Your Inductions Into The Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame

LL!

1) Spinal Tap

2) Iron Maiden

3) Spinal Tap

4) Iron Maiden

5) Spinal Tap

6) Iron Maiden

You show me a band that rocks harder than Spinal Tap and I'll show you Iron Maiden

Motorhead.

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with the Link Wray endorsement. I'd consider him a glaring omission considering his contribution to rock and roll.

Alice Cooper also sounds like a good choice, and perhaps Iggy and the Stooges. I don't know though, I've never given it much thought. I did notice that the Ventures are getting in this year, that's nice to see.

Since somebody already brought up the eligibility rules...

http://www.futurerockhall.com/eligibles.php

these are the people who are currently eligible who haven't made it into the hall of fame, and the year that they were first eligibile...

http://www.futurerockhall.com/future_eligibles.php

and this is when some bands will be eligible

Rick James is another one who needs to make it eventually, but probably won't for a very long time.

The "previously considered" list has some intriguing names on it: Afrika Bambaataa, Alice Cooper, Bad Company, Beastie Boys, Bobby Womack, Captain Beefheart, The Cars, Cat Stevens, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Cliff Richard, The Commodores, The Cure, Deep Purple, Dick Dale, Donna Summer, The Doobie Brothers, Genesis, Gram Parsons (with and without the Flying Burrito Brothers), Iron Maiden, Jeff Beck, KISS, The Last Poets, Lou Reed, Love, MC5, New York Dolls, Peter Gabriel, The Replacements, Roxy Music, The Stooges, Teddy Pendergrass, Todd Rundgren, Tom Waits, and Yes, to name a few. Very odd that some of those names haven't gotten the support they needed to get in yet.

And Future Rock Hall also has an interesting note here about "The Rap Question." It raises a good point, that bands like RHCP, Rage, and others would sound remarkably different or not even exist without hip-hop. The Beastie Boys are already eligible, and the likes of Run DMC, Public Enemy, and LL Cool J join them soon.

Edited by Starrsellus Wallace

Christ, how can you have a Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame without The MC5, The New York Dolls, Roxy Music, Captain Beefheart, Deep Purple, The Stooges, Alice Cooper or The Last Poets? Especially considering how many bands that are in there wouldn't sound anything at all like they do without that lot. Aerosmith and no New York Dolls is pitiful. NO rap or hip-hop act should have gone anywhere near the place before the Last Poets. Most of the rest of those I'm not too fussed about, as even though I adore Tom Waits, there are people that should go in before (most notably Beefheart).

It amazes me that people still take the Rock'n'roll hall of fame seriously.

Kind of a good point, as half the time it seems like the whole rationale for inductions is "Hmm, who can we get to play the giant jam concert that will actually kick some kind of ass AND mostly behave themselves?" Those two considerations usually seem mutually exclusive.

I quite like Lemmy's version of The Trooper, although it is pretty dreadful. I'd love to know the logic behind it - Lemmy and Bruce Dickinson are pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum vocally, it was never going to end well. Lyrically it's a good song for Lemmy, military imagery and what-not, that's his thing, but he really should have done a little more with it. It's not his finest hour.

Motörhead rock CONSIDERABLY more than Iron Maiden, though. Not that Maiden are bad, they're just not Motörhead, and you can't blame them for that. Plus, Blaze Bailey was never in Motörhead.

The sad thing is I think that they could really put together an awesome spectacle show for Sister Rosetta Tharpe if they didn't take too long with it. Marie Knight is still alive, and there's always Little Richard, who got one of his first big breaks in the music world from Rosetta. But the longer they take, it just becomes more and more impossible to do anything with it from their standpoint. But it still sickens me a bit that quite possibly the most important woman of all time in terms of the development of rock and roll isn't in and Madonna, meanwhile, is getting in this year, even if the hall of fame is really sort of a joke anyway.

No one ever answered my question about Cliff Richard...

Regarding rappers, I don't think that there are many who should get in that aren't already in. Beastie Boys, definitely, since you can argue they're rock as much as they are rap and are a definite influence regardless. Run-DMC, hell yes. They were the first, or one of the first, rap groups do an actual collaboration with a rock group (Aerosmith) rather than just sample from one and I'm pretty sure Jam Master Jay was an influence on rock groups that use DJs. Public Enemy? *maybe*, since they've been an influence on groups like RATM and teamed up with Anthrax. But I can't think of any other rappers that should be in the hall. As much as I like LL Cool J (as a rapper and an actor - he was awesome in "Toys", for instance), I can't think of a reason he should get in.