Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

Rafael can not defend. That's coming from a United fan, he's not one for the future if he's going to be a defender who can't defend. Mind you the man he replaced can't fucking defend either :angry:

Oh and Anderson = World Footballer Of The Year 2011 (Y)

Don't agree with that at all, as somebody else said. You've seen him play three times? And you can say he's basically shit defensively? The guys majorly young and we looked ten times better when he came on. I'm not all over him because he scored one great goal, I've been all over the guy since I heard about him, because he has got fantastic potential. Him and his brother are do have potential to be fantastic, heck, this guy already looks fantastic. Sure, you could point out some flaws in his game, but what fucking footballer of that age couldn't you? The guys played about two games in the league and he's looked really good, why wouldn't people be hyped up about him? He's not the most amazing defender, nobody ever claimed him to be though. He is decent in defense though, well really good for his age and going forward he looks brilliant, just something different to add to United's game. Clearly he is 'one for the future', because Ferguson is majorly high on him right now and this is the guy he sees as Neville's replacement, simple as that. I think he's just got tonnes of potential and can only improve majorly. I feel he's a great addition to the back, with Vidic and Ferdinand as a rock partnership and he and Evra being brilliant at providing for the attack at times.

Danny Simpson > Rafael

Oh so true.

Anyway, I've seen him play for the reserves a few times and I'll admit that he looked good. I'm not going to keep repeating myself but I just don't think people should hype him up too much. In my opinion he's not looked brilliant in the three competitive games so I'll leave it at that.

Nasri is an awesome player, but I can't help hating his stupid ugly face. :angry:

Arsenal really frustrated Utd in the way that a team lower in the league would. The difference being is that they can really punish on the counter and they threatened to all game. Rafael played brilliantly in the time he spent on the pitch. With a left foot like that, perhaps he should be taking over from Giggs on the left wing <_<

I must say, I think Webb did a great job of refereeing the game. He got just about every decision spot on, barring Michael Carrick's yellow card. Cause he had every right to attack the loose ball.

Nasri is an awesome player, but I can't help hating his stupid ugly face. :angry:

Arsenal really frustrated Utd in the way that a team lower in the league would. The difference being is that they can really punish on the counter and they threatened to all game. Rafael played brilliantly in the time he spent on the pitch. With a left foot like that, perhaps he should be taking over from Giggs on the left wing <_<

I must say, I think Webb did a great job of refereeing the game. He got just about every decision spot on, barring Michael Carrick's yellow card. Cause he had every right to attack the loose ball.

I agree that he might be able to take a LW spot, but it wouldn't be over Giggs as he hasn't really played there in ages. He's more of a CM now. The problem with Rafael getting a spot on the left is that we have Nani, Park, Ronaldo, Rooney, O'Shea, Fletcher, Hargreaves etc. who all either play left mid or wander there at some point during games.

That's why I said Rafael really needs to improve on his defending if he's going to stay at United for a long period of time, because as good as he is going forward, RB is the only position I see him playing by working his way into the first team.

Huh? Missed two blatant penalties (one at each end), didn't send off/book Carrick for hacking down Diaby when he was through on goal and booked Carrick for a perfectly fair tackle. Webb was atrocious.

Huh? Missed two blatant penalties (one at each end), didn't send off/book Carrick for hacking down Diaby when he was through on goal and booked Carrick for a perfectly fair tackle. Webb was atrocious.

The handball was pretty bad but to be fair, the assistant should've seen it more than the referee. The Carrick decisions were both wrong but I think he felt obliged to give something because of how badly Almunia was hurt. And I can't really remember an appeal for an Arsenal penalty? Was it where Nasri went down or something like that?

He didn't "do a great job" but he wasn't "atrocious" either.

Oh and I forgot:

1) Bent just scored 1-1, Citeh down to 10 men.

2) Robinson's momentum was such that he'd probably never have got to the ball but he still should've tried rather than appealing for... well I'm not sure what.

And with that Andy Johnson puts Fulham 1-0 up against Newcastle

Unsurprisingly I had a bad feeling about this match earlier on, it looks like an easy game on paper yet it's an away game... in the pouring rain.. against a team that can't be written off. At least there's still plenty of time left to prove me wrong

C'mon Villa, nick a goal and then all the results will be going my way :D

Edit: Citeh down to 9 - Dunne sent off for denying Bent a goal scoring opportunity.

Edit: Ah bollocks, Villa losing.

Edited by - Matt -

City down to 9 men now

Spurs down to 10 too... Not sure who was sent off though because I switched over for about 10 seconds... Process of elimination is telling me Assou-Ekotto because I haven't heard his name mentioned,