Hatton vs Mayweather

Liam

Who will win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. And the winner, and still undefeated is......

• Ricky Hatton
    • Floyd Mayweather
    • .........it's Vegas, chance for more money....give me the draw.

NBT, I didn't see the fight, so I can't answer to your second point. With your first point, I agree with you, and the only two 'defenses' I could see to it are, one, boxing is fucking corrupt anyway, and two, the match was in England, correct? Home game for Hatton, the judges could be to even the playing field, so to speak. Either way, it should have been impartial judges, or at least a mix. The ref, I'm not to concerned about.

It was in Vegas. Though, listening to the crowd, it might have well have been Manchester.

Hatton had been previously warned for hitting the back of the head, problem was, Mayweather was bent over double both times like he was trying to see what the underside of his own balls looked like.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the match, but from all I've heard, Mayweather outclassed Hatton. Fair play to him, but Mayweather was a cut above.

And though he came across as arrogant to start with, I liked Mayweather's comments about Hatton in the post match press conference.

You are aware that Mayweather TKO'ed Hatton right? The location of the fight, a different referee or different judges can't help you when you don't finish the fight. In Manchester the result would be the same unless Hatton gets bigger, develops more speed and Mayweather gets mugged by the fans.

Any chance Hatton had of fighting his kind of fight was destroyed by Cortez stopping action every three seconds for no apparent reason. I won't say it was intentional, but Cortez was being far too assertive in the ring by breaking them up every time Floyd would dive under Ricky's arms. A better referee would have let them go. I'm not taking a thing away from Mayweather because he showed up to fight and certainly shut me up by trading hands with Hatton and putting up a great fight at points. His work in the later rounds was masterful and from around the eighth on, he knew he had it sewn up. It doesn't change the fact that Cortez blew it in the early rounds by being overly assertive to Mayweather's advantage and blew it again by deducting points on a phantom punch on a fighter who turned his back.

One could also argue that Hatton routinely gets to fight his kind of fight at home when technically speaking he does a lot of holding and hitting as they're about to break the clinch which is borderline illegal depending on how long he holds before he hits, or if it's after the ref warns them to break. It works for him when the ref allows it, but Cortez didn't in this case. If they had a rematch in England Floyd would have to be much more aggressive because Hatton would be allowed to rough him up, and ironically enough I think that would probably signal an earlier defeat for Hatton.