CAF announce new African football international tournament

Lineker

• Admin

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has announced that a new competition will begin next year, called the African Championship of Nations.

It will be played between national teams, but only players who are based in their home country's domestic league will be eligible.

Stars playing in Europe and even those who have moved to other African leagues will not be allowed to take part.

The tournament will be held every two years.

"We strive to give to the local African players the possibility to showcase their talents and abilities, but also to bring to a higher level the national championships in Africa, and to boost their importance," said CAF president Issa Hayatou

Qualifying matches will take place next year, and eight teams will play at the finals in 2009.

The host country will be chosen from the qualifying nations.

CAF has also annouce that Equatorial Guinea will host the 2008 African Women's Championship.

Sounds like a great idea tbh. Would it work in Europe? Not that we really need it, or have the time for it.

It wouldn't work in Europe, because most of the nations that would be competing for the Euro's have most of their team based in their home nation anyway. So it'd be just like the European Championships with even less chance of smaller nations doing well :P The Italians would have most of their usual squad, the English would have virtually all of theirs, the Spanish and the French would still be able to muster a decent team. It would only serve to punish countries like Wales, Scotland, Ireland and the Eastern European teams, whose better players move to bigger leagues because they virutally have to (can you imagine David Healy playing for Crusaders? Hello Super Noodles and leftover chicken sandwhiches).

Maybe a European Cup Of Former Soviet And Yugoslavian Nations would work :shifty:

For Africa though, it's a fantastic idea. And anyone who says otherwise hasn't thought it through very well :P Any tournament designed to encourage home-grown talent is obviously good. Especially for Africa, where - and correct me if I'm wrong - they only have two (ACoN and the WC).

Edited by Farmer Reil

Well yeah, but the players in Europe have the CL, UEFA Cup, usually two domestic cups, etc etc etc. That was my point.

As far as I know, African club football doesn't have any continental cup competitions. Although I can't profess to be an expert on African club football. :shifty:

My basic point was, African players who stay in Africa don't play as many games, so would be more welcoming of an extra competition. If you tried to suggest to Arsene Wenger that his players should play in an extra competition every two years, he'd probably throw something at you. Or fall over in the process.

Well yeah, but the players in Europe have the CL, UEFA Cup, usually two domestic cups, etc etc etc. That was my point.

As far as I know, African club football doesn't have any continental cup competitions. Although I can't profess to be an expert on African club football. :shifty:

My basic point was, African players who stay in Africa don't play as many games, so would be more welcoming of an extra competition. If you tried to suggest to Arsene Wenger that his players should play in an extra competition every two years, he'd probably throw something at you. Or fall over in the process.

I'm pretty sure they have some African cups played between domestic clubs, but yeah, I can't profess to being an expert either.

Wiki says -

# CAF Champions League

# CAF Confederation Cup

# CAF Super Cup

Are all inter-Africa based club competitions. Plus I assume most have domestic competitions of some sort.

Edited by Liam Byrne

Africa has plenty of competitions. Their Champions League, Confederations Cup (like our UEFA Cup) and their Super Cup.

Africa also has a lot of international competitions compared to other continental football federations, between the regions of Africa (COSAFA, CEMAC, CECAFA and Amilcar Cabral Cups), as well as the African Nations Cup and World Cup Qualifiers.

As far as a home-based European Cup, Germany would have a very solid team as well. As would Turkey, Russia and Ukraine. Their lack of EU status makes their players unattractive to EU-friendly leagues, since they'd need a work permit or something.