The Day That Never Comes

tristy

Metallica's new single, "The Day That Never Comes", was released today. It'll be fun to play on Guitar Hero, that's for sure. Metalica was my favorite band growing up, so I have high hopes for this album, and the new single tells me I might not be disappointed this time around.

I was listening to it when it premiered on the radio this afternoon. They played listener feedback after they took a commerical, and I think this summed up my feelings about the song...

"My hair just grew into a mullet and my jeans just ripped themselves. It's 1987 again."

Even though I wasn't born in '87, y'know.

EDIT: Oh, and it's streaming on Metallica's website and their MySpace. Although, I'm sure it's out on the intarwebz somewhere by now.

Edited by Tristy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it already on my computer, and I gave it a good listen 3 times already. I've always enjoyed their stuff, even though it did stray away from their thrash roots a little bit. Still, quite a kick-ass song, and after hearing this song plus the samples on the site, definitely excited for this album.

I read somewhere that the live song that was put on the internet a couple of weeks ago, Cyanide, was apparently the worst song on the new album, and if that's the case, this is going to be a really good album because it wasn't really bad. I liked it. But The Day That Never Comes is really good. I have listened to it a few times already and it's great to have good sounding Metallica back.

Rick Rubin saved Metallica. I'm fucking loving this song... it is totally old school Metallica just with James' sobered up vocals.

What this man said. I listened to a bit of it earlier and it is sooo much better than anything Metallica have done in the past decade or more.

Definitely better than anything after Load... but I love Load, so if people want to go back further than that, I'd understand it. Only thing that sucks is all the fanboys are going to shit all over it just because it's Metallica and "tehy took my napsterz!" but it's a badass song. I wasn't that excited for the album, but now I'm dying to hear the rest of it.

Can't fucking wait until September 12 as my sig indicates.

This album is going to rock.

That Was Just Your Life - Sample of this song can be heard on Metallica.com "Taste Of Death #1"

The End Of The Line - Uses the intro of "The New Song". Can be heard on Metallica.com "Taste Of Death #2"

Broken, Beat & Scarred - I absolutely hate this title but the sample sounds good. "Taste Of Death #3"

The Day That Never Comes - Single.

All Nightmare Long - Haven't heard any samples yet. Should be up on Metallica.com today.

Cyanide - First song to debut live. Supposed "weakest" song on the album.

The Unforgiven III - Your guess is as good as mine. Kirk has been quoted as saying that the only thing this one has in common with the others is that it's a ballad.

The Judas Kiss - "Bow down sell your soul to me" song in the Mission:Metallica trailer.

Suicide & Redemption - Instrumental.

My Apocalypse - Supposed fastest/heaviest song on the album. The shortest song on the album as well, clocking in at just over 5 minutes.

I haven't heard the album version yet, but Metallica played this song and 'Cyanide' live at Leeds on Friday. They're both fucking awesome, and the fact people are saying 'Cyanide' is the weakest track will surely mean Death Magnetic is a return to form critically.

I cant stop listening to either of these songs, and like others have said if 'Cyanide' is the weakest track, then we're going to have one hell of an album on our hands.

There has been a few discrepancies (sp?) with the mastering of the new single over at the Metallica forums, saying that the quality is terrible. Has anyone else had any problems with the quality of the new single?

I have a problem with people calling "Cyanide" good.

Now, admittedly, I was reluctant to get my hopes for this album as I had looked forward to St. Anger quite a bit and was severely disappointed and then I expected the same for this one. When the name came out I thought "Seriously, WTF? That's the name?" and honestly, I still think that.

However, The Day That Never Comes is pretty good and has restored at least a little bit of my faith in the band.

That being said, to me at least, "Cyanide" is awful. It could've been the quality of the version I heard but it just sounded awful to me. Will wait to see what the rest sounds like though and perhaps I'll even enjoy it.

Perhaps. :shifty:

I bought 'The Day That Never Comes' today on iTunes and it is absolutely awesome, as is 'My Apocalypse'. Maybe Death Magnetic will be the album where all the critics/fanboys stop complaining? Well I doubt it, but us normal people should love it nonetheless.

Well they'll still complain because its not 1980's thrash anymore. But unfortunatly, its not the fucking 1980's anymore, and Metallica are mainly in thier 40's. Im just happy they've made what seems like a fucking solid album, not necasssarily a thrash album, but still a fucking solid album.