2007 Rugby World Cup

Slogger

Translation: We only follow sports where we are the best shifty.gif

As flattering as it is to hear you say that the Socceroos are 'the best', no. Rugby Union is struggling across the board from club to interstate to international level here. Has been slowly declining for a while now.

Dammit, I missed the football mention. Assumed it might stand for something else in your WACKY country.....yeah, thats what I thought >_>

The only match I've caught thus far was the Argentina vs France match, and France looked pretty poor. I'm only really interested in the big matches and the England matches, and England vs USA clashed with the football. Will try and catch the England vs South Africa match on Friday.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Translation: We only follow sports where we are the best shifty.gif

As flattering as it is to hear you say that the Socceroos are 'the best', no. Rugby Union is struggling across the board from club to interstate to international level here. Has been slowly declining for a while now.

Dammit, I missed the football mention. Assumed it might stand for something else in your WACKY country.....yeah, thats what I thought >_>

The only match I've caught thus far was the Argentina vs France match, and France looked pretty poor. I'm only really interested in the big matches and the England matches, and England vs USA clashed with the football. Will try and catch the England vs South Africa match on Friday.

You'd better hope England have woken up by them, because if they play like they did against USA, they're likely to get hammered.

^They were hammered. 36-0. They played crap, and the Springboks didn't even look troubled. Andy Farrell has to be one of the most overrated players in a long time. He was terrible. Even for the kickoff. He just kicked it far down the middle of the pitch; the pack couldn't get to it in time, South Africa would catch it then put it up for a Garryowen, England would catch, Farrell would kick and miss touch, then Montegomery would put it half the length of the pitch and get great touch. For the defending world champions that was a terrible representation.

It's really back to the drawing board.

New Zealand vs Portugal result below:

New Zealand def. Portugal 108-13

That's a pretty abysmal scoreline, and I only caught the second half, but Portugal did manage to score against New Zealand, arguably the best international rugby team today. That, and they did have some decent sections of play.

Thus, kudos to Portugal.

Also ouch for England. 36-0 against the Springboks is not good for the defending champions.

Los Lobos probably put up more of a fight than Italy did :P

And actually bothered to answer to the Haka.

And generally looked like they were trying to make a game of it.

Portugal should play more rugby :P Although a prop scoring tries against you is kind of embarrasing.

In other news, Wales went down to Australia 32-20. The scoreline is a lot closer than the match was though. Wales were non-existant in the first half, and Gareth Thomas was a disgrace :P I was laughing out loud when he got owned by the Aussie guy and had to go off injured. Fucking pussy.

But yeah, Wales did a lot better than England. Which isn't saying a lot, but still...

C'mon Ireland!

Edited by Farmer Reil

Fuck sake. 14 - 10 against Georgia. Absolutely pathetic. Georgia played very well in fairness to them and deserved to win but for a team of Ireland's abilities, standards, and expectations - horrible. One of the worst matches in Irish history I'd guess considering our team and our opponents. I can only hope we underestimated Georgia and Namibia and stop being such naive shitheads against France and Argentina.

Interesting fact - Georgia have 300 licensed players and 8 rugby pitches. I have 7 pitches in my school's rugby grounds to put in perspective. And they pulled out a performance like that?

Edited by Dublin

Say what you want about Portugal being hammered and all that, but I, despite not being a rugby follower, am very proud of the team. They're not even pros and they leave their skin out in the field. And scoring against New Freakin' Zealand is awesome for an amateur team.

That said, again, I'm proud of the Portuguese team.

If I was Portuguese, I'd be proud of them too.

They fought a lot harder than most teams would have.

Especially because they were down 52-3 at halftime. They didn't give up at all, and kept on going, and still managed to score a try in the second half. That certainly says something for their team.

And as Reily said earlier, Australia def. Wales 32-20, but I personally think their last try wouldn't've happened if we didn't have Sharpe and Mitchell sinbinned at the same time. Australia took a bit to wake up properly in the second half, which hurt us a bit, and our scrum was pretty ordinary, but Wales' passes were shocking for the most part, and it seemed like for the most part they couldn't quite get it together in their backline.

Australia - particularly Shepherdson - need to work on their scrum though. That was pretty bad.

Well... Samoa were bollocks :P Let's hope they play like that against England. I'm more scared of Tonga now ¬_¬

Canada put up a decent effort but lost 29-16 to Fiji. Not a lot to be said about that to be honest.. pretty much what everyone expected.

Namibia got absolute owned by Chabal. Oh, and the rest of the French team ¬_¬ The French didn't even play particularly well, but still a fuck of a lot better than against Argentina.

With the Irish playing like crap, and the French making tons of errors, should be fun when they meet :P

We were good/unlucky for a bit in the first half. Definitely an improvement. Still too many handling errors, lost line outs and easy penalties. And the second half,..... We have a chance against Argentina if we play like we started tonight, but keep our heads up. This is the best ever chance we've had in the World Cup, but it could be the first time we don't make the quarter finals. <_

We were good/unlucky for a bit in the first half. Definitely an improvement. Still too many handling errors, lost line outs and easy penalties. And the second half,..... We have a chance against Argentina if we play like we started tonight, but keep our heads up. This is the best ever chance we've had in the World Cup, but it could be the first time we don't make the quarter finals. <_<