Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

What is everyone's opinion on Giggs over the last year or so? He seems really slow, not in pace, but he spots passes too late and often gets caught in possession when playing in the centre. I know he's been at the club for 16 years or how ever long it is now but I get the feeling that Fergie is just playing him out of sentiment and that's not right.

My feelings regarding the Newcastle match can be summed up accurately in the following MSN conversation. I'm Ross in said conversation, in case it wasn't entirely obvious.

Ross says:

i never got the full tale, but i was informed of it, as i was their taxi service last night.

Ross says:

it paid my pint and pork scratchings round the farm earlier.

chrissy... says:

LOL, why you been to the farm

Ross says:

match.

Ross says:

which can be summed up in two words.

Ross says:

lol, cacapa.

chrissy... says:

he is awful

"farm" = Local pub, it's the next street down from me, about 20 yards away, and is a rarity in that it actually does a decent pint of Carling.

Yeah, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Keane will always just be a cog in the Liverpool machine.

Awww bless, Pesci's holding a grudge.

On the positive side though, Darren Bent's doing alright huh.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I think the 'cog' argument is more the fact that he was a real hero at Spurs, one of the most popular players of all time. I can't see him being that for Liverpool, especially with the likes of Gerrard and Torres in the current set-up. A good player most likely but as popular as he was at Spurs? I don't think so.

My feelings regarding the Newcastle match can be summed up accurately in the following MSN conversation. I'm Ross in said conversation, in case it wasn't entirely obvious.

Ross says:

i never got the full tale, but i was informed of it, as i was their taxi service last night.

Ross says:

chrissy... says:

Ross says:

match.

Ross says:

Ross says:

lol, cacapa.

chrissy... says:

he is awful

"farm" = Local pub, it's the next street down from me, about 20 yards away, and is a rarity in that it actually does a decent pint of Carling.

I must say I was really pleased with the 3 points, which from most of the reports, sounded like we just about deserved. Similar to another poster, I had bad feelings coming into the game, and probably would have settled for a point, but to get 3 is excellent.

Next, Spurs at home >_>

I think the 'cog' argument is more the fact that he was a real hero at Spurs, one of the most popular players of all time. I can't see him being that for Liverpool, especially with the likes of Gerrard and Torres in the current set-up. A good player most likely but as popular as he was at Spurs? I don't think so.

Exactly this.

He doesn't stop being a great player over night just cos he left us. However whether he was our best player or not, he was the most popular. I think it's the worst I've ever felt about a player leaving Tottenham.

Ross says:

Ross says:

chrissy... says:

Ross says:

match.

Ross says:

Ross says:

lol, cacapa.

chrissy... says:

he is awful

I must say I was really pleased with the 3 points, which from most of the reports, sounded like we just about deserved. Similar to another poster, I had bad feelings coming into the game, and probably would have settled for a point, but to get 3 is excellent.

Next, Spurs at home >_>

You did, definitely. The first half, we were absolutely abysmal. Came out fighting in the second and thoroughly deserved our goal, but after the penalty, we just couldn't get back into it.

It all depends. If he continues to play as he has done then he'll be extremely popular (although it's not like the fans hate him now, any idiot with even a passing knowledge of football can see he's added to our team), and without wanting to sound to disrespectful to Spurs it's completely different to be seen as a 'hero' at a team like Spurs than it is to a team like Liverpool. It's a bit like Torres in a way - at Atletico he was worshipped, now he's obviously a massive fan favourite but relatively speaking he's not held in quite as high regard amongst the fans as he was at Atleti.

When a player like Keane or Torres basically becomes attached to one club to such an extent that they're seen as the be all and end all of that team, they'll probably never replicate that at another club. It would have been like Gerrard going to Chelsea a couple of seasons ago, he'd have been incredibly popular but never hero worshipped in the same way as he was at Liverpool.

Oh, and Darren Bent - it took him fucking long enough.

I thought I saw Matt Jansen at our tennis courts last month. He was a scruff bag at least <_<. Thought he might have been back visiting family as I know he's just had his second child but no. The guy was probably wondering why we kept staring as well, poor fella.

Ironically he actually had a motorbike with him as well. Managed to stay on it though so that also put an end to any belief it was Jansen. <_<

So Andy Coles retired, and says that the manager of Forest was intimidated by him...

"I wanted to go there and offer something, but it was a strange one from the start. I never knew what my role was. Was it to lend a hand, use my experience, or was it a PR thing, to sell a few more season tickets? I still don't know.

"I felt like the manager wouldn't have a conversation with me. I don't know if it's the right word, but he seemed kind of intimidated by me.

"People will look at it and say this is how they expected me to go, in a huff or in some kind of controversy, but it wasn't like that. I just wish Forest could have been honest. I've always been honest in my career, maybe too honest for my own good."

Still, he was a class player 10 years ago and that'll show well into the future given his goalscoring record, behind Shearer in the all-time record. Often flies under the radar when discussing great English strikers though. Shame he went out with a fizz rather than a bang but that's football I guess.

Edited by Zombie 'The Natural' Jesus

Was just gonna post this up.

Andy Cole was an outstanding striker and if he had negotiated a release instead of retiring I would have took him at Spurs on a short term spell, just like the Larsson at Man Utd last year.

Ya think he will go into management one day ?

Edited by The Slickman

Yeah, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Keane will always just be a cog in the Liverpool machine.

Awww bless, Pesci's holding a grudge.

On the positive side though, Darren Bent's doing alright huh.

Less of a grudge, more light mocking.

Anyway, for whatever reason I don't hate Spurs that much any more. I seem to go through irrational phases. Bent and Modric doing well probably helps, since I like them both a fair bit.