Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to find that much like FF8, the people that see FF12 as the "best" of the series were introduced to the games with it.

Hey! THat's me! Although, for me, it's a tie for 8 and 9. And I have a special place in my heart for 5 and 6. 12, to me, just wasn't fun. I auto-leveled in that game just so I could get through it and then say, "Hey, I beat it."

I'm not a fan of XII - I spent a fair bit of time playing it, and I can't remember any of the character names, and barely any of the plot. So that says something. It's also the only Final Fantasy game I never bothered finishing.

That said, the battle system is awesome. It's the only game in the series where I had more fun grinding and battling than I did following the storyline - nothing like equipping all of your party with polearms and getting them to surround and attack a tiny rabbit thing at once.

• Like 1

I have fond memories of XII, I should get around to re-playing it someday. The only thing I remember about the story is that it was more than a little bit Star Wars - which, while you could pick worse things to rip off, makes for a story that doesn't really break any new ground. I did enjoy the battle system, and while most of the other characters weren't too memorable, Balthier (Han Solo) stands out as one of my favorite FF characters. Also I thought the Judges looked cool with their badass armor.

Did anyone ever beat that final optional boss in XII? It was a gigantic dragon that had something like 200x more HP than the final boss. Never saw the point, personally. I gave it a shot but after hours of battling, I had barely put a dent in his health bar(s). Plus I think you got the most powerful sword in the game after beating him, but then you'd be left with nothing meaningful to kill with it.

I gave up playing XII when I managed to lock myself out of the game, mostly by running through the security sensors on the Airship (I forget the name) enough times to have an entire army spawn against me, and then coupled that with being seriously underlevelled, enough that I can't leave the room without dying or taking enough damage that the boss battle back at the beginning is a cakewalk for him.

I could probably get out of it by taking the guards one-by-one, and fleeing back into the healing room, but that would just be tedious. And I was on a pretty short string with the game anyway.

I never saw the point in hiding what number you need for a trophy/achievement. People will just look it up anyway... all you're really doing is making it ever so slightly more annoying to find out what you have to do. I never even really saw the point in hidden ones like that either, especially in XIII where you couldn't really figure out anything from the description anyway.

I'm intrigued in FFXIII-2 and will certainly be picking it up at some point, probably not directly on release but certainly within its first few months of being out. I've kind of soured on the series, and frankly Japanese RPGs as a whole over the last few years, but the time travel deal leaves me excited. Worst case scenario is it's a fun game to play through once, best case scenario is I go back to the obsessive nature of earlier FF games where I had to complete everything.

I have fond memories of XII, I should get around to re-playing it someday. The only thing I remember about the story is that it was more than a little bit Star Wars - which, while you could pick worse things to rip off, makes for a story that doesn't really break any new ground. I did enjoy the battle system, and while most of the other characters weren't too memorable, Balthier (Han Solo) stands out as one of my favorite FF characters. Also I thought the Judges looked cool with their badass armor.

Did anyone ever beat that final optional boss in XII? It was a gigantic dragon that had something like 200x more HP than the final boss. Never saw the point, personally. I gave it a shot but after hours of battling, I had barely put a dent in his health bar(s). Plus I think you got the most powerful sword in the game after beating him, but then you'd be left with nothing meaningful to kill with it.

I did the week XIII came out. My PS3 died two days beforehand and I'd taken the week off work. Figured I had nothing better to do.

Also, to get that sword, you have to beat another optional boss (way harder, less HP but way harder) and a lengthy but fairly easy sidequest.

According to Square Enix's twitter, Famitsu gave FFXIII-2 a perfect 40/40.

"Final Fantasy XIII-2 has received perfect 40/40 scores from Famitsu. Ranbu Yoshida said, "It feels like a very different game from its predecessor; the story changes depending on where you choose to go in your time-traveling journey, and it's easy to lose yourself in changing and redoing areas you've previously finished." While assistant editor Norihiro Fujiwara wrote, "The setting and presentation is fantastic, and the issues people brought up with the first game -- its linearity, its lack of meaty gameplay -- are a thing of the past. You're sucked into the game right from the beginning, and the story's very easy to get into.""

Dammit, my hopes are raising slightly...