Harold and Kumar go to White Castle

Hellfire

has anyone heard about this movie? I saw some previews of it and it looks funny to me. Is anyone lookng forward to seeing this? Here's a preview i found at rotten tomatoes:

HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE

You're going to think I'm insane, or kidding, but honest-to-God this is one of the year's best films; possibly the best movie comedy about an all-nighter ever made (sorry Bob!). It's from Danny Leiner, the director of DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR?, and plays like an R-rated second draft of that film, which, I remind readers, went from concept to finished product in under 7 months.

Harold (John Cho, of the second and third AMERICAN PIE movies) and Kumar (Kal Penn, MALIBU'S MOST WANTED) are indeed stoners looking to feed their drug-induced hunger pangs, but they're no dummies. Harold is a lower-tier employee in some kind of fancy office job, and Kumar is the son of a doctor who deliberately screws up med-school interviews to piss off dad. As the movie begins, Harold's obnoxious bosses conspire to make him do all their work for the next day's meeting, but Kumar calls and insists the two of them get stoned first. They do, and see a commercial for White Castle. Now all they have to do is get there.

Not as easy as it looks. En route, they will run into an escaped cheetah, a boil-encrusted redneck who wants the two stoners to fuck his beautiful wife, Neil Patrick Harris (amusingly playing himself, as a dangerously horny junkie), an escaped cheetah (did I say that already? Dude, man, I forgot) more than one instance of gay panic (the funniest courtesy of VAN WILDER himself, Ryan Reynolds), goofy racist police, and much, much more. I never really dug the movie AFTER HOURS as much as other critics did, but I got why it was supposed to be appealing. This movie does it right, for me at least. Reminds me ever-so-slightly of how much I enjoyed ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING as a kid (haven't revisited that one lately to see if it holds up or not).

It's also a bit like BRINGING UP BABY, only with two guys in both lead roles. I wouldn't say there's gay tension between them (nothing so blatant as Ashton and Seann making out in DUDE), but they do bicker like a married couple. And Harold's love interest (Paula Garces) is very peripheral, more an object than a person. Kumar's true love is weed -- there's a very funny sequence that takes this notion literally and to the extreme.

Oh yeah, there are hooters. And profanity. And drugs. And really weird trippy shit that hits you from out of nowhere. This is an R movie for sure, not a phony one like SOUL PLANE where the rating's only R because people say "fuck" a lot.

Many of the jokes are obvious, but a lot are not at all so. Watch for the scene in which Kumar decides to urinate on a bush, and then must fight for his urination turf with a crazed stranger who favors that same bush. It doesn't play out quite like you'd think.

According to imdb, this is the first movie credit for the screenwriting team of Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg. Someone else hire these mofos now.

and for good measure....heres the poster.

862220.jpg

Edited by Hellfire065

i saw the preview at the movies. it seemed pretty funny, but not in like a normal funny way, just in a dumbass movie funny. i'll probably check it out.

Saw the preview during Fahrenheit 9/11 [an odd place for it to be, surely].

Looks fucking hilarious, in an incredibly retarded way.

I'll check it out if it's playing at the cheap theatres; looks like a good way to kill ac ouple of hours and laugh my ass off.

Then again, Dude, Where's My Car? sucked dick, so, I'm on the fence.

Is it me, or do buddy comedies always revolve around the same thing - stoners?

The only one that comes to mind that didn't revolve around stoners is the Wayne's World movies.

I saw the preview before Dodgeball and I thought it looked funny. They didn't even say the actors' names. They were just like "Starring the Asain dude from American Pie and the Indian due from Van Wilder." Oh and Dude Wheres my Car owned.

Guest Mr McFarlane

Whatever happened to the DWMC sequel that they were planning?

Apparently they forgot where they had put it and asked themselves, "Dude, Where's my Sequel?"

I think the movie looks really funny, and the good word of mouth from screenings that I've heard makes me want to see it even more.

Too bad I'm stuck in a place with one movie theater that shows one film a week until late August...:(

(Pay)Advanced screenings for the movie are being held a week from Saturday. I hope to find a theater within 100 miles that is showing it then.

The trailer can be seen here, for those who have missed it so far. I'm definitely looking forward to checking the film out, since Cho and Penn contributed greatly to the small roles they had in their respective films. It's great to see the supporting actors get a chance to shine.

Guest bruins72

Ummm... why do they say John Cho was just in the second and third American Pie movies? He was in the first one too. That's were the who gag came from. It was him and another stoner buddy that were worshipping the picture of Stifler's mom.

its national i think. Theres no white castles in MA, at least i dont think so, and they are showin the movie here.

Ummm... why do they say John Cho was just in the second and third American Pie movies? He was in the first one too. That's were the who gag came from. It was him and another stoner buddy that were worshipping the picture of Stifler's mom.

I don't think the phrase really caught on until they rementioned it in 2. Plus, there were a lot of things in AP1 that got attention (pie scene, Shannon Elizabeth's nude scene,...ummm, the scene where Finch had to use a school bathroom, etc.) so they might've forgot MILF first being mentioned in 1.

I'm gonna check this film out, I loved John Cho in the American Pie films and in that TV series with Finch from American Pie and the guy who used to be in Eastenders and Grange Hill, I forgot what it was(is) called. And Anthony Anderson is in it as well and I've loved that guy since his days in Hang Time.