GI JOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEE

MalaCloudy Black

In a follow-up to their confirmation that Stephen Sommers will direct G.I. Joe, Variety offers this new description of the team: "G.I. Joe is now a Brussels-based outfit that stands for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, an international co-ed force of operatives who use hi-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil organization headed by a double-crossing Scottish arms dealer. The property is closer in tone to X-Men and James Bond than a war film."

So why the changes? Hasbro and Paramount execs recently spoke about the challenges of marketing a film about the U.S. military at a time when the current U.S. administration and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are at a low-point in global polls. When a studio makes a film as expensive as G.I. Joe will likely be, they want to know that as many people as possible around the world will want to see it. In other words, G.I. Joe -- "A Real American Hero" -- is a tough sell.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/815/815454p1.html

I am sorely disappointed and will now cry myself to sleep to the sound of the old GI Joe cartoon. No but really, this sucks.

Edited by Cloud Streezy

Since I don't wanna create a new topic just to ask a question about the animated series I'll ask here, am I imagining things or was there an arc in one of the animated series (DIC, I believe) where Cobra attempted to make a supersoldier out of the DNA of famed tyrants? I swear there was because I remember a guy I know having it on VHS. It was 3 or 4 parts and at the end the supersoldier guy turned on Cobra and tried to take the organization over.

Since I don't wanna create a new topic just to ask a question about the animated series I'll ask here, am I imagining things or was there an arc in one of the animated series (DIC, I believe) where Cobra attempted to make a supersoldier out of the DNA of famed tyrants? I swear there was because I remember a guy I know having it on VHS. It was 3 or 4 parts and at the end the supersoldier guy turned on Cobra and tried to take the organization over.

I'm pretty sure that's the movie with Burgess Meredith as the voice of some Cobra-La guy or whatever. The dude you're thinking of is Serpentor, and I'm waaaaaay too old to remember this shit.

Nah, I read the plot synopsis and I don't think that's it. :( It doesn't sound like it at least.

Edited by Cloud Streezy

I'm pretty sure that's the movie with Burgess Meredith as the voice of some Cobra-La guy or whatever. The dude you're thinking of is Serpentor, and I'm waaaaaay too old to remember this shit.

And the Cobra-La guy is Golubulus.....just saying.

I'll say this, here's what I think of GI Joe now....

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Huh. Yeah, I guess it is him. It's been eons since I've got to see that arc. I wish I could find a VHS or somethin' of it, was my favourite one.

But anyways, I don't see the big deal. Or how this ruins anything... The team won't be based in the US. Problem? It's not an entirely drastic change and is almost superfluous at best.

Then again I'm not one to bitch about demanding my childhood memories put up on screen exactly as I remember them. Eh well.

Christ, you're a prick. No one's bitching when what they're putting up on screen isn't the premise of the show at the very least. I mean my god, pretty much the entire point of GI Joe is that it's American (A Real American Hero, anyone? That's a pretty drastic change), the soldiers are gimmicked to high hell and Cobra Commander is the enemy.

But anyways, I don't see the big deal. Or how this ruins anything... The team won't be based in the US. Problem? It's not an entirely drastic change and is almost superfluous at best.

Then again I'm not one to bitch about demanding my childhood memories put up on screen exactly as I remember them. Eh well.

SS is one of those guys whose name on a project frightens me. He's made one great movie, one good one, one meh one, and the ultra horrid Van Helsing. Now this news pretty much confirms that this will be an abortion. I'll still see it, but still, not a good idea at all.

The problem is that they're taking the name GI JOE and slapping it on a film that (by the sounds of it) isn't going to be anything like the cartoon.

It would be like taking Alvin and the Chipmunks (sp?) and suddenly deciding to make them from the 'hood

Oh wait...

Edited by Hugobombski

And the Cobra-La guy is Golubulus.....just saying.

I'll say this, here's what I think of GI Joe now....

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

You're thinking of the 3 or 4 bit story called Arise Serpentor (or something similar) where Destro and Professor Mindbender and various other higher ups decided Cobra Commander was a bit wank, and they needed a new one. Mindbender being a genius said 'look! DNA!' and they spent each episode trying to harvest DNA from Attila the Hun, Alexander the Great, and for some reason Dracula. They eventually managed to create their new leader, Serpentor, from this.

GI Joe the movie, starring Mickey from Rocky followed this. And I am waaaaaaaay too old to remember this shit.

Back on topic, for most of its early run over here it was called Action Force: International Heroes anyway, and the likes of Flint and Lady Jane were for some reason supposed to be English despite their American voiceovers. They dropped it eventually through a painful rebrand (and even worse redubbing of the film) as GI Joe: The Action Force, then GI Joe. So considering there were a fair few ninjas and whatnot anyway, an international flavour shouldn't hurt it too much. A terrible script on the other hand...

Yes, but GI Joe's popularity for the past 25 years has been "A Real American Hero". Not to tout USA, but all those guys, Duke, Hawk, Flint, etc, they were bred out of that line, and now we're going to get some team based in Belgium to fight Destroy? Come on, that's bullshit.

"Ooooh, help me Smithers, I'm making the Germans angry! Not the Germans!"

It's going to be a flop, there's going to be a lot of pissed off people aged 20-35, which might I add is the key demographic in a film like this. Transformers didn't get fucked with, why must GI Joe? It'll be worse than the Super Mario Bros. movie (seriously...Luigi is the hero? WTF?), Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter combined.