EWB's Favourite Artist 2008

YI

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering this was when it traditionally was, it's all good.

1. The Beatles

2. The Pillows

3. The Velvet Underground

4. Blur

5. Ben Folds Five

6. Gorillaz

7. Kanye West

8. Miles Davis

9. Johnny Cash

10. Lupe Fiasco

For comparison, my 2007 list:

1. The Beatles

2. The Pillows

3. The Velvet Underground

4. Blur

5. The White Stripes

6. Buddy Holly

7. Kanye West

8. XTC

9. Frank Sinatra

10. Art Brut

So basically, I've come across a solid top four and everything else is random guesswork. Rock.

I can accept different musical tastes, but The Smiths being absent from this many top tens is quite strange. They weren't as influential as The Beatles, nor in the same way, but the music is still "in" and isn't outdated.

You have songs like Handsome Devil,

and
are all quite cheery and easy to listen to, I find.

Usually it's the fact that Morrissey = depressed. Which, whilst the lyrics do portra imagery to that effect, the music and overall production have never put me into a depressed state and are usually very helpful for relating to "life's complexities".

I shall keep this campaign alive, and here's a lovely picture for you who wont click links or read >_>.

smiths_2.jpg

Speaking of the Smiths, I listened to Strangeways, Here We Come today. I think it is my least favourite Smiths album, though still very good. Fantastic first six tracks, though let down a bit by three of the last four tracks not being too good.

So yeah...vote for the Smiths!