should have been sent off. It might have been stupid on his part to put a challenge in like that not long after being booked, but to send him off for it is slightly harsh.

With the second one, it was a foul...Tevez was going to score. Sending off? Most Villa and anti-United fans would probably argue that Villa had a defender running back (which Barry seemed to argue) but it's Rob Styles, and he's never shy to show cards in Villa-United matches.

Good performance - Nice to see the goal difference getting another boost as well.

4-1 nicely does it.

In defence of Reo-Coker, I'm not convinced he should have been sent off. It might have been stupid on his part to put a challenge in like that not long after being booked, but to send him off for it is slightly harsh.

With the second one, it was a foul...Tevez was going to score. Sending off? Most Villa and anti-United fans would probably argue that Villa had a defender running back (which Barry seemed to argue) but it's Rob Styles, and he's never shy to show cards or give penalties in any matches involving United.

Good performance - Nice to see the goal difference getting another boost as well.

So...would you be implying that United shouldn't have had the penalty?

I would be implying that whenever Styles refs a United match they seem to receive a large amount of calls, especially for penalties. You could tell that even he knows this because the last five minutes of the game he gave Villa some ridiculous calls that were never fouls against United so that things would look even.

Yeah...because the last time he reffed a Villa-United game, he didn't send two United players off did he? Oh wait...he did.

I've always thought Styles is a dickhead tbh, and would normally call him anti-United, rather than giving us decisions.

• Admin

I work with a guy who came through the referee ranks with Styles, and he's always maintained that Styles will not give a decision unless he's 100% convinced it's right - apparently his ego is huge.

Never a penalty.

Did you have your eyes closed during the replay?

Nope - They were open.

And what I saw was Gerrard begin his fall outside the area. In my book, that's a Free Kick, not a Penalty. Let me know if they've changed the rules in the last week or so though. :shifty:

Well we knew it all along... Steven Gerrard is a dirty cheater. I wasn't aware Mark Clattenberg was a Liverpool fan beforehand though, learn something new everyday.

Rockbox.... you're blind. Gerrard fell over on purpose. That's called diving.

Edited by Thomas

Villa shoulda had a penalty.

R-C shouldn't have been sent off.

Nor should Carson - Osbourne was covering round.

Hopefully Knight's error allows Davies into the side - Knight has been immense but Davies is brilliant.

Great performance by United though, always knew we'd lose, just a shame how it happened.

Plus Carsons sending off was one of the most clear cut you'll ever see. Hibberts was correct, obviously Nevilles was too, but Everton should clearly have had two pens. Reina or not, odds are thats 2 goals. Usual fun fun fun in the Premiership after international woes.

R-C shouldn't have been sent off.

Which of the yellow cards do you think was unjust?

Exactly, its one of those cases that whilst neither was a horrendous challenge, both were definite yellow card offenses, so he had to go.

Carson, I'm not so sure about. Letter of the law case, maybe.

Never a penalty.

If Everton's penalty was given in those final seconds that doesn't mean Everton would score, especially against Reina. The whistle should of blown for the end of the game thirty seconds before all of this happened anyway.

Apologies for double post.

Considering they should have had two, the likelihood of him saving both was unlikely, and with Everton going back 2-1 in front if the first one was given, then it could have changed a lot.

Edited by Liam Byrne