RESULTS: EWB's Top 50 Movies

The Hardcore Canuck

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Superbad was nothing at all special, just another interchangeable comedy movie, I'd pretty much forgotten all about it until just now.

The rest of that list is superb, though. Eternal Sunshine is one of my favourite movies of the decade, if not my favourite, absolutely amazing film, Reservoir Dogs is no bad thing although I don't like it as much as some, Shawshank is one of the greatest films ever made, this is just one of those times were opinions don't matter and you're faced with fact, and Battle Royale is an absolutely beautifully made, fantastically acted film. Best bunch so far.

Superbad?! Bwahahahahahahaha. Ridiculous.

However Shawshank is an exceptional film, Reservoir Dogs is a fine piece of acting and direction...

But Eternal Sunshine and Battle Royale are both in my top six movies of all time so delighted to see them 9th and 6th in this. Eternal Sunshine is a beautifully confused romance, second only to the beauty of Amelie while Battle Royale continues to be horrifically underrated as it's full of excellent acting, fine music, beautiful settings, fantastic direction and a magnificent swathe of jet black dark humour cutting through a deep political backstory and utterly modern day "shock horror" plot.

I've kept quiet about the selections so far, but I feel I should play Devil's Advocate on Superbad. Please keep in mind, I am, in no way, justifying its position on the list.

"Superbad" has been heralded by many as this generations "Dazed and Confused". It's a story for todays youth, about todays youth. It deals with many of the issues faced by many of todays youth (although greatly exagerated). Insecurity, girls, college, drinking, peer acceptance, etc. While many people will dismiss "Superbad" as another one of those damn teen comedys, many accept it as everyday life for them and, as it is a comedy, it makes light of the very real situations faced by them.

"Superbad" has been heralded by many as this generations "Dazed and Confused". It's a story for todays youth, about todays youth. It deals with many of the issues faced by many of todays youth (although greatly exagerated). Insecurity, girls, college, drinking, peer acceptance, etc. While many people will dismiss "Superbad" as another one of those damn teen comedys, many accept it as everyday life for them and, as it is a comedy, it makes light of the very real situations faced by them.

Given that I haven't actually seen Superbad, and don't really intend to, but surely thats basically just American Pie? Unless I'm misunderstanding the general point of Superbad, but of what I've seen, hasn't most of the teen comedy genre just been ofshoots of AP, after it (for some reason) became hugely popular? I'm not insulting Superbad which may be a good movie, and I'm certainly no fanboy of American Pie, but thats pretty much the definitive movie I think of when someone mentions the 'teen comedy' type of movies.

Given that I haven't actually seen Superbad, and don't really intend to, but surely thats basically just American Pie? Unless I'm misunderstanding the general point of Superbad, but of what I've seen, hasn't most of the teen comedy genre just been ofshoots of AP, after it (for some reason) became hugely popular? I'm not insulting Superbad which may be a good movie, and I'm certainly no fanboy of American Pie, but thats pretty much the definitive movie I think of when someone mentions the 'teen comedy' type of movies.

A good, fair point well made.

Superbad's a good movie. It is. I didn't care for the first act because it wasn't much other than sex jokes, but once it started rolling with McLovin getting stuck in the liquor store onwards, it became a really strong comedy with actual substance and character development.

But this is way, way, way way way too high for it and I'm betting that next year when this list is run again it'll either be in the thirties at highest or not on the list at all. Just a bit of a minor blemish on a list that is otherwise shaping up to be fairly good, all things considered.

When I went to see it I was in stitches. Besides Borat and Shaun of the Dead, there hasn't been a film I've laughed at more. It probably won't rank well in later years because comedies don't do well on repeat viewings (you know all the jokes already) but for now at least, I'd rank it as one of my favourite fifteen films, which is why I voted for it.

EDIT: Assuming I did. I can't remember now.

Edited by Pesci Queen

The poll is for your favourite ever movies, so I think my "top ten movies of all time" comment is fine, as its asking for the posters favourite ever movies. And I liked The Simpsons Movie.

If these lists were supposed to be "favorite ever," then it would be the same lists every single year. Music threads would be Metallica, Zeppelin, GnR, and Garbage ( :shifty: ) at the top and movies would always be Godfather, LotR, Star Wars, and Pulp Fiction.

Superbad was the breakout hit of the year, doesn't surprise me at all that it's on the list. Yeah it's high, but it's fresh in everyone's minds. As for the correlation to American Pie, Superbad is actually, ya know, good. And even so, you can use that comparison and say isn't American Pie just another version of Dazed and Confused which is just another version of Fast Times at Ridgemont High and every teen comedy that has come along in between everyone of those movies. Every once in awhile a movie will come along to rejuvenate a genre and Superbad did that this time around. That being said, I thought Superbad was somewhat overrated and I don't agree with its placement on the list despite getting why it is there.

No order here, just all around favorites.

1. Taxi Driver

2. A Clockwork Orange

3. Trainspotting

4. Pulp Fiction

5. Romper Stomper

6. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

7. Raging Bull

8. Suburbia

9. Sid and Nancy

10. American Psycho

11. The Road Warrior

12. Gangs of New York

13. Rob Roy

14. Last of the Mohicans

15. Goodfellas

So out of my choices, I've seen A Clockwork Orange, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Trainspotting, American Psycho, and The Road Warrior on the list (unless I missed some). After seeing the Warriors on the list, I'm absolutely shocked that I forgot the movie and probably would have had it 13th on my list pushing Goodfellas out.

I'm bummed to see the lack of love for Raging Bull, Gangs of New York, and Last of the Mohicans though. Those are three classic movies with great acting and great stories. Plus all three are based on great books, Raging Bull being one of the best biographies I've ever read. Stuff like Rob Roy, Romper Stomper, and Suburbia not making it doesn't surprise me since very few people seem to herald them as great movies. Suburbia really isn't, but it's a favorite of mine.

I'm assuming Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas will make it to the top five, Pulp Fiction being a strong candidate for number 1.

Overall, the list hasn't been bad, I've seen quite a few movies that I didn't vote for, but that I do love and own. At the same time there are other movies that make me scratch my head, but that's been covered by just about everybody already.

1. American Beauty - #18

2. Pulp Fiction

3. The Departed

4. Goodfellas

5. Reservoir Dogs - #8

6. Battle Royale - #6

7. The Shawshank Redemption - #6

8. Forrest Gump

9. Shaun Of The Dead - #15

10. True Romance

11. Blow

12. Kill Bill Volume 1

13. City Of God

14. Scarface - #29

15. Kill Bill Volume 2

Die Hard, Trainspotting, The Green Mile, and Eternal Sunshine after seeing it the other day probably would've been on my list if I'd taken more time to think about it. Well obviously Eternal Sunshine couldn't have been but you get what I'm trying to say.

I have five films I haven't seen yet that I've decided have a good chance of showing up. And there's five left, right? I can't see any of them not making this list but then again I can't see Fight Club not making it. So I'm guessing he's counted the two Kill Bill films as one. Either that or The Departed has shown up and I've missed it, or it didn't make it at all, which would just be shite.

And I guess I didn't have Superbad on my list after all, haha.

Edited by Pesci Queen

goodfellas.jpg

5. Goodfellas

"And when the cops, when they assigned a whole army to stop Jimmy, what'd he do? He made 'em partners."

2006: 4 (-1)

americanhistoryx.jpg

4. American History X

"I said: Put your mouth on the curb!"

2006: 11 (+5)

fightclub.jpg

3. Fight Club

"Fight Club was the beginning, now it's moved out of the basement, it's called Project Mayhem."

2006: 2 (-1)

thedeparted.jpg

2. The Departed

"Church wants you on your place. Kneel, stand, kneel, stand. If you go for that sort of thing, I don't know what to do for you. A man makes his own way. No one gives it to you. You have to take it. "Non serviam.""

2006: Did Not Rank

pulpfiction.jpg

1. Pulp Fiction

"I'm prepared to scour the the Earth for that motherfucker. If Butch goes to Indochina, I want a nigger waiting in a bowl of rice ready to pop a cap in his ass."

2006: 1 (-)