From the October issue of Game Informer:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/hscribner/pics5.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/hscribner/pics7.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/hscribner/pics1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/hscribner/pics2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/hscribner/pics10.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/hscribner/pics4.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/hscribner/pics8.jpg

Spike TV's TNA Wrestling league is really starting to take off, so we're not surprised that it's getting its own game. The league's most distinguishing feature is its six-sided ring which helps speed up the action. "More ropes and turnbuckles equal more angles in which to irish-whip someone. Also it means the ropes are much tighter so guys can walk on the ropes and do lots of cool spring moves off them. "The six-sided ring gives us a lot of flexiblity to get exciting moves into the game", Midway's LA studio head Scot Lane tells us. "TNA is much more acrobatic than any league I have seen. These guys are true atheletes."

The team at Midway has been fortunate enough to get direct input from actual TNA stars. "We have met with a lot of wrestlers, but Samoa Joe and AJ Styles have been in on most meetings," says Lane. "These guys are gamers so they really understand games and they know what the real fanbase wants to see in a game. They have contributed in many areas, the nuances between U.S, Japan, Europe, and the pacing of the game, the moves they think will translate well to video games, controls, and a lot more. They have also been in many mo-cap sessions as have several other TNA wrestlers".

But all this wrestler support won't mean anthing if the game doesn't have great gameplay. Lane knows this, too: "Our primary focus is on gameplay and our goal is to have the smoothest, most responsive in the genre. We are running at 60 fps and the game already feels great. We have two of the best combat guys in the business. Mark Turmell and Sal DiVita. These guys love wrestling".

The crowd and the characters creation system are important to any wrestling game, and TNA doesn't look to dissapoint in either aspect. The team isn't eager to give away too many details about the character creation just yet, other than to say that it will be a big feature when the game is done. As for the other element, Lane adds, "We have put a lot of work into our crowd. Our goal is to create an environment - including crowd - that feels like TNA. We are focusing on making the crowds distinctive when you are in Japan, England or any of the different areas.

Lane is also pretty excited about seeing one of his favourite match types from the show. Ultimate X. Playable in the game. "Basically there are ropes around 15 feet above the ring, with a belt hanging in the middle. The first guy to climb up and get the belt wins, but it is nowhere near as easy as it sounds. I've seen these guys fall and land on their back, it looks real painful". But it sounds fun. Only you'll have to wait until next year to play Ultimate X or any of the game's other match types like King of the Mountain, tag team, and fatal four-way. Better start practising on your brother.

Note to webmasters/reporters: If reproducing news from this website, please include a hyperlink to www.gerweck.net

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About frickin' time! Two years in waiting and only now we get screenshots!?

EDIT: The Jeff Jarrett elbow drop from turnbuckle to standing Sting lol.

It gets on my nerves a little when they call the different companies "leagues".

Edited by TheModernWay

Two years? I only thought they announced it at Bound for Glory last year? Which would put it at like 11 months.

Nope, they announced it not long before Eddie's death. Well, thats when they announced they had a deal with Midway anyway.

Edited by TheModernWay

Yeah, they've been working on this game for a long time. The initial hype pic had Monty Brown, Jeff Hardy and AJ Styles on it.

Pics look good, but Midway developing still makes me very nervous. I need to see gameplay in videos before I can even have any sort of excitement for this game.

Yeah, they've been working on this game for a long time. The initial hype pic had Monty Brown, Jeff Hardy and AJ Styles on it.

Pics look good, but Midway developing still makes me very nervous. I need to see gameplay in videos before I can even have any sort of excitement for this game.

And one thing that is slightly worrying me is the six-sided ring. Will it work into a game well, without problems of trying to run into the diagonal ropes, missing and climbing the turnbuckle?

Well, err, im pretty sure that 'problem' will only arise if you a stupid enough to take a run at the turnbuckle by accident.

Anyway, the game looks good, but its the game play im interested in.

And one thing that is slightly worrying me is the six-sided ring. Will it work into a game well, without problems of trying to run into the diagonal ropes, missing and climbing the turnbuckle?

Well, err, im pretty sure that 'problem' will only arise if you a stupid enough to take a run at the turnbuckle by accident.

Anyway, the game looks good, but its the game play im interested in.

No, I mean like where you have the SD! games, you've got up, down, left and right to run into ropes, and the diagonals for corners. Now with Impact you will have up, down and diagonal left & right up and down for the ropes, with left and right turnbuckles, as well as the diagonal ones. I can see it being a bit fiddly if you see where I'm coming from.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the CAW, which surely cant be worse than the latest SD's (plain black t-shirt anyone?), and of course going people like Shelley, Sabin, Styles, Daniels, Joe etc., and moves like the Canadian Destoryer, Muscle Buster and Styles Clash being on there and no being shit.

EDIT: This is coming out on PS2 though and over here too right? 'Cause if it aint, at present, I'm stuffed :blush:

Edited by TheModernWay

Well, let´s hope they bring a good game to the marked. They have the inring qualety... maybe the games just like that, good ingame and terrible when it comes to the story mode (well, infact, i belive the storymode will be less sucky than real TNA bullshit :-D)

will this be 3ed generation only?

Well, let´s hope they bring a good game to the marked. They have the inring qualety... maybe the games just like that, good ingame and terrible when it comes to the story mode (well, infact, i belive the storymode will be less sucky than real TNA bullshit :-D)

will this be 3ed generation only?

Nope. It's going to be on the PS2.

• 3 weeks later...

tna-impact-20071009103523561.jpg

Oh yes. Behold The Instant Classic.

CREDIT: IGN.com, is in the PS3 section.

NOTE: If anyone's wondering, I think he's at the 'Japan Stage', as mentioned in the blurb about the game, as you can see the entrance looks different to TNA's, and you can see Japanese symbols. I can see why they've added Europe, Japan etc. as locations for variety, but weird since they ain't been there yet in real life. Should be interesting anywho.

Edited by TheModernWay