NHL 08 Vs. NHL 2K8

HeyThereVelvet

How's the catch-up AI? How's the online play doing?

I keep hearing these horrid "I can't get a single game online" and "I go up 4-1 and lose 5-4 in OT, fucking catch-up AI" stories that, if true, would totally ruin the game for me. Other than that it seems like a must-buy (and if anybody knows any deals I can get on the game for 360 let me know :shifty:)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i was playing as Portland and we were up 6-1

by the end of the 2nd it was 7-4

and at the end of the game it was 8-6

I almost shat myself, Maybe i just got cocky while playing in Goalie Mode

• 3 weeks later...

Online shootouts are so much fun on 08. Also, anyone have any ideas on how to upgrade the Avs defence? I'm just about to start a dynasty.

Further, is there actually a roster update? Whenever I play online, it asks me to download the new rosters, but when I check them, they're still massively out of date, i.e. Forsberg at the Predators, Turgeon at the Avs.

Even though I'm not an Ice Hockey fan, I played an NHL 08 Demo and enjoyed it. Have loads to trade in, but NOWHERE around here has it. Wankers. A few have NHL 2K8 though. I'm gonna keep looking for NHL 2008.

Edited by Mushiking timmayy

Dragsy:

Upgrade Skrastins. He completely blows in 08, which saddens me. I dealt some guy to get Ken Klee back, and he's been solid, but also could be upgraded.

On another note, the thing that pisses me off the most about this game is that poke-checking is so hard to time right.

Edited by Plubby

Dragsy:

Upgrade Skrastins. He completely blows in 08, which saddens me. I dealt some guy to get Ken Klee back, and he's been solid, but also could be upgraded.

On another note, the thing that pisses me off the most about this game is that poke-checking is so hard to time right.

So I might be adding an NHL game to my collection, as NBA 2K8 has pissed me off to no end. The Nets shot 100% from the field in a quarter! Mostly 3s!

Anyways, I've been a NHL 2K guy, but everyone seems to agree that NHL 08 is better. I suppose its going to come down to whether or not the game store has one used. But I want to trust EA, mostly cause of you guys, I think they've been turning out alot of quality this year, Madden, Skate etc, so I'm looking forward to another good game.

Although I've only played a demo of 2k8, I have to side with EA. They have comp,letely revamped the game, it's actually possible to cycle the puck now. And it's better looking IMO. It also has online leagues if that interests you, although the stat tracking is restricted to teams rather than individuals, and there are no trades or anything. But even if that wasn't enough, just remember, skill strick > pro stick. And you have to press two buttons on 2k8 to shoot a slapshot, and it has two turbo buttons :/

And you can't go back to the fool proof plays, Last year i rented 07 and went behind the net, swung around and scored, This year i bought 08 and could do it once, Maybe twice but after that they shut me down on that play.

I've found some key plays don't work after one or two tries too, which is what EA said would happen. Of course that's only with my bottom 3 lines. Whenever I have Bell, Sundin and Blake out there I'm able to pull a move that works almost everytime. Pass behind the net on one side then pass it to the third linemate in the slot for a goal. The defense stops it 1/4 of the time, the goalie makes the save 1/4 of the time but I score every other time.

Then if that fails I just have Sundin or Kilger come in on the right side before blasting a slapshot over the goalie's glove hand.