NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

LIONS FANS REJOICE!

MILLEN IS OUT!

Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2008, 10:02 a.m. Less than an hour ago, yours truly told the Sports Junkies on WJFK radio in D.C. that Matt Millen will continue to run the Detroit Lions for as long as William Clay Ford Sr. owns the team.

And, to no surprise, Millen has been fired. Jay Glazer of FOX reports that Millen is out.

Per Glazer, the decision came on Tuesday night. It’s unclear whether Millen resigned or was fired. The timing of the move, coming a day after Bill Ford Jr. said that he’d fire Millen if he could makes us think that Millen might have decided to move on.

Millen, who previously was a game analyst for FOX, became the president and G.M. of the team in 2001. The team generated a woeful record of 31-84 during seven-plus seasons.

Edited by Evil Chase K

LIONS FANS REJOICE!

MILLEN IS OUT!

Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2008, 10:02 a.m. Less than an hour ago, yours truly told the Sports Junkies on WJFK radio in D.C. that Matt Millen will continue to run the Detroit Lions for as long as William Clay Ford Sr. owns the team.

And, to no surprise, Millen has been fired. Jay Glazer of FOX reports that Millen is out.

Per Glazer, the decision came on Tuesday night. It’s unclear whether Millen resigned or was fired. The timing of the move, coming a day after Bill Ford Jr. said that he’d fire Millen if he could makes us think that Millen might have decided to move on.

Millen, who previously was a game analyst for FOX, became the president and G.M. of the team in 2001. The team generated a woeful record of 31-84 during seven-plus seasons.

Thank God! Now maybe if we can get a decent GM, we'll have a decent team in about 10 years when we recover from the Salary Cap Hell that Millen put us in.

This year however, I'm just dreading seeing our final record. This Lions team looks to be the worst Lions team that I've ever seen play. And I've been watching since 1991 (when I was 10), so that's saying something.

I wonder what they'll do with www.firemillen.com. Actually, I wonder what the Lions fans rallying cry will be now that Millen is gone? Fire Marinelli? Sell the team Ford? Who knows.

Either way this is a day to celebrate if you're a Lions fan. Let's just hope they don't screw the pooch and actually get someone who knows what he's doing in there.

At least the Lions wear nice uniforms. You can take pride in that!

It is unclear if Millen resigned or if he was fired. Either way, it is a positive move for the Lions. Now maybe they won't draft a wide reciever in the first round again?

Ben Graham!

I have no problem with the Chargers winning, But I hate that Gates hasn't been getting more points.

I'm down only 20 16 15.55 points, Come on Favre and throw 100 yards for a TD or somthing.

Worst.DolphinsFan.Ever

I would have said something but I used up all my Pats fan bashing quota on last years Superbowl.

I was mostly referring to the fact that you want Brett Favre to succeed no matter whether you have him in your FF team or not.

He wasn't even playing against the god damn Dolphins.

Still, the Dolphins hatred for anything Jets is immense.

Ben Graham!

I have no problem with the Chargers winning, But I hate that Gates hasn't been getting more points.

I'm down only 20 16 15.55 points, Come on Favre and throw 100 yards for a TD or somthing.

Worst.DolphinsFan.Ever

I would have said something but I used up all my Pats fan bashing quota on last years Superbowl.

I was mostly referring to the fact that you want Brett Favre to succeed no matter whether you have him in your FF team or not.

He wasn't even playing against the god damn Dolphins.

Dolphins need all the help they can get, more games your divisional rivals lose the better, silly. Also, I really want Favre to shit the bed this year, he deserves it for the stringing along and horrible mess of a departure from the Packers.

LIONS FANS REJOICE!

MILLEN IS OUT!

HOORAY! The idiot is finally gone!

It's laughable when ESPN puts up that stat that the Lions have won one fewer game then the expansion Texans over MM's reign... considering the Texans didn't actually start playing football until a year later.

Though, I don't know if this situation is the a 'great' thing for Lions fans. True, MM is gone, but the ownership group which initially hired him, and then allowed him to stay around for 7/8 years are still running the teams. So as scary as it sounds... the same people who hired MM in the first place, will be the ones who hire his replacement.

...yah, I'm sure things will turn around FAST.

It's laughable when ESPN puts up that stat that the Lions have won one fewer game then the expansion Texans over MM's reign... considering the Texans didn't actually start playing football until a year later.

Though, I don't know if this situation is the a 'great' thing for Lions fans. True, MM is gone, but the ownership group which initially hired him, and then allowed him to stay around for 7/8 years are still running the teams. So as scary as it sounds... the same people who hired MM in the first place, will be the ones who hire his replacement.

...yah, I'm sure things will turn around FAST.

This was there learning experience. They won't want to repeat history. The next GM is probably going to be on a short leash.

Their next GM will be probably one with experience and know what they're doing, unlike Millen who was a great player and a good color guy but he didn't exactly have the resume that you should look for when trying to put a team together.

Honestly I don't think a new GM is going to help the Lions. The ownership has always been the issue. The Ford family ever since they've owned the team have bad bad decisions left and right and I feel it will stay that way until someone outside the family just corks up the cash and buys them or the Fords just crook and end up having to sell in the end.

The ownership is a problem because they hire the wrong people. Russ Thomas or Thompson wasn't much of a GM before Millen, though Millen made him look like a genius.

Realistically, this season is over, but at least Millen is gone.

What they need to do is bring in a guy that can build a good football team, somebody with a proven track record. Most importantly, they need to hire a GM that can draft some real fucking players.

And yeah, a lot of fans are calling for Bill Cowher. From the Detroit perspective, we see a guy that was a successful coach, and always seemed to pick up the right players. It just depends on how much Cowher was involved in personnel decisions, it also depends on if he wants to leave the analyst booth and come to Detroit. Jimmy Johnson is another name I've heard thrown around.

<br />The ownership is a problem because they hire the wrong people. Russ Thomas or Thompson wasn't much of a GM before Millen, though Millen made him look like a genius. <br /><br />Realistically, this season is over, but at least Millen is gone. <br /><br />What they need to do is bring in a guy that can build a good football team, somebody with a proven track record. Most importantly, they need to hire a GM that can draft some real fucking players. <br /><br />And yeah, a lot of fans are calling for Bill Cowher. From the Detroit perspective, we see a guy that was a successful coach, and always seemed to pick up the right players. It just depends on how much Cowher was involved in personnel decisions, it also depends on if he wants to leave the analyst booth and come to Detroit. Jimmy Johnson is another name I've heard thrown around.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Cowher never made personnel decision in Pittsburgh. He had influence over decisions because he was friends with Kevin Colbert, but Cowher is not an X's and O's guy. He's a motivator. He's not a great talent evaluator. Hence why he rarely started rookies even when they were clearly better than the starter they are behind. Plus, he's very stubborn and will stick with something that isn't working much longer than is necessary.

.....Barry Sanders...think about it. Thank about everything he did for that team. The man knows talent also..I think it would be an interesting move..that is if he's interested.

How do you know he knows talent?

Just wondering

Yeah because I mean, it's not like he played with talent.

He was the only one that had it when he played. :shifty:

Seriously though the Lions would be even more retarded if they went with ANOTHER guy who doesn't have experience at at least some level of personnel decisions.