The older generation

PkmnTrainerJ

There was an advert for Wii Fit on earlier (which I plan to purchase anyways) and both of my parents mentioned they'd like to get it, which I found a bit odd as it's not a game I initially thought they would want to play, but it's easy to control, fun and supposedly makes you fit.

Also, my grandmother bought Phantom Hourglass the other week for her DS and has nearly completed the whole thing. She's usually on it when I see her and we've had a few Mario Kart races and Phantom battles in Phantom Hourglass and she loves it. It was a little wierd at first, but now it's a normal thing to be able to play against my grandparents in video games, either on DS or Wii.

I don't really think I could get my grandparents to play much of a Playstation game though, and barring Crash Of The Titans and Wii Sports (and now Wii Fit) my mother doesn't play many games. I think the last time she was on the PS2 was to play Crash Bandicoot 2...

What about the older people you know? Gamers or not?

My parents, never mind my grandparents, wouldn't be able to turn a computer/console on, let alone play a game on one. :(

I put a Mega Drive controller into my mum's hands once. The year was 1993, and the game Sonic 2.

Emerald Hill Zone boss. She had a shield and many rings. All she had to do was press 'jump' (which, let's remember, is ANY of the three buttons) when I told her to.

She died without scoring a single hit.

Never again.

My dad has been known to play games more often, but only for the sake of playing with us. He's never owned his own console or anything.

Edited by stokeriño

My nan plays a bunch of the PopCap games on the PC. and my dad has dabbled in the EA Sports titles, and we used to play Premier Manager on the Mega Drive. He's got cycling Manager 2007, but he's not played in a while. He has expressed interest in playing Tiger Woods '08 if I can pick it up cheap though.

Also, my mum is a demon on Tetris for the original Game Boy.

We get a few old geezers who come into work and buy games, especially war-based shooters like Call Of Duty or Medal Of Honor....

We also had one guy buy the 747 add on for Flight Sim yesterday...those long retirement hours are needed to complete a long haul flight in that game...

I showed my dad Super Smash Bros. Brawl a few weeks ago... been trying to get him to play against me on it again ever since, because he picked it up really fast and absolutely demolished me with Ike once he got the controls down. He seems to like the characters who have swords, too... we played a few matches and he went Link->Ike->Marth. I was going easy on him in the beginning to let him learn but once I'd realized he didn't need me to hold back I actually started playing normally and he did really well.

So yeah, that was surprising, but not overly surprising. I grew up playing the original NES with my dad, he and I played tons of games together on that thing when I was younger, so he's had experience with video games in the past.

My mom just likes to watch the game, herself, though both her and dad absolutely loved bowling on Wii Sports, since they both used to be professional bowlers and wound up having to stop because of injuries they'd had acting up when they played. Honestly it's because of that that I was incredibly happy to see them playing bowling on the Wii, probably was a nice little step back for them, since that was something I remember them doing every week as a child, considering I'd be going to the alleys with them.

My aunt has a Wii too, she plays Sports and Wii Fit and all that. Dunno if my uncle plays it too, but I know she does.

Other then them though, not many others in my family that I know of that play games too. And if they do, I can promise you now it's nearly 100% going to be a game on a Nintendo console :P

When we got our first SNES my parents played Super Mario Brothers 3 and Goof Troop. We'd rent Goof Troop from a local store and I'd play it with my mom when she had free time. She doesn't care much for gaming now, fancies herself as always being too busy to play anything.

Whats funny is my mom refuses to play games, ever since the early 80s when she couldn't get past the first leap over a hole in Mario Brothers.

My mom gave up under similiar circumstances. When she couldn't get past the first level of the Jungle Book game on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis it was all over.

My nan used to play on my old Amstrad when I was a kid. I thought I was good on the Olympics game I had (waggling the joystick to make the cyclist sprint around the track) but my nan showed me how a true pro did it.

That reminds me of how I used to think I was ace at Track & Field on PS1, until my dad played and shattered all the world records.

When I bring my Wii back home to my parents they enjoy playing Warioware mostly. My Mum loves Sonic, even though she hasn't played it since the first game, but always asks me if I'm going to buy the latest Sonic game (No, they're shit).

My parents also have one of those plug in and play things of Space Invaders. I rock at that game.

My nan used to play on my old Amstrad when I was a kid. I thought I was good on the Olympics game I had (waggling the joystick to make the cyclist sprint around the track) but my nan showed me how a true pro did it.

That reminds me of how I used to think I was ace at Track & Field on PS1, until my dad played and shattered all the world records.

Heh, I ruined lives on that. My mate got it pirated and was bleating on about it for a week or so, and he was all "yeah, I'll let you play, but I warn you now, you won't beat my records." Half an hour later, he was fighting back tears as I did an impromptu victory dance >_>

but yeah, no one beats me on Olympic games, ever. Ask AD.

My dad used to beat me at racing games when I was a kid. Not anymore. And he still talks shit about beating me at a boxing game ONCE, because I went headhunting, and he worked the body and took me out. Never happened again, though.

I'm starting to worry about my brother though, he's getting to the point where I have to work to beat him at games :P

My Dad has played a handful of games against me (We had an epic boxing match once) and is usually pretty good. My Mom just recently bought a PS2 and Tiger Woods. I beat her, but she'll be better at it than me eventually if she keeps playing.

Oh, and my sister always beats me at Football games. I don't know why, but she does.

Quite a few people in my family play games when I think about it.

When I was a kid my mother played a lot of games, A LOT. She was a pro at Castlevania and the Mario games, and beat Mega Man 2 on her own first try. And other various stuff, especially Tetris. She's also a big reason I started playing RPGs and adventure games since the original Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Zelda, etc. all interested her. She also played a fair bit when got our SNES, but mostly just Mario World, All Stars and Tetris 2. But after that she hasn't touched a game since for some reason.

She did enjoy watching me play certain games as I got older. Primarily Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy VII and the GTA games come to mind.

My father only occasionally once every few months touched the SNES, namely when he rented Super Battle Tank or the Strike games. Mostly to relive his army days or some shit.

My uncles also played a fair bit, especially my favourite uncle. He had just about everything that came out, but that too kind of trailed off. I remember the Christmas my Grandma got them both PS2's and Vice City, to never really be used at all.

Thinking of it though, my Grandma even had an NES, which she mostly played Tetris on. She also had a Playstation before anyone else in the family, and I have no idea why. I don't recall her ever using it.

My one sister, brother-in-law and kids all generally have played games. My sister mostly sticks to old classics like Pac-man, or otherwise plays "simpler" games like tennis stuff or platform titles. My brother in law plays sports stuff and especially racing games, while my nephews play just about anything you'd expect (Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Fight Night, etc.). My niece doesn't seem to care, but likes random Nintendo stuff.

But none of them compare to me and my girlfriend though, but a fair few of them do or have played games before.