YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what an absoloute clusterfuck of an awards show. The nominations are all pretty much the same whichever category. Add to that the fact some of those bands haven't released anything in literally years:

My chemical romance

Kill hannah (as far as i know?)

lost prophets

Its just really shit that the same bands get the same nominations every year regardless of what they release or when.

Edited by The Chief

Counting Crows/Ben Folds arena tour in December. Not sure whether I'll go. There's a Newcastle date. But it's like £35, so I don't know.

Also, Trust Company reformed earlier in the year. That's fucking badass. One of the few 'american alt-rock' band I liked, and still actively like. The first album was so catchy (Don't think I ever listened to the second).

Edited by YI

On a completley different note, has anyone heard of "Connor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band" ? apparantley its his solo project, which i don't understand because i thought he was the only member in bright eyes? >_<

Bright Eyes is Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis, and Nate Walcott. Conor has openly stated that as it being a band rather than it being just him.

I thought that happened not that long ago (within a year). I sort of considered them to be a band based around the fact you couldn't play it without one. As well as the fact that it's always the same instruments in the songs (besides different guitars) so it sort of seems more bandy than individual.

As a sidenote Nate's in this band too. I'll be going in Oct. I'm fairly certain DCFC play at the same venue a couple of weeks before so double score. I think we're getting better bands down here because of the shit US dollar and the fact we're big gig goers apparently, which helps when people don't buy CDs.

Counting Crows/Ben Folds arena tour in December. Not sure whether I'll go. There's a Newcastle date. But it's like £35, so I don't know.

Also, Trust Company reformed earlier in the year. That's fucking badass. One of the few 'american alt-rock' band I liked, and still actively like. The first album was so catchy (Don't think I ever listened to the second).

You liked Trust Company? Weird, never saw that one coming.

And that Counting Crows/Ben Folds tour sounds excellent as a potential Chrimbo prezzie for the missus....but Brighton Dome aren't selling tickets at the moment.

Glasgow date for CC doesn't have Ben Folds as well which sucks the big one, the only date on the tour without him as far as I can see. May have to make the trip to either Newcastle or London to see them.

Fuck, the Reuben forum's efforts to get Reuben voted as Best British Band apparently failed :(

They fucking deserve it though. Lostprophets haven't released anything this year, You me at six is a shit name for a band, and they're a shit band anyway, Bullet's album's not as good as the first, and Biffy Clyro are Scottish <_<

what an absoloute clusterfuck of an awards show. The nominations are all pretty much the same whichever category. Add to that the fact some of those bands haven't released anything in literally years:

My chemical romance

lost prophets

Its just really shit that the same bands get the same nominations every year regardless of what they release or when.

Their last album got rejigged and released in Britain for the first time a couple of months back. But newcomer seems a bizzare award to give to them.

I hate Kerrang.

My chemical romance

lost prophets

Their last album got rejigged and released in Britain for the first time a couple of months back. But newcomer seems a bizzare award to give to them.

I hate Kerrang.

i see! because i'd heard it aaaaages ago and was suprised to hear it being constantly played all of a sudden 2 years later. newcomer is a bti stupid actually since they have 2 albums out.

M.I.A is fucking class, but Paper Planes probably isn't the strongest track on that album, certainly not lyrically. Needs more Jonathan Richman/Pixies references :shifty:

I don't think it needs to be too deep lyrically, though, a lot of the strength lies in the simplicity.

Aren't Kill Hannah at least decade old? Not to mention that they are utter pish. Though there are very few bands there that I like. Biffy Clyro and Coheed and Cambria deserve to pick up their respective awards, as do Four Year Strong.

Eliot Minor in the UK newcomer spot have been going for years and are the poor mans McFly. Never have any faith in a newcomer category. I mean I don't have much say in a Kerrang awards thing anyway, I find their scope scarily narrow (white? guitars? you're in!) but really, Eliot Minor?

Pimping of the day;

1202770127.jpg

Incredibly catchy pop-punk band from the UK. EP was released earlier in the year. Mixture of Jack's Mannequin, Fall Out Boy, New Found Glory, Me Vs Hero (another awesome UK pop-punk/melodic hardcore band), Four Year Strong etc. With the occasional gang vocals etc coming through, but it's still all soft and fluffy pop-punk. Track 2, "This Is How We Roll!" has the cheesiest piano riff I have ever heard in my life.

CHECK THEM OUT

Saw Mars Volta at Roundhouse on Wednesday with my brother's flatmate and some other random character. Was pilled off my tits, played a load of new stuff (I presume), as I can only remember "Drunkship Of Lanterns", which I think they closed with. Were a bit shit to be honest.

Shit. I'm seeing them in September, and I was hoping they wouldn't play so much new stuff. I need my Frances the Mute fix.