FFB: Female Fronted Bands

apsham

So yeah, I've been pretty limited recently so I asked my girlfriend to write me up a list of some of the bands that she listens to and I've been going through them over this weekend, and either way she's into a lot of the female fronted bands (angry girl rock, as I call it) and so far has introduced\had me listen to more of;

The Dollyrots

The Donnas

The Grates

Flyleaf

Morningwood

Dance Hall Crashers (actually, I did this myself)

And probably some others that I am missing scanning the list; so yeah, you know what to do.

Edited by apsham

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation are both girl fronted bands (well, most of Lacuna Coil stuff is fronted by a girl), by they are more considered "goth rock" than anything else.

Paramore is a newer band, they are more pop-punk, though.

Otep is a metal band, and the chick can scream like most of the guys, seriously.

Bif Naked and Halfcocked had some decent stuff, though I haven't heard too much from them lately.

Of course, the classics, like Evanescence, Garbage, Hole, The Distillers, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs but I'm sure you already knew about those.

Lacuna Coil suuuuuuuck.

Check out:

Nightwish and Epica (mmm, Simone Simmons (L)).

Battlelore sort of count. They have prominent female vocalists, although the 'main' vocalist is male.

Also, just because they fit the topic: Arch Enemy. Although they suck even more, and she doesn't sound like a woman at all.

Actually, if you want male/female combinations, check out the Project Hate MCMXCIX (or something like that). It is actually pretty accessible death metal, if that makes any sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZbZn3WBrzE - Hellucination by them.

I know it isn't really your thing, ApSham, but meh, might be worth a look.

Edited by Liam Byrne

Sleater-Kinney is an absolute must. Shonen Knife is pretty good too, though a bit uneven in places (definitely try to find "Quavers," which is in my opinion their best song by a mile).

Mika <_>

GOD I FUCKING HATE HIM.

Seriously though...

If you're looking for something acousticy and calm, check out "Swingset Chain" by Loquat. It came free on my MP3 player, and I'm more into Soundgarden, Audioslave and co., but her voice, it sounds... hot.

For something that has a '70's/Motown/Blues feel to it, "Zero PM" by The BellRays is quite good, off the Driver 3 soundtrack... that I don't own. :shifty:

I don't think that I actually have many songs by female artists/voices that I listen to.

Edited by TheModernWay

Thorr's Hammer, The Vaselines, Camera Obscura, The Concretes, The Slits, Le Tigre, Erase Errata, Japanese Intelligence Mind Control, Tobi Vail, Planningtorock, Hotel Motel, The Raincoats, The Ivories....

That's a handful off the top of my head, anyhow.