Artists/Bands that you got in to a bit late

PkmnTrainerJ

Any bands or artists that have been playing for ages, but you never really listened to/heard of until recently?

For me, it's Jason Mraz, who has been singing since 1999, but I only got in to him after hearing "Did You Get My Message?" on a store's music system near the middle of last year and Googling the lyrics. Now I have his discography and love it. I'm particularly addicted to "Too Much Food" and "Geek In The Pink".

I went out and got his new album today, so in the disc drive it goes now. (Y)

Foreigner. :shifty:

I knew of "Waiting For A Girl Like You" from Vice City, recognized "Hot Blooded" too, and knew of "I Want To Know What Love Is", which I managed to catch on the music channels the other week. But I didn't realise that "Cold As Ice" was originally theirs, I thought it was one of those rap songs that other rappers rip off so much that they all made it kinda thing. I downloaded a couple of tunes, then a couple more, including "Juke Box Hero" because I heard it was on Rock Band (even though its not here yet), and my god, I wish it was on Guitar Hero, y'know, before Neversoft raped it from behind. Maybe the hot weather has made me wanna listen to easier music, or something, but still.

So yeah, Foreigner. Not gay, I swear.

Also, even though I've had them in my playlist for ages, Queens of the Stone Age, but I recently heard "Make It Wit Chu" for the first time, so I've got in a bit of a QOTSA kick. Plus I can't quite decide if Josh Homme is a cock, or cool. Maybe he has the rare ability to posses both qualities.

Neutral Milk Hotel.

I only started listening to them a few months ago, and DAMN are they a great band.

Jason Mraz is another one. I didn't hear him until his first major label debut which I picked up, then thought nothing of him again until about 4 months ago when I heard he'd have a new one coming out so I listened to more of his stuff and found he's actually very good.

Muse. I didn't start until right when Black Holes and Revelations came out and now Absolution is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Theres a lot more that I simply can't think of right now too, but theres quite a few of these bands that I've grown to love a WHILE after they came out.

edit: shit I can't believe i forgot about Bright Eyes. I didn't hear them until Cassadega and since then I've gotten every album after LIFTED and they're my 2nd favorite band (behind Radiohead)

Edited by Tarheels.

Nine Inch Nails. I've never been a fan, never really seen why so many people are. I bought the Downward Spiral because someone I used to work with told me it was awesome and I didn't like it much. There were a few songs I thought were ok, but just in the last few weeks I've become a NIN fan. The Fragile is a wonderful album, And All That Could Have Been is a great live album, and Downward Spiral is pretty good now that I've gone and listened to it again.

And this is off topic, but Keith's sig made me lol.

Err... most of my favourite bands?

For instance, my top three bands:

I got into Iron Maiden around 1994. That was 14 years after their debut album. I got into Judas Priest something like 1997 and that was 24 years after their debut. Savatage came maybe 1999. Over 15 years late, and only two years before their final album (don't think they'll be recording anymore).

Don't even get me started on Led Zep, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Uriah Heep and such...

To be fair, it doesn't really count if you were not born/four years old when they were most popular :P

I think the only bands that've been around for ages, during my actual music-purchasing-lifetime (¬_¬), that I didn't get into until it was 'too late' were Pantera and Anthrax.

I guess Disturbed kinda count. I didn't get into them until 2006.

And to think, I misread the title of this thread as basically meaning "bands you've started listening to lately".

But anyway, along with the aforementioned Foreigner ( :shifty: ) and QOTSA, the main band I started listening to a bit late is Soundgarden. I must say they're now probably may favourite band. It's true I was only 5 when Superunknown came out, but still. I heard 'Rusty Cage' on San Andreas and liked the song, but didn't download/get it until like 3 years after the game came out, and also stumbled across 'Black Hole Sun' several months after the game came out on a music channel, recognizing the band name, thinking that that was a pretty decent song too, not getting that until several months later again.

After getting more random tracks over the ensueing year or so, I finally got Superunknown before I went on holiday last year, and well, that hooked me.

Honestly, rock as a whole.

Growing up, I was only exposed to country music. That changed when I was about 10 or 11, and I got turned on to hip-hop, or, more accurately, gangsta rap. Strange transition, but it was probably that world shattering change that hooked me. Then, up until after my senior year of HS, I was completely and utterly a 'rap guy'. I even actively disliked rock music, despite never listening to it.

Then, hanging out with some friends, on a trip to Mexico, they started listening to Rammstein, and *bam*, it hit me. That shit was really good. Since then, I've done an almost complete change in terms of musical taste, where I'd rather listen to almost any style of rock over current, mainstream, rap/hip-hop. I'm not much more of a 'punk guy' than I ever was a 'rap guy'.

Wayne County and the Electric Chairs is a recent one, they were around in the late 70s. I'm surprised that I didn't find them when I first started getting into the 77 style punk.

Amebix and Anti-Cimex are two I should have checked out seeing as I had seen their names pop up often.

Blue Cheer? Where the fuck was I and why did I first hear about them only two years ago? One of the best shows I've seen for the record. From the same era, Arthur Brown, "Crazy World of Arthur Brown" is among my favorite albums of all-time.

Morrissey I only got into in the past couple of years.

Other than that, probably Audioslave in the same way Benji did. Heard Cochise and saw it around but wasn't a big fan until I heard 'Be Yourself'.

I'm somewhat similar to DMN. I grew up on soft rock mostly, with a little country and 80s pop thrown in. Then I was 11 or 12 and switched to almost nothing but rap.

In the past couple of years, I've opened up from rap and now can't stand it for the most part. Whatever little I can stand, I only got into a few years ago: Nas and Wu Tang mostly. I listen to a lot of trance/progressive now. And I've gotten into classic rock. So stuff like Zeppelin, The Doors, Hendrix, Pink Floyd.

I've only just started listening to Breaking Benjamin.

I mean I'd heard of them, and I had one of their songs ("Firefly")

But I've only just started listening to the properly.