The Summer Transfer Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Spurs have apparently allowed Cerny's loan to expire and QPR have now signed him. Stalteri has also made his loan to Fulham permanent, provided they stay in the PL. We supposedly are in for Veloso, Michael Johnson, Stekelenberg, Gattuso, M'bami, Fornaroli, & Diego Capel, amongst others.

Watford have released Jordan Stewart, Derby are expected to make a move for him and Nathan Ellington.

You must be amazing at negotiating, Sum. What do you expect him to say? "Yes, Barry's a player we're extremely interested in. I'd value him at at least £20million. Crouch? He can go if he wants, £6million should do."

I just expect more from Liverpool than unsettling a club's captain 2 games before the end of the season.

Making a public bid two games before the end of the season isn't something to shrug off. Barry admitted it effected his performance.

If he wants to go to Liverpool, fine. He can go, but this public shit could have ruined our season.

Stated that he and O'Neill will talk in the summer, but Liverpool made the bid public from the get-go.

The club itself never came out and said "We have made an offer for Barry" until the majority of the national press had started leading with it on a daily basis. From that point on your manager has spoken about it as much as ours and kept it in the public eye, so perhaps he is as much to blame as us?

A bid will always get out to the press. I find it distasteful that Liverpool have did it two games before the end of the season as well, especially when we're hoping for a European spot. I think it was did in a bad way. Obviously Liverpool would follow up their interest. If they're going for him then by all means put in a fair bid after the season.

You're allowed to bid for players during the season, and it's Rafa's job to look out for our interests, not Aston Villa's. We've missed out on a number of players because we've failed to act quickly enough, and if Chelsea/Arsenal are interested in Barry as well then it makes sense to make a bid as early as possible.

From what papers are reporting, Barry could go to Liverpool with Carson going the other way. Liverpool will probably pay a few million as well to sort out the deal.

Would be a good idea, Carson's been a solid goalkeeper for Villa and a hot prospect for the future. I don't really see Barry having many more seasons left in him so he might want to have a change for a few seasons, or at least until Liverpool decide they don't want him anymore

Sammy Lee to Liverpool as new assistant manager next season, what do Liverpool fans think about that? Alex Miller is off to Japan apparently.

Liverpool also reject a 25 million pound bid for Gerrard from Inter Milan? Interesting. Like to know if that's true. Liverpool would never sell him, till must have been a tempting offer?

David Bentley to Spurs? 15 mill. I wouldn't personally like to see that, unless Lennon moves. Arguably the two that will be battling out for an England spot down the right along with Wright-Phillips? I can see Bentley leaving, just not joining Spurs.

Villa, Everton and Boro all chase Steve Sidwell. 2 million valuation, i'd snap Sidwell up for 2 million, like to see him join Villa out of the three clubs apparently interested.

Zidane, Ince and Dowie all linked with QPR job. Zinedine f'n Zidane, they've said it's not true but how the hell did he get involved in these rumors. God, give him the job, Zidane at Portman Road next year, highlight more then likely.

Edited by new_era

Sammy Lee to Liverpool as new assistant manager next season, what do Liverpool fans think about that? Alex Miller is off to Japan apparently.

Surprised it's taken this long to come out in the press, apparantly he would've joined us much earlier in the year except for his contract with Bolton not allowing it.

Would be a good appointment though. By all accounts him and Rafa get on, he's got plenty of experience at this level (playing and coaching) and was highly respected by the players when he was last with us (and England). Deserved better than he got at Bolton.

Liverpool also reject a 25 million pound bid for Gerrard from Inter Milan? Interesting. Like to know if that's true. Liverpool would never sell him, till must have been a tempting offer?

No chance for £25million. Double that and I think we'd be tempted, but that takes the piss.

Edited by therockbox

You're allowed to bid for players during the season, and it's Rafa's job to look out for our interests, not Aston Villa's. We've missed out on a number of players because we've failed to act quickly enough, and if Chelsea/Arsenal are interested in Barry as well then it makes sense to make a bid as early as possible.

Yes you are allowed but the fact was it was did in spite when we had two important games to play, unsettling our most important player. Even Benetiz said it today in the papers he would be respectful and leave it till after the season.

It wasn't done in spite at all, it was done because we want to get a deal done as soon as possible for a player that's also being looked at by Arsenal and Chelsea.

It just seems like a very convenient excuse for O'Neill's failure to motivate your players sufficiently for a home game against Wigan.