Recommend me...

livid

Yeah, so with my new job as a security guard, I have a lot of downtime in that I'm not doing shit but just sitting there. Now, during my last shift, I finally took up the long lost art of reading a book to pass time. I'm starting out with "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, which is basically an introduction of Robert Langdon, the main character in The Da Vinci Code.

But anyways, given the fact that I'll eventually read the entire book, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to what else is out there. Don't need to necessarily stick to things similar to those books, but telling me what genre it is would help. :P

I have to second Musashi. It's one of my absolute favorites.

Both volumes of The Mike Hammer Collection, by Mickey Spillane, are fantastic if you're into hard-boiled detective stories. Written in the '40s/'50s, they hold up really well and have the same kind of feel as the Sin City books.

For a much lighter take on the detective story, you can't go wrong with The Complete Sherlock Holmes. For some reason, you can read it all for free on the internet...but I picked it up for about $13, which is a great price for 56 short stories and four novels.

I'll second Dark Tower, just read the first five because the sixth isn't as good as the last one sucks dick. Especially the end.

If you like fiction from the early 1900s and earlier and don't mind reading online, WikiSource is all you need. My friend and I both love it. It has all the essential horror/gothic classics; Frankenstein, Dracula, The Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, works by Edgar Allen Poe and H.P. Lovecraft.

If you'd like a long novel, I recommend "The Stand" by Stephen King. Best book I ever read.

Well, I finished "Behold The Man" yesterday, and while short, I really enjoyed it. Also like "Cell" by Stephen King, and all three of Mick Foley's autobiographies.

If you're into historical stuff, Adrian Goldsworthy's biography of Julius Caesar is really good. "Down The Highway" is a really good Bob Dylan biography, same with "Shout" for The Beatles. American Psycho's awesome, as are The Godfather and Battle Royale. "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins is also a really interesting read - I don't agree with the guy, but he's bloody good at getting his points across.

A dirty Job by Christopher Moore. It is the first book in years to actually keep me interested until the final page. His writing is amazing, and I am now starting You Suck by the same author. So as you can tell he is an awesome writer.

Charlie Asher is a pretty normal guy with a normal life, married to a bright and pretty woman who actually loves him for his normalcy. They're even about to have their first child. Yes, Charlie's doing okay—until people start dropping dead around him, and everywhere he goes a dark presence whispers to him from under the streets. Charlie Asher, it seems, has been recruited for a new position: as Death.

source; amazon.ca

Glen Cook's 'The Black Company' series. It's ten books all up, but you can read the first three and be satisfied (the fourth is a stand alone and then the last five go together). It's dark fantasy, a blend of fantasy and Vietnam stories. By the end, almost everybody is dead and those few who are left you're almost guaranteed to love. The Myth (by Bungie) games were based loosely on the series.

Neil Gaiman. Fantasy, with a lot of humour.

Definitively. I recommend "Stardust" and "American Gods" personally.

In the same vein, Terry Pratchett. If you want to start somewhere, here are some of the key books that shape his entire cast of characters more or less.

"The Color Of Magic"

"The Light Fantastic"

"Guards, Guards!"

Also, if you're into sci-fi then read Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War". One of the best sci-fi books I have ever read, right next to Robert A. Heinlein's best works.

Neil Gaiman. Fantasy, with a lot of humour.

Definitively. I recommend "Stardust" and "American Gods" personally.

In the same vein, Terry Pratchett. If you want to start somewhere, here are some of the key books that shape his entire cast of characters more or less.

"The Color Of Magic"

"The Light Fantastic"

"Guards, Guards!"

Also, if you're into sci-fi then read Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War". One of the best sci-fi books I have ever read, right next to Robert A. Heinlein's best works.

And if you want to investigate both Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet at once, read Good Omens, written by both Gaimen and Pratchet. It's a story about an angel and demon working together to prevent armaggeddon, because they like the earth too much, and is really good.

Seconding both the Discworld novels (I'm endeavoring to read them in the order they were released, so I'm up to "Sourcery" right now. "The Color of Magic," "The Light Fantastic," and "Mort" are all wonderful and you should read them posthaste. "Equal Rites" I wasn't as hot on, but if you're a completist it's worth reading since Granny Weatherwax's first appearance is in that one and there's some good stuff here and there).

Also, I'm reading "The Golden Compass" right now and really enjoying it, so. Yeah.

Motley Crue's "The Dirt." Okay, so I might fucking love Motley Crue, but it's the best autobiography I've ever read. Even if you don't like them, it's a great read.

I'll second that, and I don't like them.

Check out the Flashman novels by George McDonald Fraser, awesomeness.