Your Inductions Into The Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame

LL!

There has been tons of controversy lately about Madonna's entry into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. Rightfully so. If your genre of music isn't even remotely close to within an inch of rock then you, honestly, don't belong in the HOF and should stray away from it at all costs. I won't doubt her success or consistency, her album sales, I won't doubt any of it. She is definitely an artist to remember, but just doesn't belong in the HOF. It is a ROCK Hall Of Fame, and it should stay that way.

With that in mind, I'd like to see what three bands they would put in the HOF that hasn't already. Bands that you think should have already or should be put in. You must take into consideration their current status, as in, how big are they in the rock world and not how big they will get eventually.

My list is as follows in no particular order:

1. Red Hot Chili Peppers - A band that has been as consistent as possible with some great music and album sales to follow. If they don't make it into the HOF at some point then it will be a sham of a HOF.

2. Metallica - I'm not much big a fan of Metallica. They have some good stuff, but as a whole, they've never done a whole lot for me. However, it cannot be argued what they've done for Rock as a whole and what they continue to still do. Top album sales and an award at the Grammies basically dedicated in their honor, if they don't get included then they are just wrong.

3. Korn - This is a band that has caused tons of controversy down here about their inclusion. I'm not sure what the fuss is about, this is a band that has been extremely consistent in their ways. They lost an integral band member and kept on rolling. They still make songs that are incredibly catchy and thought out and still sell as a huge name in the business.

Now, what are yours?

Edit: For a list of past inductions, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_..._Fame_inductees

Edited by Fllexo

I say Korn shouldn't be among those picks. I can see your point, LL, but I say wait a few years before inducting any nu-metal artists in the HOF. I mean, even The Cure isn't in the Hall of Fame just yet (which I'd argue is just as important and successful), and it took them until 2007 to recognize the Sex Pistols. And on your Madonna argument well...names like Grandmaster Flash and Prince litter the Hall, so a relevant pop star who did make some decent music for her time deserves some recognition. Now I don't think this should open up the pop floodgates, but Madonna is a special case.

Three good bands that should be in:

1. Metallica most definitely.

2. The aforementioned Cure.

3. The Buzzcocks.

Edited by ROC

I completely understand that there are artists in the HOF that don't have a semblance of Rock in their music, and while they did do a lot for music and deserve recognition, I don't think this is the hall they belong in. I'm in favor of making a seperate Hall for "Pop" Music where all kinds of music can be honored. Rock'N'Roll is just kinda.. too specific for them.

There has been tons of controversy lately about Madonna's entry into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. Rightfully so. If your genre of music isn't even remotely close to within an inch of rock then you, honestly, don't belong in the HOF and should stray away from it at all costs. I won't doubt her success or consistency, her album sales, I won't doubt any of it. She is definitely an artist to remember, but just doesn't belong in the HOF. It is a ROCK Hall Of Fame, and it should stay that way.
Edited by Iain76er

It's part of the march of time. We're getting into people who started recording in 1983, at which point synthesizers and videos started taking over music. Separate Halls of Fame would be worthless, as almost every artist coming down the pike today can slam four things together and the press will coin some new genre. Honestly, I wouldn't class Madonna as less "rock 'n' roll" than people like Ricky Nelson and Dion.

And seriously, ROC? Prince "litters" the Hall? I understand Flash, as Hip-Hop is one of the only genres that could stand to have its own Hall, but my God, for 30 years, Prince has torn out rock music that would make Robert Smith's balls melt. If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were just looking for black artists to single out, since they can't possibly know anything about rock 'n' roll. :rolleyes: I'd have thought you knew your shit better than that.

As for my three, I agree with Chase on Metallica and Alice. My third would have to be an interesting oldie: The Faces. A group that launched Ronnie Wood, Rod Stewart, and Kenney Jones and gets cited as being almost as influential as the Stones. Very odd that they're not in already.

1. Metallica. I think the reasons are rather self-evident.

2. Ministry. I can not for the life of me think of another band more integral to the structuring of industrial and rock/metal combining. The band's been around a long, long time and has influenced many other bands.

3. The Misfits (Danzig Version.) One of the bigger punk bands, they created their own punk subgenre - horror punk. They've inspired countless bands, and have a huge fanbase, even though the original lineup broke up 25 years ago.

And seriously, ROC? Prince "litters" the Hall? I understand Flash, as Hip-Hop is one of the only genres that could stand to have its own Hall, but my God, for 30 years, Prince has torn out rock music that would make Robert Smith's balls melt. If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were just looking for black artists to single out, since they can't possibly know anything about rock 'n' roll. :rolleyes: I'd have thought you knew your shit better than that.

You'e bitching about Madonna when Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, The Supremes, Otis Redding etc. are in. I'd class Madonna as more rock than the Hip-Hop, R&B & Doo-Wop groups in it.

To answer the question, the only one that sticks out in not being there, mainly due to the American-centricism of it would be Cliff Richard.

1. Link Wray. The fact that he hasn't been inducted yet, even if he's passed away, is insane. The man pioneered the power chord, for fuck's sake, he's certainly done more for rock and roll than Madonna.

2. Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Rosetta Tharpe was a pioneer in the field of gospel music, an amazing guitarist who not only influenced rock and roll but incorporated that revolution into her own style seamlessly, playing the electric guitar as if it were an extension of her own body, and her music and guitar playing heavily influenced some of the most important people in music over subsequent decades.

3. The Cure. Because... yeah. They're The Cure.

Also, ROC, mocking Prince to justify Madonna's inclusion into the hall? Jesus, what are you talking about?

Here goes;

Quincy Jones (Although I'd only see him going in as a 'non-performer' which is fucking bullshit)

The Smiths

And Cliff Richard (circa The Shadows) definately. Fucking amazing.

I'd probably say for Bad Religion to get a look in too.

Edited by YI

I think it's downright criminal that Trent Reznor isn't there.

In fact, any band or artist who came after Trent shouldn't even be considered until he's in. Reznor and Nine Inch Nails are probably the longest running and most relevant current unit in Rock today.

I wouldn't argue an induction for Korn in a decade or so. They've done so much for Rock it's ridiculous, but nowhere near what Trent and his Nails have. Keeping in mind that NIN was relevant before Korn, and arguably is still more relevant today.

3. Korn - This is a band that has caused tons of controversy down here about their inclusion. I'm not sure what the fuss is about, this is a band that has been extremely consistent in their ways. They lost an integral band member and kept on rolling. They still make songs that are incredibly catchy and thought out and still sell as a huge name in the business.

Edit: For a list of past inductions, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_..._Fame_inductees

I think it's downright criminal that Trent Reznor isn't there.

In fact, any band or artist who came after Trent shouldn't even be considered until he's in. Reznor and Nine Inch Nails are probably the longest running and most relevant current unit in Rock today.

I wouldn't argue an induction for Korn in a decade or so. They've done so much for Rock it's ridiculous, but nowhere near what Trent and his Nails have. Keeping in mind that NIN was relevant before Korn, and arguably is still more relevant today.

To be eligible, there must have been 25 years since their first album until their induction. Thus...

Nine Inch Nails aren't eligible to be entered until 2014, and KoRn are eligible until 2019.

My 3 would probably be:

1. Iron Maiden

2. Metallica

3. Status Quo

It brings joy to my heart knowing that the Rock 'N Roll HOF brings such limitations like the absurd "25 year" rule to revolutionary music that should be honored (not just NIN).

Anyway, I digress. Atleast Ministry is up for contention this year, and Skinny Puppy in 2009. Of course, they'll likely never be added to the HOF, but still.

Considering it took them until two years ago to induct BLACK FUCKING SABBATH, I'd like to think it'll be a while before we see Metallica go in, and DEFINITELY a long time before half the names on this list (KoRn, Misfits, NIN, etc.) go in.

Mostly I agree with GoGo, having neither Sister Rosetta or Link Wray in there when they're a HUGE part of the early days of rock and roll is absolutely absurd. Music wouldn't be the way it is today without them, simple as that.

I'd like to see Captain Beefheart go in, but at the end of the day I can't really say that I care too much. Most of the bands in there shouldn't be, in my opinion, and most of the ones that are, so what? It doesn't make them any better, it doesn't suddenly make them more culturally important. It's a nice gesture, but even without the hall of fame there, surely history will do a good enough job of showing which bands were good and important and which weren't.