The American Wombles

GA!

http://pact.magiclantern.co.uk/BadAssWombles.mov

If they wanted to be ultra-realistic, The Wombles would be made using cutting edge CGI and Great Uncle Bulgaria would be replaced by David Schwimmer.

It does bring up a good point though. British kids TV has been scaled back a fuck-load in the past ten years - with BBC 1 shaving off half an hour either side of the schedule so they can air DIY shows before and The Weakest Link after, and ITV1 cutting it out of their schedules all together. I believe there are the seperate CITV and CBeebies channels - but why would kids want to watch that when there's Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Disney on the same Sky package for example?

Discuss.

It's not just the shuffling them off to Freeview though. I think ITV shut down its in house kids TV production and, well, I dunno about the Beeb. I'd bet they've cut back too.

All Irish kids TV is imported, you don't here us complaining. :shifty:

It's the continuity parts that have gone and were wonderful :(

Edited by HoboObohHbob

Wasn't Dara Ó Briain presenter on an Irish kids TV show?

Yep, Echo Island it was Ireland's attempt at an answer to Blue Peter. From what I remember when he presented it he A) had hair and B) he presented the Irish language version that was on once a week. It was pretty bland show over all. The Den (from whence Zig & Zag and Dustin The Turkey of Irish Eurovision fame came) began was our great kids TV but it was just the continuity between cartoons and still is but the puppets are gone, and it's all sleek and tween orientated. During my days of watching kids TV it's what made The Den better than CBBC or CITV was the fact that there was more to it, because those puppets were (and looking back on some clips on YouTube a while back still are) hilarious and I believe during the Den's heyday it had a big college student following just for the continuity pieces. But in terms of kids programming, it was always mostly English, Australian/Irish and American shows with the odd exception. But aside from the odd thing, the Irish fail at making good TV domestically we just send our people over to work for English stations!

I believe the host had something to do with The Den having a big following as well.

Ray D'Arcy is a hero.

And the fit girl was awesome too.

That would be true.