Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

Just finished Final Fantasy X having never got past the fight on the mountain with Seymour when it first came out. Crazy, emotional ending! 

Overall a masterpiece really and actually showed that Final Fantasy doesn't need to be open world if the story is done correctly. I suspect FF XIII tried to go the same route but just didn't create a compelling enough story/world/battle system to pull it off. 

Edited by Sam

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FFX did a much better job at hiding how linear it is and also got more open than FFXIII did. I think it was paced a lot better too and the environments in it allowed for a lot more exploration. There was always one entrance and exit to each zone, but the path to each one had enough variations to keep you entertained. The Temples and having an end point made it feel like you were progressing constantly too. I think the nature of the story FFX was telling helped with that a lot, compared to FFXIII's split up, on the run, mess of a plot.

I actually finally finished FFXIII a few years ago after giving up on the first try, it's not that bad if you know what to expect and find some ways to entertain yourself through the less interesting zones. I quite like the grind of a Final Fantasy, so I spent a solid 2-3 hours watching TV and grinding out crystarium points, got myself nice and overpowered and had a pretty fun time blitzing through the last few chapters. Probably not going to make it more entertaining for most, but for me it made the experience a lot more enjoyable.

• Like 2

You can to an extent, there's an area midway through when you're on the I wanna say 4th level of Crystarium? Where you can max out your crystarium to before the next level of it. It's one of the levels where getting your crystarium leveled up takes ages too, so it's a pretty hefty boost and puts you ahead a ton for the next chapters.

Then after that you can boost your crystarium in an hour or two to max after the last chapter if you farm the right spots, but I never did that much post-game content in XIII. Did a ton in XIII-2 though. Enjoyed that game way more than the first.

The battle controls of FFXV didn't work well for me. Like, the mapping of hitting seemed like it would've felt more natural being the opposite button of what it actually was. Maybe I'm just weird with controls.

I enjoyed the demo but was fairly underwhelmed with how responsive dodge was. If you're already animation locked with an attack (some of which are pretty long animations), you can't break it to dodge. I remember finding the Kingdom Hearts battle system the same way - there's no middle ground, you were either spot on with your timing or you'd just take a ton of hits. I still enjoyed it, just wish it was a bit more responsive.

I played Arkham Asylum again today and something to that effect would be better, the animations for attacks are so quick that you can easily dodge after each and the block interrupts attack animations. Something closer to that would feel better.

How adorable is Carbuncle though?

• Like 1

Finally went back to FF7 after getting distracted by new and shiny games for months... I think I'm going to have to look up a guide or something because Sephiroth's second form seriously kicks the shit out of me. <_<

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Big Hairy Man Face said:

What does R3 do?

R3 maxes out your health and gives infinite Limit Breaks.

L3 puts the game on 3x speed (which is one I do use all the time)

L3 and R3 together turns on No Encounters