Opinionated Compilation Of 100 Bands

Jook

Guest MuRd0K

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Radiohead > Metallica? You're kidding right? I hope so.

HAH!

Well, I'm happy with the number one. I would have wished for Alice In Chains, SoundGarden and Audioslave to be up higher but when we have our little Metallica fans, then it's not a happy ending.

I mean, hell, The cure should have been on the top 10, what the fuck is System of a down doing above them?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PunkRockPete... this is a list voted for people, not by experts, not by rockers, not by musicians, by people, and the fact that nobody is into music like you do doesn't mean you can go ahead and bash them.

... you have to be kidding me. The fact of the matter is a lot of the bands are only on that list because of timing. Hell, in twenty years we will have forgot Foo Fighters, Slipknot, System of a Down.

Doesn't it speak volumes when a band's like the Doors who are still relevant despite the fact they haven't put out a record in a couple of decades? Whereas Slipknot is basically old news, with the kids who were wearing Slipknot shirts have hung them in their closet and suddenly gotten out skateboards and Good Charlotte shirts?

Heck, I love a band like Rancid, but they do not belong on a top hundred list, in any way shape or form. They haven't done anything to deserve a spot in the top hundred. What has Slipknot done to deserve a spot in the top hundred? Nothing! Absolutely nothing.

Lets add to the fact, as someone has already said, they was clearly a shunning of rap and hip hop music.

Maybe someone should try to make a couple of lists. One for the 60's, one for the 70's, one for the 80's, one for the 90's and one for the 00's. Makes more sense, because than you wouldn't have kids voting for bands that have only been around for the last two years.

Maybe someone should try to make a couple of lists. One for the 60's, one for the 70's, one for the 80's, one for the 90's and one for the 00's. Makes more sense, because than you wouldn't have kids voting for bands that have only been around for the last two years.

That's a great idea. But I don't think enough people know 100 bands from the 60s, 70s and MAYBE even the 80s.

Maybe if it was a Top 20 or something. But a Top 100 for those time periods would be stretching it.

At least separate lists could leave out all the children who don't know Jimi Hendrix from Jimmy Fallon.

I have no further words, as many of them would be profanity, anyway. I do appreciate Jook's effort in compiling the list and adding the images to make them look nice, but the voting sample was...um...somewhat flawed.

(Whew, no profanity.)

Oh well. The difference between Radiohead and Metallica is that while both of them have been struggling for the past several years, at least Radiohead has released something good in the past decade. I don't really agree with most of this list, but it doesn't make sense to expect more out of a popularity contest.

Guest Angry Baboon

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

TAKE THAT METALLERS! EWB HAS SPOKEN! ORIGINALITY AND INNOVATION PREVAILS OVER CRAPPY OLD FARTS ON A SLIPPERY SLOPE!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

This is what you get.

When you mess.

With us.

TAKE THAT!

REWIND IT BACK!

*Gloats*

Guest Angry Baboon

You want Led Zeppelin to be number one and you spell their name like an Amateur Plant n Page noob that's been listening to them for five minutes and suddenly decided that they're the greatness band in the world on the sole basis of the Stairway to Heaven solo.

BAM.

Well, we all have our own REAL top five in my opinion (no matter how insufferably new agey that sounds). I suppose I'll post mine.

GoGo's Top Five Bands (Judged by talent and impact.)

1. The Beatles

2. Led Zeppelin

3. The Pixies

4. Black Sabbath

5. The Clash

Edited by GoGo Yubari

You want Led Zeppelin to be number one and you spell their name like an Amateur Plant n Page noob that's been listening to them for five minutes and suddenly decided that they're the greatness band in the world on the sole basis of the Stairway to Heaven solo.

BAM.

No, in fact, I don't even like them. I mis-spelled their name, sorry Mr. Elitist Music Fuck.

I put them there based on the fact that though I do not personally like them, I can recognize the quality of the music they put out, as well as the influence they have had on other bands.

You want my PERSONAL top 5?

1. Lynyrd Skynyrd

2. Slayer

3. KoRn

4. The Misfits

5. DI

So.. yeah... fuck you Mr. Elitist Music Fuck.

Oh well. The difference between Radiohead and Metallica is that while both of them have been struggling for the past several years, at least Radiohead has released something good in the past decade. I don't really agree with most of this list, but it doesn't make sense to expect more out of a popularity contest.

I don't think Radiohead have struggled in the past few years at all. There last album was my 2nd favourite Radiohead album...

I think the difference between Metallica and Radiohead is that Metallica was, at one time the biggest band in the world, and is still the most recognizable name in 'metal'. I don't think Radiohead has ever been the biggest band in the world.

I would also say that Metallica was/is a more influential band.

I've always found Metallica to be painfully average, I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I like Slayer, Pantera and even some Megadeth but Metallica have gone right over my head. Sure, I don't mind Puppets, their stuff is listenable, but a lot of people see them as these all time greats and I personally have never got into their stuff.

My top 5 would have been (note on influence not personal taste, although I like all of them to an extent)

1. The Beatles - Great pop band. Changed music. "Broke" America.

2. The Rolling Stones - Had the same impact on rock the Beatles had on pop.

3. If solo artists count - Stevie Wonder. Absolutely fantastic songwriter. No one better.

4. Grateful Dead - Gave birth to jam bands like Phish, awesome album art.

5. Run DMC - Just for the effect they had on Rap, and helping to breakdown genre boundaries between rap and rock.

On personal taste, changes somewhat regularly:

1. Nine Inch Nails

2. Aphex Twin

3. Red Hot Chili Peppers (pre Californiacation, the funk years basically, especially before Slovak died)

4. Pantera (post Cowboys from Hell)

5. Stevie Wonder

Honourable mentions to De La Soul, Bjork, Squarepusher, Meshuggah, Earth Wind and Fire, Bon Jovi (!), Fugazi, Tool and The Misfits who have all in some way changed the way I look at different styles of music.

There are plenty of other newer bands, but I don't think they've done enough to be on the all time top 5.

1. Nine Inch Nails

2. Aphex Twin

3. Red Hot Chili Peppers (pre Californiacation, the funk years basically, especially before Slovak died)

4. Pantera (post Cowboys from Hell)

5. Stevie Wonder

fineintent has gained 1,000,000 points of overness from this post.

Yeah well, Pretty Hate Machine is like the greatest album ever made in my opinion. Even the stuff Reznor remixes is gold, especially his version of 'Judith' by A Perfect Circle.

While I'm on it, other honourable mentions go to A Tribe Called Quest, Smashing Pumpkins, Rammstein, Kraftwerk, DJ Shadow and the Lemonheads.

Jesus, its amazing the random stages of listening to music you can go through. That's why top 100 lists either here on in magazines like Q are just exercises in futility. Everybody has their favourites, most of the stuff I listen to may sound like shit to someone else and vice versa. There is so much variety of good music, a top 100 would never cover it. Still, I can think of worse artists than Radiohead to win - I'm a proud owner of OK Computer and The Bends, pretty decent stuff.