Football Manager 2008

Dan

With the cash in the kitty I decided to continue to build the squad at Millwall. I wasn't going to drastically overhaul the team that finished 6th in the Premiership in their first season.

I've brought three players.

Fabianski was leaving Arsenal for £3.7m and I could hardly say no as I needed a keeper to replace 39 year old David James.

I've also brought in Zapatta and Tevez.

GK - Fabianski

DR - Vanden Borre

DC - Zapatta

DC - Vidal

DL - Shorey

MC - Zokora

AML - Downing

AMR - Barnes

AMC - Lulinha

FC - Sharp

FC - Tevez

Some team I tell you. Played our first 5 games of the season and comfortably won each one. Qualified for the Uefa Cup through the Intertoto.

Reading have also done a Leeds. Serious serious debt. They were docked 9 points last year in the Premiership, though were already relegated. They've released half their squad and have no money whatsoever. Oh dear.

Post your teams.

Edited by Lost Soul

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started up a new game for the first time in ages last night. Clicked 'Randomise' to get myself a team - Carlisle it is. :)

We have precisely two players capable of playing in central midfield - count them, two - and both of them are DMs. So that'll have to be my transfer market priority methinks. I already brought Seth Johnson (formerly of Leeds/Derby) in on a free transfer, and he's one of those players that fans are "excited about" and their confidence shows they think him a good signing despite having done nothing yet. Watch him flop. ¬_¬

OK

Newcastle Start of Season 2011/2012

Last Year : 2nd in Prem, League Cup Winners, FA Cup Semi, Champions League Semi

GK Given / Bounazis

DR Richards / Coloccini

DL Enrique / Atouba

DC Corluka / Faye (needs replacing though - too old and slow now)

DC Taylor / Veloso

DMC Cana

DMC Veloso

MC D'Alessandro / Kroos / Bresciano / Baxter

AMR Gyan / Belluschi / Ninis

AML Matias Fernandez / Martins / Fleck

FC Martins / Doyle / Zarate

Martins scored 44 goals overall last season, Gyan got 26, D'Alessandro got 26 assists and Matias Fernandez is an absolute beast all round.

I've got a regen in my youth team I'm quite looking forward to, he's 198cm tall, 20 heading, 20 finishing, 18 first touch, he got 58 goals in the U18's league last season. This season, he's off to Hartlepool.

It's kinda killing me how slow this game is on my computer, with 07 I could've got through two or three seasons in the last half term, easily, but that was on my Mum's laptop and it's broken and she's been saying she's "getting the money" to have it looked at for months now, just get on with it woman! So I've been forced to play 08 on this computer here, which has a pathetic amount of RAM, and I only managed to get like one season done, and I wanna be in 2010 like you all are quicker :shifty:

Anyway, I'm losing interest in my Birmingham game. Played 4 games in the Championship, winning two, drawing one and losing one, whilst Sunderland, Wigan and somebody else have won all their games. I'm already five points off the pace and if I don't get back into the Premier League straight away, I probably won't stick with the game, because I can't be assed with this.

Might start a game with a team like Everton or Blackburn in the style of my 2005 game with Spurs. Or maybe even Liverpool, though I don't wanna fall into the hole that I did in 07 where I made Liverpool an absolute beast from the start and had nowhere to go afterwards. Still, teams as bad as Birmingham aren't good for my patience :shifty:

Edited by Calculon

I envy everybody who can get to 2012 without any effort. My PC is fast so it's not the game that is slowing me down but I get tired fast after a difficult season. Like my season with Athletico Madrid I won the Primera Division and UEFA Cup and that's kind of hard to top in the second season considering I'm not some big club like Barcelona or Real so I'm not looking forward to another tough season, add to that the fact that you can have 25 players in your first team and I have like 35 players I all want to use....it pisses me off, makes me want to go to England or Holland or something.

I envy everybody who can get to 2012 without any effort. My PC is fast so it's not the game that is slowing me down but I get tired fast after a difficult season. Like my season with Athletico Madrid I won the Primera Division and UEFA Cup and that's kind of hard to top in the second season considering I'm not some big club like Barcelona or Real so I'm not looking forward to another tough season, add to that the fact that you can have 25 players in your first team and I have like 35 players I all want to use....it pisses me off, makes me want to go to England or Holland or something.

I'm in 2010/11 with Nottingham Forest. Got promoted to the Premiership last season via the play-offs and and pre-season I was predicted to finish 20th. Well, can't get any worse than that. My board says I can have £16m(!) to attempt to avoid relegation or £21m(!!!) to avoid relegation. So of course I bit his hand off and took the £21m and this is what my team looks like now.

GK - Scott Flinders (£400k from relegation Palace - 2010)

RB - Justin Hoyte (free after Arsenal released him - 2010)

LB - Julian Bennett (still with me from League One)

CB - Wes Morgan (same as Bennett)

CB - Fitz Hall (£5m from relegated West Brom - 2010)

DM - Jamel Ait Ben Idir (Bosman from Dijon - 2009)

CM - Henri Lansbury (£7.5m from Arsenal - 2010)

CM - Fran Merida (£4.5m from Arsenal - 2008)

LM - Ishmael Miller (£4.8m from Man City - 2010)

RM - Paul Gallagher (£4.3m from Championship Blackburn - 2010)

ST - Nathan Tyson (still there from the beginning, still scoring)

On top of the I've still got James Perch, Kelvin Wilson, Aaron Davies and Kris Commons all involved in rotation who I've since I started the game, still good at Premiership level. Players who can't make my starting eleven include Kelvin Davis, Carlo Cudicini, Tom Soares and Benni McCarthy. I signed him from fellow Championship side Blackburn the season before, but with me switching to a 4-5-1, he was the striker who was sacrificed. It sort of rotated between him and Tyson last season, but Tyson is firmly established now.

Despite the media tipping to go straight back down, I'm in late November and am sitting 9th after (comfortably) beating Premiership champions Everton 2-0 at the City Ground and beating Man Utd 1-0 at Old Trafford (while also having two/three goals disallowed!). Having said that, I still managed to get dumped out of the Carling Cup in the second round away to League One strugglers Luton. In my fourth year and I still haven't got past the sodding second round!

EDIT: Oh, and I just beating Champions League hopefuls Sunderland (yes...Sunderland) 6-1 at the Stadium of Light.

Edited by Horrible Gelatinous Blob

ok, I have Manuel Fernandes on loan from Valencia and want to sign him permantly and to do so it will cost me 10mil. I offered him a contract previously and he said it would be a step down, so I wanna try win another trophy to see if that will help him join, but I got a question.

I am in February of my 1st year so both transfer windows have passed, so if he does accept the contract it will then happen during the summer transfer window, but what I wanna know is, will it use this season's transfer budget, or next seasons's? :)

ok, I have Manuel Fernandes on loan from Valencia and want to sign him permantly and to do so it will cost me 10mil. I offered him a contract previously and he said it would be a step down, so I wanna try win another trophy to see if that will help him join, but I got a question.

I am in February of my 1st year so both transfer windows have passed, so if he does accept the contract it will then happen during the summer transfer window, but what I wanna know is, will it use this season's transfer budget, or next seasons's? :)

The transfer will go through on the 1st July (Start of Summer Window) and it's from the current season you're playing's budget.

The transfer will go through on the 1st July (Start of Summer Window) and it's from the current season you're playing's budget.

Why the hell do we always arse it up in cup games? Beating Sunderland comfortably at 1-0 (comfortably meaning we're dominating and they haven't looked like scoring) before they score off a corner with a minute to go and then win in extra time. Bloody annoying.

My team (Arsenal 2010/2011):

GK: Sebastian Frey

DR: Emmanuel Eboue

DL: Gareth Bale

DC: Garay (Can't spell his first name)

DC: Pablo

MR: Giovanni Dos Santos

ML: Adriano

MC: Javi Martinez (My favourite signing in any Champ/FM game since I started playing it :blush: )

MC: Carlos Vela

FW: Robin Van Persie

FW: David Villa

Still haven't won anything other than the FA cup, which I've won in every season so far. Got beat in the Champions League Final last season with Man U winning 1-0. Second in the previous two seasons with Chelsea beating me to the league in both. Managed to get 27million for Fabregas after he put in a transfer request, so I used that to bring in Villa. Looking good so far this season, beat Man U 2-1, Liverpool 4-1 and Ipswich 7-0 so far. Currently top but only played seven games.

This game can be so frustrating at times. Especially when you're winning and you KNOW the game is going to be a draw, you just don't know when they'll score.

My Millwall side have drew like 10 Premier League games already and it is only January. 5 points off a Champions League spot, and Aguero and Tevez can't seem to play upfront.

So.. just started a game as Hibs.

Brought in Frazer Campbell and Jonny Evans for Man U on loan, Matt Fryatt from Leicester and then signed Kieran McKenna from Spurs for 75k.

Beat Hearts 2-1 in a solid performance, before turning around and drawing 0-0 with Gretna at home. I was so annoyed. We then got troucned 3-1 away at Dundee Utd. This is shpaing up to be an interesting season as Evans just got injured for two months.

So.. just started a game as Hibs.

Brought in Frazer Campbell and Jonny Evans for Man U on loan, Matt Fryatt from Leicester and then signed Kieran McKenna from Spurs for 75k.

Beat Hearts 2-1 in a solid performance, before turning around and drawing 0-0 with Gretna at home. I was so annoyed. We then got troucned 3-1 away at Dundee Utd. This is shpaing up to be an interesting season as Evans just got injured for two months.

0-0?

SURELY you're not on the 8.0.2 patch...