The Summer Transfer Thread

And in the news for Ace department, Higginbotham back to Stoke.

Also, in non transfer news, SSN are saying that Police are investigating Mike Ashley for downing that pint because alcohol is illegal inside the stadium. :D

In the 'better late than never' department, the main BBC sport page says that Man City bidding for Berba is 'breaking news'. >_<

Edited by King eLLis

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said maybe.

And Higginbotham to Stoke is kinda surprising as he's been alright for us, but I guess with Ferdinand's arrival and perhaps the imminent arrival of a left back then he's going to see less time as Collins will be ahead of him in the order.

Still, he done well while he was here and I'll remember him for his fantastic headed goal last season and I hope he does well back at Stoke. Grateful for his services, not a bad word to say about him really other than if we're looking to improve as much as everyone involved with the club hopes - then he's probably not going to be at that level. He'll be good back at Stoke though.

- He's coming back from injury and won't be straight back to the top of his game for a while.

Yes, because injured players all come back far too early.. and don't have the best medical care and rehab money can buy, right?

- The team shouldn't have to rely on one player who may not even live up to what he achieved last year.

So you're advocating bringing in a front man to "rely" on... yet we can't rely on Ronaldo? Also, I was unaware that he played in all 11 positions on the park last season. Some defensive record that boy has.

- Ronaldo's most likely leaving next year, so it'd be nice to find a top striker who can come in and fit in to united for a year and get used to the way we play.

Carlos Tevez, Fernando Torres, Dimitar Berbatov. All players who didn't take time to settle into a club. You do not need an entire season to settle in somewhere. Particularly if you are of the quality that you are talking about.

- Even though Ronaldo scores lots of goals we lack the poacher aka Ruud role and even though we won the league and champ leauge last summer we still lacked pentration at certain times.

No. We don't. Seriously, go back and look at his goals last season. He scored the "scarppy" goals, that apparently we don't get. Of course we lacked penetration at times... every team lacks everything at times. It's not possible to be perfect 100% of the time. Funnily enough, we won the Premier League and Champions League. We didn't lack anything.

- Surely you want to improve on your squad? And with Chelsea and liverpool both significantly improving theirs, obviously united should be looking at doing the same.

Not once have I said I wouldn't like to see us improve the squad. What I said, was that it wouldn't be the end of the world, as some people seem to be making it out to be, if we didn't.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Quoting like that is seriously annoying. Want me to pick apart your points? I won't.

What I will say is that I personally would like united to sign a striker because of what I said and that it will help the team. Obviously you don't agree, fine, end of.

Transfer news has been pretty quiet recently. Apparently a few rumours are veronin to Newcastle and Ashton to Villa...Neither of which I really see happening.

Edited by Ignition

I must say, I love the fact that Man City have gone in for Berba. Man United have pissed about for the most part, seemed to have put all thier eggs in one basket somewhat, and look like they may come up with nowt.

I quite like City, so don't feel too bad to see them getting the huge investment.

And entering the current argument, I do think Man United could do with an out and out goalscorer. Sure, Ronaldo did score a hell of a lot of goals, but Tevez and Rooney, although goalscorers, won't be able to pick up that slack if something happens to Ronaldo. Buy a front man who can bang in 20+ and drop Ronaldo back into midfield and pushing forward, and if anything happens injury wise, Ronaldo and a formation shift is the way to resolve that issue.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Quoting like that is seriously annoying. Want me to pick apart your points? I won't.

What I will say is that I personally would like united to sign a striker because of what I said and that it will help the team. Obviously you don't agree, fine, end of.

Transfer news has been pretty quiet recently. Apparently a few rumours are veronin to Newcastle and Ashton to Villa...Neither of which I really see happening.

Hey now... you gave a list. I replied to it. Breaking it up was the easiest way to do so. Excuse me for producing a well constructed argument.

When you have you panties unbunched to the extent that you can read my comments, note that I still haven't said that a new centre forward wouldn't benefit the team.

In other news, anyone hear that United fan's e-mail just get read out on SSN? "I hope Fergie is sacked by January".

I laughed.

Edit - Ahaahha. Berbatov is in a car with Fergie on the way to Carrington. According to SSN.

Gotta love Fergie.

:o They say Berba is in a car with Fergie on route to Man Yoo's training ground.

I was hoping for some Hollywood style scene with a helicopter tailing Berba's car as it approaches a fork in the road, the left turn heads to City of Manchester Stadium, the right turn to Old Trafford. Suspensful music plays in the background as he ponders which way to turn, millions tuned in on live TV biting their nails as he decides his fate.

The whole "we need a striker or we'll be shit" is definately an overreation, we do have a quality side, with the best defence in the premiership and some great attacking players as well and that email to SSN is absolutely absurd. I really want a striker but Fergie is quality and is normally spot on in the transfer market (ignore a few goalkeeping laps and the kleberson affair), and if he doesn't sign Berbatov it'll be because he's basically not worth that much money.

I still hope we can bring someone in though of good quality who can play upfront, as said though, if not then it's not the end of the world.

EDIT: Woooop come on Fergie! Don't let him out!

Edited by Ignition

At a guess, if there are two offers, in the same city, surely Berba would be going to scope out both potential contract offers? It seems to me that he would go and see both Fergie and Hughes, probably.

I'd be inclined to agree with you. But Fergie does have the reputation for being that persuasive with players. Look at Van Nistelrooy, Hargreaves and Rooney. All of them gave Fergie as the principal reason behind their transfers.

I also just resorted to emailing SSN in response to that guy calling for Fergie's head. I hope they read it out.