The Anime Thread

Ruki

Major spoilers for latest My Hero manga chapter.

Spoiler

Holy shit Bakugo finally paid Deku back for trying to save him from the Sludge villain. I hope he and Endeavor don't die after getting stabbed like that. There's still so much I want to see from both. 

Spent this weekend checking out the two BNHA/MHA films Two Heroes and Heroes Rising. Both of them are kinda naff in the continuity like every anime film, but holy moly the action scenes (ESPECIALLY in Heroes Rising) were absolute A++

It has reminded me that I really love My Hero and it's probably my favourite anime going on right now, and I can't wait for the next season to drop!

I also finished Deca-Dence a bit ago, really lovely little show. Only twelve episodes, but it manages to write a full story in those 4 hours and the dynamic between the young idealistic heroine and the bitter cynical old trainer is one of my favourites.

For a general spoilery synopsis of that series, here's a spoiler below.

Spoiler

Attack on Titan meets The Truman Show. Humanity has been decimated by gigantic aliens/monsters, humanity (and some alien-ish species) fight together to survive... But it's all a gigantic Westworld-ish theme park for quirky robotic aliens to cavort around in and humanity is basically strung along unknowingly in this play.

The story is about a young girl wanting to become a warrior (despite missing an arm from a monster attack), and finding out her supervisor on her job is a cynical bitter old ex-warrior who she nags enough to train her. (But the old man has a dark past, because of course!)

Edited by Jasonmufc

I'm waiting on the Dub for Heroes Rising. It's supposed to be out on the 13th for rent on the PSN store.

46 minutes ago, =BK= said:

I'm waiting on the Dub for Heroes Rising. It's supposed to be out on the 13th for rent on the PSN store.

I think you're going to love it. Where Two Heroes kinda focused heavily on a smaller group whilst sidelining a different part of the cast, I love that Heroes Rising really goes their way to make all the 1-A kids shine through in their own distinct ways.

Also a spoiler about something from the end of Season 4 that is confirmed in the film.

Spoiler

Endeavor got messed up in that final fight in Season 4, and damn did his face got scarred good from it.

I wasn't sure if it was going to be a lasting thing or just battle damage that got healed through well placed granny kisses, but Endeavor looking scarier than ever now.

Ah yeah, that spoiler is obvious in the manga. Which reminds me, I have an unread new chapter to go read.

• Like 1

Just finished the finale of Food Wars. An enjoyable anime, not my favorite, but it had characters that I enjoyed enough.

I was also trying to get into God of Highschool, which sounds to be right up my alley (Fighting! Tournaments!), but it just wasn't clicking for me, which is unfortunate. Maybe I pick up Re;Zero season 2. Is there a quick like... 5 minute review of the first season?

48 minutes ago, Rukaru Shida said:

Just finished the finale of Food Wars. An enjoyable anime, not my favorite, but it had characters that I enjoyed enough.

I was also trying to get into God of Highschool, which sounds to be right up my alley (Fighting! Tournaments!), but it just wasn't clicking for me, which is unfortunate. Maybe I pick up Re;Zero season 2. Is there a quick like... 5 minute review of the first season?

Has Food Wars ended? 

I'm waiting for the final 5 volumes of Haikyuu to read. So good, so happy the anime is back. The manga/show grew quick on me. Love the characters.

Also started a new anime, which started in itself last friday, Jujutsu Kaisen, love the concept.

3 minutes ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

Has Food Wars ended? 

I'm waiting for the final 5 volumes of Haikyuu to read. So good, so happy the anime is back. The manga/show grew quick on me. Love the characters.

Also started a new anime, which started in itself last friday, Jujutsu Kaisen, love the concept.

It did! Last Friday. 

I've seen that name, I think I saw Crunchyroll advertising it? What's it about?

Jujutsu Kaisen is like dark fantasy/super power. Extremely Shonen Jump yet with a totally different coat of paint. I'm excited. MAPPA basically rush jobbed God of High School (which was not good) for this show for what it's worth. 

I thought Food Wars ended a bit weakly, it ran its course but still decided on needing a finale arc with totally new villains with very little build or strong motivations. As a story I felt it suffered from diminishing returns with every ensuing arc.

Not ending weakly appears to be Haikyuu which is just so, so strong consistently.

I'm checking out the remake of Higurashi of course. Am eagerly anticipating Moriarty as well. It's a relatively packed season of anime with the number of shows that had to get shifted to it from spring and summer.

Also the Burn the Witch movie is up on Crunchyroll now, I think I'll be watching that over the weekend. 

On 07/10/2020 at 22:28, Rukaru Shida said:

I would recommend Kengan Ashura if you haven't seen it, as its entire premise is literally Fighting! Tournament! Netflix is midway through the second-round fights, but the entire Manga is done if you're impatient (like me). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Akudama Drive is neat. It asks the important question "what if we made Danganronpa even more absurd?". Recommend checking it out if you enjoyed DR.

Welp, that's me sold with a single sentence. 

• 2 weeks later...