Bad Covers...

Hobo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with most of it was that they did nothing with the songs, they just played them straight, and affecting a Joey Ramone soundalike voice, which rendered the whole thing pointless. The only exception was Marilyn Manson, who did his "LOLz, I play it slow so it's goth" take on KKK Took My Baby Away, which just came across as camp; yeah, there's a deeper meaning to the lyrics, it doesn't mean that they don't just sound mindless and ridiculous, why draw attention to that? Rob Zombie's Blitzkrieg Bop was alright, but nothing special, at least he tried. But, yeah, Waits' Jackie & Judy is the only track worth actually going out of your way to hear.

That said, I've got something of a soft spot for Metallica's "53rd & 3rd" as well, just because it works with the St. Anger-style production a thousand times better than St. Anger ever did, and it's not too bad, but not worth going out of your way for. They also did an interesting take on "Today Your Love, Tomorrow Your World" on the B-Side to the St. Anger single, which is better than most stuff on the tribute album but, again, nothing spectacular.