Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading squad shells out for fans

By David Ornstein

Reading players will subsidise the trip for fans visiting Manchester City on 24 November - partly because of the club's inconsistent start to the season.

The Royals squad, currently 12th in the Premier League, have donated £5,000 to supporters heading to Eastlands.

Reading captain Graeme Murty told BBC Sport: "We know that at the moment we are massively inconsistent.

"It's not easy to justify spending so much money to watch us perform and this is giving something back to the fans."

Steve Coppell's side have endured a difficult beginning to their second season in the top flight and following their 3-1 defeat at Fulham on Saturday are only five points clear of the relegation zone.

"I would be lying if I said that the poor start didn't enter certain people's thinking," said Murty, who is in his 10th season at the Berkshire club.

"It can't be good going to places like Fratton Park and coming out after a 7-4 loss wearing a Reading shirt.

"But more than that there has been a growing realisation among the players of how expensive it is, especially for parents who bring their kids to a game."

Reading froze their season-ticket prices for the 2007-08 campaign yet they have to date seen attendances fall slightly. They now intend to recognise those who follow them around the country.

The first 350 fans who book the journey on the official supporters' trust coaches will pay £5 for their travel instead of the normal £20.

The move comes after a week in which the Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe claimed sky-high wages and ticket prices in top-flight football are alienating fans.

"Ordinary working people who want to see Manchester United face being priced out," said Sutcliffe.

"There is a danger that there will be a move away from the game and we don't want to be in a position where people are alienated."

Murty pointed out that the subsidisation of travel may not become a regular offering but added: "We decided that it would be a nice gesture if we could get behind the fans the way they get behind us and try to alleviate that financial burden.

"The players had the ultimate say-so over whether we did it or not. It's not something we've been ordered to do, it's something that as a group of people we felt was right.

"We feel, not guilty, but that we a have a little bit of responsibility towards that cost. I'm not saying it's getting beyond a joke, the level of cost, but it certainly is almost taking the game away from its roots.

"If that eventuality ever comes to pass then football is going to be the only loser. If you take the game away from the common person in the street then football is going to go downhill from there on."

EU to block Blatter's quota plan

Fifa president Sepp Blatter's hopes of reducing the number of foreign players competing in European leagues appear unlikely to materialise.

The European Commission is considering imposing a quota on clubs to ensure they employ a minimum number of 'home-grown' players.

But provided these players are permitted to work in the European Union, their nationality is irrelevant.

The EC say imposing quotas on EU nationals is "direct discrimination".

Blatter claimed on Tuesday that the EU is to adopt a number of processes to "stop the overwhelming presence of non-national players in club leagues" in its new Reform Treaty.

He added that sport was set to gain the power to police its own members, meaning Fifa would be able to have a say in how many foreign players are allowed at any one club.

But the Commission - the EU's executive branch - rejected Blatter's comments.

A spokesperson confirmed to BBC Sport that in the Treaty, which is set to be signed in December, freedom of movement legislation would not be altered and that no exceptions are to be granted to sports federations.

The only restrictions enforceable on clubs, therefore, are those already in place under current Uefa guidelines, which state that in Uefa club competitions every squad must contain six "locally trained players" or have their list of 25 players reduced accordingly.

Next season each club must name eight players who have been locally trained.

The term locally-trained players is made up of three "association-trained players," who are affiliated to the domestic national association and three "club-trained players," who have been registered with their club for three years between the ages of 15 and 21.

"Quotas on EU national players are direct discrimination," said the EC spokesperson. "Whether you are a goalkeeper or a factory worker - as long as you receive a salary - you are a worker.

"Therefore, you have the right to move and work freely within the European Union and this right must be granted also to football players.

"However, the Commission is in constant dialogue with Fifa, Uefa and other relevant sports organisations and recognises that there is an issue about home grown players.

"The Commission is examining if it could be justified for clubs to hire a certain quota of players whom they have trained from a very young age.

"As this concerns the investment of clubs in players irrespective of their nationality, there would be no direct discrimination."

Source: BBC.co.uk

Well thank god. Common sense prevails. The sooner Sepp Blatter fucks off the better football will be. As Wenger has said, he's trying to protect and improve the national game and doesn't give a shit about the domestic leagues, the part more people care apart.

The England squad is average, and that is not the fault of Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho or anyone like that, it is the fault of players in the mold of Jermaine Pennant; English players who think they deserve to be playing because they are English, and believe their own hype. There was an interview with him on SkySports website a few weeks back where he claims Wenger has something against English players. What a moron. Pennant is not, and never will be better than Freddie Ljungberg or Robert Pires during their peak time at Arsenal, and I'd say Pires is still better. We had players like Stuart Taylor, John Halls, Steve Sidwell, James Harper, Matthew Upson and David Bentley who were let go because, while they are talented, Arsenal have better options. They've all gone on to be regular or semi-regular starters for their club, but still, not better than the current crop at Arsenal. It's not Arsenal's fault, it just seems that foreign players have more of a drive to succeed than our own players.

Theo Walcott for example. Huge money for him, huge hype, goes to the World Cup without playing a Premiership game, yet he seems like the most down-to-earth young player from England for a very long-time. He doesn't talk about how he should be playing, he talks about how he's learning, how he's training hard and he's getting his chance.

Ferguson has stuck his big red nose into this now and says he agrees with Blatter. Sorry Fergie, all your young English players proved they really aren't very good when they lost to a mediocre Coventry side a few months ago, so while he's saying teams like Liverpool and Arsenal would complain the most, I'm sure he'll realise that while Man Utd have more English players in their team now, their future is nowhere near as bright as Arsenal's.

*Deep breath*...rant over

Mmmmm. While Blatter is a fool and that's generally recognised by many football fans, I do think there might be too many foreigners in the English domestic game. However, I don't think that a cap on such players is the way forward.

I also don't have a problem with the foreign players coming over if they improve the standard of the domestic game, which at the top end at Man Utd and Arsenal etc the very large majority will do.

I think a reduction in sub-standard (in that not as good as the existing average league footballer) foreign players can only be acheived by somehow making the price of the equivalent skilled British footballer cheaper to transfer in. How that would happen, I don't know.

As a fan of West Ham who have a predominantly British squad (Faubert, Neill, Solano, Camara, Boa Morte and Spector are the only ones I can immediately think of) I have to honestly say that I do prefer having a mainly British team, with players like Mark Noble being such players than fans can make some connection with (relatively speaking).

Mmmmm. While Blatter is a fool and that's generally recognised by many football fans, I do think there might be too many foreigners in the English domestic game. However, I don't think that a cap on such players is the way forward.

I also don't have a problem with the foreign players coming over if they improve the standard of the domestic game, which at the top end at Man Utd and Arsenal etc the very large majority will do.

I think a reduction in sub-standard (in that not as good as the existing average league footballer) foreign players can only be acheived by somehow making the price of the equivalent skilled British footballer cheaper to transfer in. How that would happen, I don't know.

As a fan of West Ham who have a predominantly British squad (Faubert, Neill, Solano, Camara, Boa Morte and Spector are the only ones I can immediately think of) I have to honestly say that I do prefer having a mainly British team, with players like Mark Noble being such players than fans can make some connection with (relatively speaking).

It's basic economics. Buy and demand - there are so few young English hot prospects compared to overseas as a whole, so clubs know this and set a higher price.

Took our time, but we deserved to win. Aurelio and Arbeloa really make a difference, having two defenders that are capable of passing the ball is invaluable.

Glad to see Torres back, absolutely quality player. Hopefully he'll be back to full fitness for the Newcastle game, along with Agger.