Doctor Who

Benji

I too don't get the Rory hate at all. Aside from the great lines, he's just a guy doing his best to get by - and he's doing a damn good job - even though he'd rather be at home with Amy and a stack of DVD's then time travelling and fighting monsters. Skummy pretty much summed him up.

And I think nearly all of the things people dislike about Tenny is down to the writing. He didn't write the Dcotor to be angry or an emo, and he actually did those bits WELL, it's just they're not likeable aspects of The Doctor. In the episodes not written by RTD when those traits get toned down he's generally superb; as he is in the better RTD episodes.

One thing to mention though is that some of the RTD written stuff was good (like Midnight and Stolen Earth) to name but two, and ocasionally I think I miss a bit of the melodrama. Not massively; but I think the Moffat era could do with the odd episode a series with the melodrama ramped up. Sometimes I want something blunt and raw and OTT to come along. I'm getting slightly and as yet ONLY slightly irritated with Moffat telling every bloody story out of order and with 1000 twists a second.

Anyway.

For shits and giggles, my lists:

Tennant > Smith (but this is BLOODY close and I reserve the right to swap them around at any point >_>) > Pertwee > Tom Baker > Davidson > Hartnell > Colin Baker > Ecclestone

And then Troughton, McGann and McCoy who I've not seen. Smith is fantasic and just seems to get better with each and every episode; and he does a terrific job of convincingly portraying a character who is greatly older than him. To try and explain; Tenny DID seem like he was playing the Doctor in his thirties, while Smith feels like a 900+ year old trapped in a younger persons' body and is nailing it.

As for companions; Rose, Amy and Rory are my favourites from New Who. Donna was FAR better than she had any right to be (I still have mates who insist that se was rubbish JUST because she's Catherine Tate; an argument I find pants on head retarded), and Martha was horrifically dull.

Edited by Yoshihiro timmayyama

Since we're listing:

Tennant - Smith - Davidson - Tom Baker - McGann - Pertwee - Troughton - McCoy - Ecclesone - Hartnell - Colon Baker.

And I don't even really dialoke Colon Baker, his run is juat the weekest i feel. Tennant will alway be "My Doctor" the one who I started with, even if I can't stand a lot of RTD's stuff (he wrote one or twobdecwnt episodes but i thi k he's mostly a self congratulating hack). Matt Smith is running his awfulky close though

David Tennnant > Tom Baker > Sylvester McCoy > Matt Smith > Christopher Ecclestone > Peter Davison > Jon Pertwee > Colin Baker > William Hartnell > Patrick Troughton > Paul McGann

Having to list them betrays just how good they all were though. With 11 Doctors, it's phenomenal that I consider 10 of them awesome.

I actually enjoyed that. Not the best episode ever, but hardly crap by any stretch. There's been FAR worse than that since Doctor Who came back (Fear Her for example)

It was filler, thats all I can say to it really. A fairly blah episode dragged out a long time to get to the eventual 'fathers love conquers all' ending, with the fact that its the old unconditional kind meaning that they didn't even need to write in any reason for him to embrace this bizarre alien child he's just found out about. Expected better from Mark Gatiss too.

I thought it was good. Maybe that's just because I enjoyed having an episode which wasn't; how many twists can I do in an episode or how many potential new viewers can I alienate in one sitting? Its not the best of this series, but its up there.

Edit: I should explain that I quite enjoy the odd episode like that, I'm just getting a bored of most of the episodes feeling like they follow this template. It was just a nice change of pace really.

Edited by Vamp

It wasn't bad at all. For a filler episode it was perfectly fine and should have the critters suitably creeped out. There have been lots of worse New Who episodes - not exactly a glowing review of the episode, but it's true.

Alright - so she suckered me into watching, I'm starting on episode 11 of season 1, and I'm actually quite into this. I have a week off before school starts, I'll probably decide to watch what I missed.

(Presuming that you're talking about New Who) You need to go back and watch the episode 'Dalek' at the very least.

Ecclestone is at the bottom of most everyone's list - granted, I've heard that you never forget your first Doctor so perhaps I am looking at this different from a lot of other people, but I really like his characterization. I've heard marvelous things about Tennant but honestly, I am more interested in the new Doctor. Damn this show, it's sucking me in already.

I like Ecclestone also. He had a harder edge to him with the Time War and all, and I liked how he was occasionally "Well my entire race is dead and I killed them, so you know, fuck you and your problems." Just the odd thing that helped give him some distance from humanity as a proper outsider. Tennant did the same sometimes, but he always struck me as being very chummy with the human race in general - possibly to the point where he may as well have just been a super-smart human a lot of the time, rather than actually an alien.

Probably why it was this bit that had me completely sold on Smith for the very first time.

I like Eccleston too, but he is my least favorite of the Doctor's I've seen (only the new one's). He is still very enjoyable though.

Episode this week was a filler, but not terrible.

It's Eccleston, people! No 'e' at the end! Gah!

Anyway, Eccleston is severely underrated, because he was fantastic. Seriously amazing in some episodes (Dalek springs to mind) and the strength of his performance helped carry the show through the revival. I actually stopped watching partway through Series 2 because I just couldn't take to the show without him. Thankfully, I later gave it another try and got to witness the awesome that is Tennant.

I find I can't really compare Eccleston to Tennant or Smith, though, because he was such a different character and the show was just so different in Series 1. For example: there's a point in the penultimate episode of the Ninth Doctor's tenure where he and Jack are being arrested. The guards turn their backs, and the Doctor just looks at Jack and says, "Let's do it," and they hop the guards, trounce them and escape. You'd never get a scene like that with Eleven or especially Ten, whose general pacifism was taken to ridiculous levels at some points. Tennant is probably my favourite just because he was the Doctor for longer and turned in so many incredible performances, but you cant compare his Doctor to Eccleston's Doctor; they might as well have been on two different shows.