The OAO Grand Theft Auto IV Thread

abundant

Well the main reason I pre-ordered and didn't want to buy it from Tesco was the fact that the guy who sorts out the Games/DVD's is a stubborn bastard, and only updates the charts on Friday's. Even though they might have the game behind the counter, like you say, chances are they wouldn't know if it was supposed to be released and wouldn't give it to me.

I'm quite surprised I haven't seen any advertising of GTA in Tesco yet. They usually have big boards up for big releases.

Generally for big releases at Woolies (Harry Potter books, Halo/GTA games), the stock comes in a box that looks just like any other (to avoid standing out in transit), but then you open them and there's at least 3 or 4 bits of paper marked in huge letters "DO NOT SELL BEFORE TUESDAY APRIL 29th 2008" or whatever the date is. Not to mention we get a conference call about it and it'll be communicated down via e-mail too. But yet there's always some stores that sell it early because they're stupid. Heck, we probably won't even bring the stock up from the stock room until Monday night after we're closed to avoid it being sold early accidentally.

As for advertising, it'll be all over the place come the weekend. I know Rockstar/Take Two bought some advertising space at Woolies to feature the game from Friday with the release date all over it, and that'll change to standard display cases from Monday night/Tuesday morning.

EDIT: And for Halo 3 it was featured at number 1 in the charts the Friday before with a sign detailing the release date next to it, so there will no doubt be a few places who forget to put the sign up, so you could play dumb and chance it and try taking one up to the counter over the weekend if the places have the stock in they might accidentally sell you one. Unless head office set it to "forbid from sale" on the tills until the 29th, but they never seem to do for some reason. The cynic in me thinks they might just be testing if we know what the fuck we're doing.

Edited by Scott McFly

I'm surprised UPCs aren't set up in the store that prevents the sale before a certain day. I think at Walgreens movies used to (or still do) have a sticker next to the price that says when the release date is, and if you try to scan it earlier it won't let you. Similar to selling alcohol before/after a certain time at supermarkets.

I'm surprised UPCs aren't set up in the store that prevents the sale before a certain day. I think at Walgreens movies used to (or still do) have a sticker next to the price that says when the release date is, and if you try to scan it earlier it won't let you. Similar to selling alcohol before/after a certain time at supermarkets.

Walmart does that.

So as far as supermarkets go, look towards £45 as the cheapest to get the game? And is that for X-Box 360 or both?

Normally supermarkets will try and undercut each other and start advertising as such a day or two before, but for GTA I wouldn't be surprised if they realise they can charge £45 for it and people will pay it to get a copy.

It's been confirmed; we will see GTA IV In-game footage this Sunday!

GTA IV is almost here, but if you want to get an early look at the biggest game of the year, make sure to check out G4 on Sunday, April 27th for an Exclusive Sneak Peek.

At noon this Sunday, we'll be interrupting our regularly scheduled programming to bring you the very first Hands On Demo of Grand Theft Auto IV with a special GTA IV: Exclusive Sneak Peek.

It’s an Exclusive World Premiere that will be coming to you commercial free and ONLY on G4! This is the first moment Rock Star is making game play footage available to the public and G4 is the only place to catch all the GTA goodness on your TV, with loads of bonus footage available on G4tv.com!

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/ind...=684796#684796

Also, for those who don't have a 360 or PS3, Best Buy is running a deal where you buy a 360 + GTA 4 and get a $50 gift card.

EDIT: IGN posted a new multiplayer impressions. The only real news to come out of it is that, just like in Halo 3 and COD 4, there's a party system. The lobby is also called Party Mode and lets you and your party fuck around Liberty City while the host sets up the game.

Edited by abundant

I'd hardly think an entireradio station to Nickelback would cause the game to jump the shark. Not like Nickelback fans around the world will be all "LETS BUY THIS GAME FOR THESE SONGS WE PROBABLY ALREADY OWN" or anything.