Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

I think straight reds for professional fouls are different from those for violent conduct I guess.

And you mean a game less, not a game more >_>

But yeah, he gets 2 instead of 1 due to this being his second of the season.

EDIT: Bah, beaten to it.

Edited by Big Hairy Man Face

Of course, but on the same point, do you not think denying your opponents a clear goalscoring opportunity in a match they have to win is much worse than taking slightly too long over a freekick and then kicking the ball away in frustration?

If it were upto me, red cards = 3 match ban, and if it's violent conduct it should be looked into to see if it's worth a further penalty. Missing a game against Fulham (no offence Liam <_<) is not an adequate deterrent for a "professional foul".

Edit: I'm not just referring to Vidic either here, I'm talking generally that a 1 match ban isn't enough.

Edited by Footjob Fever

I think the fairest way would be;

Violent conduct straight reds: 3 game ban

Other straight reds: 2 game ban (and then an extra game added to that if you've already been sent off in the season)

Accumulated yellow cards already get you a game ban, so a straight red should be more than that.

No, I don't. I think that stuff which is purely based on the game in question (professional foul, time wasting etc.) should be a one game ban and something which transcends the actual match (violent conduct) should be a 3 game ban.

No surprise that already Steve 'I'm a cunt' Howard is claiming United are cracking and cant handle pressure (usual complete nonsense rant he's used on seemingly every team in England). No surprise to see the papers also claiming Chelsea will win the title, going against everything they were saying a month ago.

Fulham next and I fear for them, because I think United are going to run rampant. Hopefully the loss to Liverpool has woken us up a little, certainly the players who decided they were going to play complete shit on the day. And I'm glad Vidic is out for two games, simply because it'll give him a chance to have a rest and get his head straight.

Of course, but on the same point, do you not think denying your opponents a clear goalscoring opportunity in a match they have to win is much worse than taking slightly too long over a freekick and then kicking the ball away in frustration?

It might seem worse in that respect but I don't think incidents should be looked at with the title race (or relegation?) in mind. They should surely just be judged individually as they would be in any other game.

Your opinion that all red cards deserve 3 match bans can be just as ludicrous as you think the current 1 match ban is. Someone could be given two silly yellow cards like over-celebrating or not standing far back enough in a wall. Surely they're not deserving of a 3 match ban?

It might seem worse in that respect but I don't think incidents should be looked at with the title race (or relegation?) in mind. They should surely just be judged individually as they would be in any other game.

Your opinion that all red cards deserve 3 match bans can be just as ludicrous as you think the current 1 match ban is. Someone could be given two silly yellow cards like over-celebrating or not standing far back enough in a wall. Surely they're not deserving of a 3 match ban?

Straight red cards I should've said, but I did kinda imply that I meant straight reds only when I made the same point you just made against -A-.

Anyone watching MOTD2? Pardew just said about Essien tackling someone "he absolutely rapes him."

Won't be seeing him again, then.

From the BBC:

Match Of The Day 2 pundit Alan Pardew has apologised for a comment which prompted 35 viewer complaints.

Pardew used the word rape to describe a tackle while discussing a game between Manchester City and Chelsea.

The former Charlton manager said in a statement released by the BBC that he "apologises unconditionally for any offence caused" in Sunday's programme.

The BBC said it had not taken a decision on whether the pundit would be invited back to work on the show.

The corporation also explained why there has been no on-air apology, saying: "What Alan Pardew said was misheard, it was thought he used the word 'rakes.'"

Pardew, who has also managed West Ham and Reading, was describing a challenge by midfielder Michael Essien on Manchester City player Ched Evans.

The 47-year-old said "He's timed it perfectly. He's a strong boy. He knocks him off - he absolutely rapes him."

The BBC stated that: "If it had been heard, there is no question there would have been an on-air apology."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7946964.stm

I love the excuse for there not being an on air apology.

Edited by therockbox

He's staying!

Rafa Benitez has signed a contract extension with Liverpool FC, keeping him at the club until 2014.

The Liverpool manager has extended his current deal, which took him to the end of next season, by a further four years.

"My heart is with Liverpool Football Club, so I'm delighted to sign this new deal," said Rafa. "I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club like this and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying. I always made clear I wanted to be here for a long time and when I complete my new contract it will mean I have spent over a decade in Liverpool.

"The club is greatly respected around the world due to its incredible history and tremendous heritage. It is my aim to uphold those values and help create a new chapter in our history.

"Throughout this process, I would like to thank the owners for their hard work in finalising the deal. All of us at the club want the same thing, which is to be successful by winning major trophies."

The completion of contract talks with Rafa is the third major boost for Liverpool fans in recent days, coming after fabulous wins against Real Madrid in the Champions League and Manchester United in the Premier League. The 4-1 win at Old Trafford saw Rafa achieve 100 league wins in the third fastest period of time for a Liverpool manager, surpassing Bill Shankly.

Liverpool Co-Chairman Tom Hicks said: "It is wonderful news that Rafa has made a long-term commitment to the football club. Since he became manager in 2004, he has been responsible for the great progress we have made. I know he will continue to build on his achievements as he has a tremendous hunger and desire to bring more success to the club - success our fans and everyone connected with the club deserves."

Co-Chairman George Gillett added: "With Rafa continuing to manage the team, we can look forward to more great football and success on the pitch. He has special abilities and qualities which are admired here at the club and around the world. Coming after our excellent wins over Real Madrid and Manchester United, this gives us great momentum going into the final stages of the season."

Rafa joined the Reds in 2004 following a successful period in charge of Spanish club Valencia, who he guided to two La Liga titles and a UEFA Cup success.

While he has been at the helm, Liverpool won the UEFA Champions League in Istanbul in 2005, the FA Cup the following year and reached another Champions League final in Athens in 2007. He has also overseen success in both the UEFA Super Cup and Community Shield.

The club are currently the number one team in Europe according to UEFA's co-efficient ranking system, based on results over the past five years in European competition.

liverpoolfc.tv