Xbox 360 or PS3?

9 to 5

Now I know console wars can erupt but please try to guide this young(ish) boy. >_>

Which is better? I would like a console that I could play online and have a few good games with. Not one for driving games so ignore that. Price isn't too much an issue (since this is coming out of my betting account eventually). So yeah, sway me either way.

I would like a console that I could play online and have a few good games with.

Xbox 360. Xbox Live is easily the best, most user-friendly online system out there. You can send invites/messages across any and all games, Microsoft handles the servers for online play (not the developers), and it has the biggest library available of the next-gen. If online gaming is your thing, the 360 is definitely the way to.

But the PS3 has online too! And it's free! And...god, wheres Hammy when you need some Sony bias? :shifty:

Actually, to be serious, the 360's BIG negative has been the issues over the whole '3 red lights of death'. But just checking on 360 fanboy and...wow, it seems M$ has made it's standard warranty last for three years now. Don't know how that would effect existing owners but that's a positive step. The internet is already awash with rumours of a second heatsink to keep your 360 cool when you get it repaired so having free repairs too inside a three year period is good news.

This will apply to new and existing customers and we will retroactively pay back the out-of-warranty repair costs paid by customers for console problems indicated by the three flashing red lights.

So yeah, it's not really a situation I or the community should be celebrating but it's a huge improvement from the one year warranty and light years ahead of the ninety days that was in place at launch.

Edited by TheEllisComplex

Instant gratification - 360 but prepare to swap it a few times. If you get away with a console that actually works fine take it as a bonus.

If you want to buy into a console that WILL become phenominal then get the PS3. If you're wanting to watch high-def movies get the PS3. If you want a console that doesn't charge you for the HD player / net access / wireless adaptor then get the PS3. If you've got an HD TV then get a PS3.

If you want a console that has the better selection of games right now you'd be stupid not to get the 360. If you want a console with a wider group of online players playing loads of games then get the 360. If you're a fanboy of either camp you'll be perfectly happy with their prospective console.

Guest muddatrucker

Has the world decided whether its going to go with HD or Blueray DVD yet? surely that could potentially be a massive selling point? but I have no intention of buying anything other than normal DVD's for a long while yet.

Has the world decided whether its going to go with HD or Blueray DVD yet? surely that could potentially be a massive selling point? but I have no intention of buying anything other than normal DVD's for a long while yet.

No... and it fluctuates back and forth quite often. Blu-ray is the favorite right now due to Blockbuster supporting them, but Wal-Mart has recently started favoring HD-DVD and is looking to get $200 HD players in their stores by the holidays, which will definitely change things quite a bit.

But right now, the consumer just doesn't seem interested in either format. It's hardly the jump from VHS to DVD and most people seem to be content with sticking to their regular DVDs. Hence, another reason why I'm very uninterested in a PS3, I have no need for a cheap Blu-ray player, the 360's HD player is optional. Yes, the games run on Blu-ray, which could mean big things in the future for the PS3, but no developer has come close to using all that disc space. The only game that developers have claimed will use it all is MGS4 and I'll believe that when I see it.

The big reason that the new formats aren't catching on is because most people don't have any use for them. HDTVs are becoming more and more common, but the vast majority of people still don't have them. And if you don't have a HDTV, there's pretty much no reason to have a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player.

I say go with Xbox 360, they announced a new 3 year warranty today that covers the 3 red lights, and all other problems are under the 1 year warranty. The Online function costs 50 bucks a year, but it's by far the best way to game and the it has the biggest library out there at the moment, not to mention it costs less. I have both and find that the PS3 spends more time on the shelf than in use. Which is sad, but once you beat RFOM, you really have nothing left to play on the PS3 you haven't played on the 360.

Actually quick question with the PS3

Do you need a HDTV to play it?

Not sure if you NEED one, but why not just play PS2?

I do, it's just i don't want to have to buy a HDTV on top of buying a PS3 (seeing as at some point i will end up buying one, played virtua fighter 5 in Virgin and it was immense)

Bah, I wrote a big post out about this ages ago defending the PS3, but yeah, the 360 is your best bet, for now at least.

EDIT: There you go, 9 to 5 :

/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=54232&view=findpost&p=1164039">http://www.ewbattleground.com/forum/index....t&p=1164039

Edited by Kaney

Of course you don't. Things just look a whole lot better on HDTV. The only problem you might have is that Blu-Ray DVDs don't work on PAL TVs that can only go up to 50Hz, as they required a minimum of 60. Otherwise they just play in black and white. But the games work perfectly fine on any standard-def, CRT television.

The 360 for definite. All the games I'd know you'd like to play when they come out with the (temporary?) exception of Metal Gear Solid 4 are on the 360; Most of the decent and highly anticipated FPS games, single and multi-player are on it (Huxley, Halo 3, BioShock to name a few); Resident Evil 5 will be on it, as will Grand Theft Auto IV with exclusive downloadable content that ought to add a lot to the game; some upcoming ones that I know for a fact will interest you are Pro Evolution Soccer 7 (hopefully Konami will actually let you edit the players and fake team names this time, not that I have the 360 version of Pro Evo 6), WWE: SmackDown! vs RAW 2008, Virtua Fighter 5, Half-Life 2: Orange Box, Army Of Two and Assassin's Creed. As for ones that are already out now, there's Halo 1/2, Dead Rising, Gears Of War, Command & Conquer 3, Brian Lara International Cricket 2007, Crackdown, Tony Hawk's Project 8 and last but not least, Sid Meier's Pirates!

As of now there is no reason at all to recommend the PS3 over the 360, except that it's wireless out of the box, whereas the 360 comes with an ethernet cable but I think you can use pretty much any wireless router with it; also a 12-month Gold subscription is around £40, but you can download demos of 360 and arcade games without paying anything. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though. Gamestation offers some pretty good deals on the 360 from what I can remember. The PS3 is obviously bound to come down in price sometime, but most of the games coming up for that will be on the 360 anyway; I don't think HD comes into the equation just yet -- 360 games look perfectly good on normal TVs. :)

Edited by Spee

Get a 360. The games, the online interface and all that already had me fully supporting and loving my 360. Then my friend got a PS3 and it short circuited the second floor of his house. 3 times with 2 different PS3s. So even if I wanted a PS3, I'm not entirely sure I could run one at the same time as all the other stuff that my house is running.

But then again, some people have better, more powerful wiring jobs.

360 all the way. Plus you could easily get a 360 Elite for the price of a PS3