The Anime Thread

Ruki

Digimon is a far better anime than Pokemon ever was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, =BK= said:

Digimon is a far better anime than Pokemon ever was.

Agreed. But I also feel that it is kinda unfair to compare the two.

The Pokemon anime is basically a promotional tool for the games that they can keep going for as long as they keep making the games. And they keep everything as simple and streamlined as they can so nobody has troubles getting into the anime even if they haven't been watching since episode 1. All you need to know is that Ash is trying to become a Pokemon master, that is traveling the world with his Pikachu and 2 interchangeable companions to reach that goal and that every now and then Team Rocket will try to steal his Pokemon and you are good to go. There is no complex plot, no character development, no deep lore and the stakes are low (except for the movies). 

Digimon on the other hand had a more detailed plot, more interesting characters who go through changes and who have relationships with other characters that develop over the course of the show, deeper lore (especially when you get to later seasons), high stakes and most important of all: an endpoint. The show isn't designed to be open-ended. And with the exception of Digimon Adventore 01 and 02 we never meet the same group of Tamers twice. 

• Like 1

I just wanna share the Digimon Tri Trailer.

I still need to find time for Tri.

As a nine year old I basically saw Digimon as "It's pokémon, but it's not Pokémon, so it's a bunch of shit so i'm not watching it."

Obviously kid me was a bloody dumbass, so not much has changed in the past 20 years. I wonder if I should bother to pick it up, or if it's too kiddo of an anime.

3 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

I wonder if I should bother to pick it up, or if it's too kiddo of an anime.

My Dad used to watch it with me and it was his favorite. It's a bit kiddie but it gets less and less as it goes.

44 minutes ago, =BK= said:

I just wanna share the Digimon Tri Trailer.

I still need to find time for Tri.

It's not that good. And they completely ignore the 02 kids. I was very underwhelmed by the whole thing. I hope the next series of movies they do will be better. At the very least they have released aged-up version of the 02 kids as promotional material so they hopefully won't ignore them this time around. 

tbh I am fine with 02 kids being ignored. I liked them and all but 01 is where my memories are tied.

As far as nostalgia goes Adventure 02 is as important to me as Adventure 01. I know 02 has it's fair share of problems and that it isn't as highly regarded by Japanese and international fans alike. But writing them out of the show in just a hamfisted way and not even bringing them in for the grand finale just feels wrong and disrespectful. We don't even get to see them. We only see their silhouettes in one scene. They couldn't even be bothered to come up with updated designs for them for that one scene. And that is all they needed to do. They didn't need to animate them or hire voice actors. But apparently that was still too much effort. If you going to just ignore 02 you might as well do what they did with the most recent Halloween sequel and ignore everything that happened after the original show entirely. 

They are rebooting Digimon Adventure in April. According to Anime News Network the show will feature an original story and not simply be a remake of the original anime.

Source: Anime News Network

The new movie "Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution", which takes place five years after Tri, will be released in Japan on February 21. It will screen in select theaters in the United States on March 25.

Source: Anime News Network

So the 02 kids will be on this although the main focus appears to be on the 01 kids judging by the trailer. It's not ideal but realistically this is the best scenario fans of Adventure 02 could hope for. The trailer is dope though. 

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Want. I love the Inuyasha soundtrack so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been finding the school festival stuff in MHA interminably boring, for sure the first time I've ever had a hard time getting through it. I'll tough it out to get to that finale, though.

Oh shit, new Food Wars starts this week. I need to watch The Fourth Plate.. and I think I didn't ever finish The Third Plate either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

Oh shit, new Food Wars starts this week. I need to watch The Fourth Plate.. and I think I didn't ever finish The Third Plate either.

4th Plate was fun! I honestly thought they would finish after there.