Donnie Darko 2?

PkmnTrainerJ

A sequel to Richard Kelly's cult hit Donnie Darko will begin shooting this month, Screen Daily reports.

Titled S. Darko, the film takes place eight years after the events of the first film and follows Samantha Darko (Daviegh Chase), the younger sister of the first movie's lead character, as she travels across America with her best friend Corey. On the road trip the pair start to witness strange visions.

Chris Fisher (Nightstalker) will direct the film. Kelly, who wrote and directed 2001's Donnie Darko, is not involved in the sequel.

"I am a great admirer of Richard Kelly's film and hope to create a similar world of blurred fantasy and reality," said Fisher.

Donnie Darko starred Jake Gyllenhaal as a teenager who, after a near death experience, is told by a giant bunny that the world will end in 28 days.

Fisher added: "Donnie's not in [the new film] but there are meteorites and rabbits."

S. Darko begins production on May 18. Fox has already secured North American distribution rights for the film.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a95569/...-the-works.html

Why do Hollywood want to give everything a sequel?

Didnt like the first one, so I cant see a sequal being made when it doesnt need to be made being any good whatsoever.

I think you got the whole Donnie Darko like dialogue down. :shifty:

The original is one of the most overrated films of the current decade. Which isn't to say that I disliked it, because I actually didn't mind it at all, but Jesus. It does not need a sequel, especially if Richard Kelly has nothing to do with it. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

I always said to myself that if they made a sequel I wouldn't watch it. But chances are, I'll go see it just so I can hate it. I'm using the same logic as the reason I'm seeing the remake of 'The Birds' next year.

And for the record, I loved Donnie Darko the two times I have seen it. I haven't watched it since my birthday in October 2004 though so my opinion may be different now. I should watch it again sometime...

[insert any words here, it'll make more sense than the sentence above it]

[insert any words here, it'll have more of a point than the sentence above it]

Not sure how it doesnt make sense. I thought Donnie Darko was horrible, and think that a sequal being made to the movie most likely wouldnt be too great either, especially when a sequal doesnt need to be made considering the first one didn't really leave off on any sort of cliffhanger or anything (that I can remember at least).

Screen Daily reports that UK-based sales company Velvet Octopus will be launching sales in Cannes for S. Darko, billed as the sequel to the 2001 cult hit Donnie Darko. Fox has already taken North American rights for the $10 million-budgeted film.

Chris Fisher, who previously made Nightstalker and Rampage: The Hillside Strangler Murders, will direct.

Daviegh Chase reprises her role as Donnie's younger sister. The cast for S. Darko also includes Ed Westwick (Son of Rambow, Gossip Girl), Briana Evigan (Step Up 2: The Streets) and Justin Chatwin (Dragonball).

The story picks up seven years after the first film when little sister Samantha Darko and her best friend Corey are now 18 and on a roadtrip to Los Angeles when they are plagued by bizarre visions.

Producers have spoken to Richard Kelly about the project but he is not involved in any official capacity at this stage.

Wow. What the fuck. I can't even begin to describe what I'm thinking. This is beyond retarded. For me, Southland Tales was basically Donnie Darko v2 anyway. :shifty: